Law Enforcement and CB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

trace1

Something like "Emergency, CB Channel 9", and a call sign.

It was a blur at 85 MPH! :twisted:

Good thing "Smokey" wasn't hiding behind that sign... ;)

I'm not aware of any Law Enforcement agency that monitors CB Ch 9 in my area and I'm in close vicinity to an Interstate and 2 major State Highways.

N

N_Jay

Good thing "Smokey" wasn't hiding behind that sign... ;)

I'm not aware of any Law Enforcement agency that monitors CB Ch 9 in my area and I'm in close vicinity to an Interstate and 2 major State Highways.

and THAT is why I still have a CB!

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
To my knowledge Massachusetts State police do not monitor CB Frequencies, Many State Police/Highway Patrol Agencies (Mostly older units) Have long CB look alike whips for VHF-Lo band operations, even in Mass where the State has a new trunking system the 42.xx mhz frequencies are still repeated and active.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I just answered my own question... from myQSL.org: CB Radio License/Callsign/Call Letter Directory! it says:

"This is a list of CB radio licenses/callsigns/call letters, as issued by the FCC in the USA and the Department of Transport/Communication in Canada, during the years CB radio was regulated (1960s-70s). It is not a complete, comprehensive list; it currently only includes CBers who produced and exchanged QSL cards, and is taken from roughly 25% of the catalogued QSL cards in the myQSL.org collection (roughly 37,000 of over 150,000 cards). The licenses are listed in this order: a) older American callsigns (e.g. 01Q 1234), newer American callsigns (e.g. KAA 1234 or KAAA 1234), and Canadian callsigns (e.g. XM12-00001.)"

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Houston PD DOT Enforcement trucks sport the antennas, but whether they actually listen to them or not is questionable. Some of them even sport 102'' whips.. those guys get my respect. :D

swstow

Premium Subscriber
i remember last month when we got the the snow and ice storm i was coming home from work and heard a female ohio state patrol officer even say see was talking to a trucker on her CB ( he was stuck in the snow on I 275) i would say it safe to say OSP still has some

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I just answered my own question... from myQSL.org: CB Radio License/Callsign/Call Letter Directory! it says:

"This is a list of CB radio licenses/callsigns/call letters, as issued by the FCC in the USA and the Department of Transport/Communication in Canada, during the years CB radio was regulated (1960s-70s). It is not a complete, comprehensive list; it currently only includes CBers who produced and exchanged QSL cards, and is taken from roughly 25% of the catalogued QSL cards in the myQSL.org collection (roughly 37,000 of over 150,000 cards). The licenses are listed in this order: a) older American callsigns (e.g. 01Q 1234), newer American callsigns (e.g. KAA 1234 or KAAA 1234), and Canadian callsigns (e.g. XM12-00001.)"
Interesting. My Dad's was XM62..... or XM63........ back in the day. I will have to bookmark that page and dig through his stuff the next time I am down there. I know I saw a box of QSL cards there the last time I was home. He called himself "The Maritimer" They were nice shiny finish with a picture of A moose on the front.

kyguy

Premium Subscriber
I have talked to several troopers (including DOT) from Oh, Va, some WV and some Ky on cbs pretty recently. Ky trooper said he installed cb, ky dot was dept installed.

RodStrong

I bet they're listening to truckers.
:wink:

More likely they use them to hail truckers as needed. I doubt HPD gives a darn about listening to ch 19 while driving around Loop 610. Talk about audio pollution.

methusaleh

To my knowledge Massachusetts State police do not monitor CB Frequencies, Many State Police/Highway Patrol Agencies (Mostly older units) Have long CB look alike whips for VHF-Lo band operations, even in Mass where the State has a new trunking system the 42.xx mhz frequencies are still repeated and active.

When I worked in MA several years ago, it was the freedom of the individual Trooper to accessorize his/her cruiser with whatever the Trooper felt they needed to get the job done. I knew a few guys who put CBs in their cruisers, mostly to monitor channel 19. I do not believe that CBs were ever provided by the Commonwealth to Troopers; I know they were not issued going at least as far back as my earliest work with MSP in the mid-1990s.

tunnelmot

Yeah, I really don't think it's a "Monitor channel 9 thing", but more of another general "tool" in an officers' arsenal to set up radar traps, or just have in the back ground for further info on a specific location of an accident or such.
The miniscule amount that I actually do listen to CB, I could see how a Metro/Traffic/Truck enforcement unit could get use out of monitoring 19 for getting a better location/assesment from all the pissed off rig drivers stuck behind a drive-time accident on a major Interstate running through a metro area.
And for truck enforcement units, I have seen it used most offen as a "remote PA", ---"Yes, you in the orange Schneider truck, take it to the next exit."

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.