LF beacon FF

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Haven't heard that one yet but will keep an ear out for it. Up here the DGPS beacons come in pretty strong in that frequency range and might cover up the signal.

WA8ZTZ

Have never logged this one here in Michigan
Looks like it may be associated with the Atlanta Regional Falcon Field.
Some sources give the ID as FF and others say FFC.
Freq given is 316.
This whole thing is a bit of a mystery to me due to the conflicting information. ???
Anyway, nice catch being able to pull it out of the DGPS band.

GRETSCH43

Signal is definately "FF"....copy is weak here...only hear it every now & then. Using a Sangean 909 with a PK Loop.

GRETSCH43

Have never logged this one here in Michigan
Looks like it may be associated with the Atlanta Regional Falcon Field.
Some sources give the ID as FF and others say FFC.
Freq given is 316.
This whole thing is a bit of a mystery to me due to the conflicting information. ???
Anyway, nice catch being able to pull it out of the DGPS band.
Thanks, it may be a marker beacon from Atlanta.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Thanks, it may be a marker beacon from Atlanta.

ILS marker beacons are VHF mid-band. FF is not listed on the list W2XQ posted, which is a very good list of what's out there.

It might be a privately owned beacon on an oil rig, or something.

pjxii

The premier NDB list:

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/ndb.htm

Best reference I know of. HTH

I use this (William Hepburn's) site all the time, it's a great reference. Another excellent source which can be used without the internet is the North American NDB Handbook, and also the European NDB Handbook. I have both on my radio desk, and they can be printed with distances (and bearings) from your exact listening location.

http://ndblist.info/beacons/NDBpublications2018.pdf

Damn, moved things around and can't find them now. I'll try to look up FF and see what I find.

Last edited:

WA8ZTZ

ILS marker beacons are VHF and operate on 75 mcs.
However, they are often co-located with a NDB. The NDB is then referred to in
most cases as a outer marker locator (LOM).
Looks like the NDB "FF" being discussed in this thread is located near Atlanta Regional Falcon Field.
Going to do some more research on this.

autovon

Ø
The NDB at Atlanta Regional is FFC. Sometimes the AIRNAV website is not 100% accurate, so I looked up FFC on the aviation approach plates. FFC is listed on 316 kHz for the NDB 31 and ILS/LOC 31 (as the LOM) approach at Atlanta Regional on the current plates.

WA8ZTZ

The NDB at Atlanta Regional is FFC. Sometimes the AIRNAV website is not 100% accurate, so I looked up FFC on the aviation approach plates. FFC is listed on 316 kHz for the NDB 31 and ILS/LOC 31 (as the LOM) approach at Atlanta Regional on the current plates.

Yup, found pretty much the same thing.
The NDB associated with Atlanta Regional Airport Falcon Field is located at PECAT intersection 5.1nm from the threshold of RWY 31 on the 192 radial off the Atlanta VORTAC 116.9.
Frequency given is 316 and ID as FFC.
However, the OP is certain that the identifier heard is FF.
Various internet sources also give the ID as FF. Also, dug up some old approach plates which show the ID as FF.

The whole thing is a bit confusing but all part of the fun chasing these NDBs.

edit: Also found a beacon listed as FF in Minnesota but unlikely that the OP is hearing this as the frequency given is 337.

Last edited:

WA8ZTZ

Been thinking some more about this... my guess is that maybe at one time this beacon was a outer marker locator (LOM).
That would explain the 2-letter ID. For some reason, it is still may be sending the old ID "FF". Anyway, just a guess on my part.

Didn't go to work today, big snowstorm here. This is what happens with too much time on my hands... :)

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Was monitoring this frequency (+/- a few KHz) at 10:30pm last night and heard ZZR and ZMX but no luck with FF. DGPS beacons were strong too.

Status
Not open for further replies.