Lightning Surge Protector Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Do sw listening only.
Have a simple long wire of about 80 feet outside.
Then a Balun, and a coax run into house.

Always worried about lightning surges, etc as the ant is outside.

Looked at "lightning arrestors" on amazon, and there is the mfj unit, which is a bit pricey.
But doable.

Then there are about half a dozen others, all Chinese.
As expected, some folks think great, some say crap.

There used to be one also by alpha delta, but couldn't find.

So, for around, perhaps $25 or so, what would be your suggestions, please ?

Worth going with the mfj, at about double the cost ?

Thanks,
Bob

prcguy

I shop on Ebay for new unused lightning arrestors and have bought Polyphaser and Alpha Delta arrestors for $15 and less. Most Polyphaser types have DC blocks and the Alpha Delta will usually pass DC. This can be important if you need to run voltage up the coax for a preamp or remote switch, etc. Just be aware that putting one of these in line will not save you from a direct hit. They can help reduce damage from a distant strike where your long wire antenna can pick up thousands of volts.

prcguy

It has N connectors and you probably have PL-259s. Its a gas tube type and what I would want to know is the voltage it fires at. Since this is for a receive only application you can use a much lower voltage gas tube than someone transmitting with 1500 watts, so I would look for a receive only protector.

Hello,

Thanks, as always, for really good info.

What do you think of this one from Proxicast, via Amazon. Made in the U.S.:

Proxicast Coaxial Lightning Arrester for 0 to 6 GHz (N-Male/N-Female) - Protects 3G, 4G, LTE, GPS, Wi-Fi, 900MHz, Ham and Other Outside Antennas https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IFV7QXY/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_glc_fabc_2NQZB8JDSHV9QJA3CQB6

Bob

BOBRR

Hi prcguy,

The lower voltage gas tube is a thought I never would have come
up with myself. Sure makes a lot of sense. Never knew they were available like this.
All the ones i've looked at don't mention this specifically.

If you get a spare minute, might you suggest one or two, reasonably priced hopefully, that have such
a gas tube.

Again, thanks for help,
Bob

prcguy

Here is one company (used to be Industrial Communication Engineers or I.C.E.) and they offer receive only protectors at the bottom of this page. Morgan Mfg. arrestors

Hi prcguy,

The lower voltage gas tube is a thought I never would have come
up with myself. Sure makes a lot of sense. Never knew they were available like this.
All the ones i've looked at don't mention this specifically.

If you get a spare minute, might you suggest one or two, reasonably priced hopefully, that have such
a gas tube.

Again, thanks for help,
Bob

WB9YBM

Also some references that might help:
  • Bob Radmore, N2PWP "A Lightning Detector for the Shack", QST Magazine, April 2002, pages 59-61;
  • National Lightning Safety Institute, "Indoor/Outdoor Swimming Pool Safety" section 4.7 Sept. 6, 2018;
  • and if you're worried about your equipment while away from home: "A Lightning Operated Switch", CQ" Amateur Radio Magazine, March 2019. pages 27-9.
(And I'm sure there are other good sources out there, too.)

N8FNR

I would not buy cheap stuff of unknown quality from ebay or Amazon. How much do you have invested in your radio gear? Are you willing to risk it getting damaged to save a few buck? Buy Polyphaser of Alpha Delta from a reliable dealer.

BOBRR

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the thoughts.
Nice of everyone to take the time to help me out.

Anyone familiar with the MFJ-270 ?

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.