• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
That's not what the firmware release notes say. Starting with R18 firmware, the use of Depot CPS is blocked; it says nothing about "bricking" radios that were previously hit with Depot CPS. Let's leave the discussion regarding forbidden software/tools at that.

The APX 8000 comes configured by default with all bands enabled, with the ability to delete up to two of them, saving $800 MSRP per deleted band. Every other option needs to be configured just as with any other APX model; they are certainly not shipped "fully equipped with a full flashcode and encryption algo's" as @allend claims.

Exactly. I actually have configured a handful of single band enabled APX8000s and APX8500s for customers. Most typically want dual band (UHF isn't a popular band for public safety here in Texas) with trunking. Now, ordering the options on the APX8500 based consolette have been interesting...especially in applications where one consolette needs to handle multiple bands.

My suggestion to the OP...check out used-radios.com. I actually had several cusotmers in the middle of VHF trunking to 7/800 MHz trunking migrations using them to source APX7000s, APX8000s and trade-in/exchange XTL2500s to help stay inside of their initial budgets.

Tank67

My suggestion to the OP...check out used-radios.com. I actually had several cusotmers in the middle of VHF trunking to 7/800 MHz trunking migrations using them to source APX7000s, APX8000s and trade-in/exchange XTL2500s to help stay inside of their initial budgets.

We’ve actually used that website to get a few of our mobiles in the past, I’ll look into it. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Way over priced website for 15 year old radios.
They have a full service shop with on staff trained techs, proper equipment such as up to date service monitors, properly licensed (read not stolen bootleg software) for the radios they sell, and a proper inventory of OEM parts to refurbish used equipment. Their products aren't hacked together with stolen depot software put together in someone's basement.

One gets what one pays for. There is a world of difference between a grey market like eBay and an established business with a solid reputation and an established storefront/shop with a long customer list of government agencies and corporations versus some anonymous online auction seller with fake tagged hacked radios of dubious origin. Not even on the same planet.

brndnstffrd

Way over priced website for 15 year old radios.
The recommendation for this shop was for public safety usage. When lives are on the line, do you want to be stuck with the cheapest radio that could be found, or the one that costs a bit more but was properly checked over, serviced, and tested? For personal, ham, or even light business use (janitors, valet parking, etc) yes they might seem overpriced, but in a life or death situation finding a bargain should not be the primary concern when it comes to purchasing.

com501

Word on the street is that changing D software to say 'Factory' when flashed is trivial coding. Any dealer can call Motorola and ascertain the history of an APX, including whom it was sold to from the factory, and what the correct flash is.

Hit_Factor

With buyer protection backed up by eBay there is no risk to the buyer.

Even if the buyer were to disappear, eBay will cover you.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

allend

Premium Subscriber
Honestly why pay thousands of dollars for commerical grade radios when you can just use a scanner. I have done it in the past a few times and done it multiple times and always lost money when selling them and got radios that were turds and fake tags. I just learned to stay away from them for a hobby use and stick with scanner radios. Cheaper in the long run and no headaches to deal with down the road.

This is my experience and looking back I lost bunches of money and still at the end of the day I started the hobby with scanners and went thru all of this crap and now I ended up back with just scanners and less money in my pocket now just because I had to have an APX radio.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Honestly why pay thousands of dollars for commerical grade radios when you can just use a scanner. I have done it in the past a few times and done it multiple times and always lost money when selling them and got radios that were turds and fake tags. I just learned to stay away from them for a hobby use and stick with scanner radios. Cheaper in the long run and no headaches to deal with down the road.

This is my experience and looking back I lost bunches of money and still at the end of the day I started the hobby with scanners and went thru all of this crap and now I ended up back with just scanners and less money in my pocket now just because I had to have an APX radio.

So what you are saying is you have poor decision making skills?

allend

Premium Subscriber
So what you are saying is you have poor decision making skills?

Why are you making comments and trolling when this is not allowed and needed. Tells us all why you had to make a comment on anybody making poor decisions. Just going to report you to the admins for comments that are not needed.

Tank67

Gents, let's play nice.

This thread has went from me trying to see if an eBay seller is legitimate and has a good reputation with the people on the forum and me trying to ascertain if the radio he's selling is legitimate to a whole clusterf**k

Feel free to lock it if you wish, I think I've sort of got the answer I needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.