Linux install of ProScan and/or Butel ARC

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
With next year's termination of support for Windows 10, and that Windows 11 won't work on my existing PCs, I'm look at migrating to full Ubuntu Linux--no virtual box, no side-by-side with Windows, just pure Linux.

Before experimenting, has anyone installed or attempted to install ProScan and/or any of the Butel ARC products on a Linux machine (my intent is primarily for programming-not serving) using Wine or any other method?? Hints, tips, or traps?

(Yes, I've asked the respective developers about this and no they have no Linux experience or installation information.)

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Yes, in my experience most Proscan functions work fine on Ubuntu/wine except mass storage mode to read & write from the scanner. I'm sure there's a workaround to that I just don't have the patience or desire to find it since I run Windows VMs

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
I've had success running ProScan, Sentinel, and ARC536Pro on Linux Mint. Keep in mind that the VM's work both ways. If you do end up having issues with Wine/Linux directly, you could use a virtual Windows 10 with the bare minimums and just enough space allocated for just those programs.

FYI, you still may want to run both systems for a while in order to transfer stuff between operating systems. Just boot into Linux, and mount the windows drive so you can drag & drop photos, music, documents etc... After you transfer everything you want, you can wipe Windows from the drive with GParted. Eventually, you'll want to get around to editing the grub loader.

2manyradioz

I've had success running ProScan, Sentinel, and ARC536Pro on Linux Mint. Keep in mind that the VM's work both ways. If you do end up having issues with Wine/Linux directly, you could use a virtual Windows 10 with the bare minimums and just enough space allocated for just those programs.

FYI, you still may want to run both systems for a while in order to transfer stuff between operating systems. Just boot into Linux, and mount the windows drive so you can drag & drop photos, music, documents etc... After you transfer everything you want, you can wipe Windows from the drive with GParted. Eventually, you'll want to get around to editing the grub loader.
Do you still have ProScan working on Mint? Does USB serial work for you? (live scanner display on ProScan).
I can't get USB serial going using Ubuntu 24.04 and Virtualbox. Mass storage mode works fine (FL's up and down ok).
What did you do to get it working?

Thanks

dkcorlfla

Maybe consider a dual boot with Windows 10 and Linux. Air gap (no internet) the Windows OS so it can not update or catch a virus and use it only for programing radios. That's what I did. You can use thumb drives or make a dual use part on the HD (FAT32) so both OS can access in the event you need to download a new radio program.

2manyradioz

Maybe consider a dual boot with Windows 10 and Linux. Air gap (no internet) the Windows OS so it can not update or catch a virus and use it only for programing radios. That's what I did. You can use thumb drives or make a dual use part on the HD (FAT32) so both OS can access in the event you need to download a new radio program.
Thanks. I could do that, but everything else I do runs in Linux. I want to be able to have ProScan running in one screen while I do other things on the other.

TGuelker

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
Hello
Have you had this verry long, is it working well. Does it support Windows 11 or did they bypass the requierments.
Any other info would be great.
Thanks,
Tim
I have had the PC running ProScan continuously since February 2024. It ships with activated Windows 11 Pro. I am very satisfied with it. The price is reasonable. Plenty of RAM and storage. It is fanless, and never gets even a hint of warm.
The onboard Bluetooth is 4.2 (?) so I added a USB 5.3 dongle. The AMI BIOS has very little that can be changed, like disabling Bluetooth.

N4KVL

ÆS 1024
Premium Subscriber
I am a huge Linux fan, and have many computers that run it.

Are your sure that your computer is truly not Windows 11 compatible? Many people think this is a fact due to the shi**y MS tool that runs the basic compatibility check and fails to tell the user to list the reasons why it failed. The reason the 99.9% of Windows 10 compatible computers fail the check is because they are either not currently booting in UEFI mode or the Secure Boot feature of your BIOS is not enabled. Read this article.

dkcorlfla

Thanks. I could do that, but everything else I do runs in Linux. I want to be able to have ProScan running in one screen while I do other things on the other.
Ok, I see you want to run ProScan and keep it running instead of just using Windows to program the radios like I do.

In that case you might want to take a look at Boxes on GNOME.

A search for "gnome boxes windows 10" brings up lots of links.

GNOME is the default desktop for Ubuntu so it might work well for you.

etimothyd

I have had the PC running ProScan continuously since February 2024. It ships with activated Windows 11 Pro. I am very satisfied with it. The price is reasonable. Plenty of RAM and storage. It is fanless, and never gets even a hint of warm.
The onboard Bluetooth is 4.2 (?) so I added a USB 5.3 dongle. The AMI BIOS has very little that can be changed, like disabling Bluetooth.
Hello, Thanks for replying
I was planing to run at least four scanners on ProScan.
Do you think this tiny unit will handle that?

TGuelker

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
Do you still have ProScan working on Mint? Does USB serial work for you? (live scanner display on ProScan).
I can't get USB serial going using Ubuntu 24.04 and Virtualbox. Mass storage mode works fine (FL's up and down ok).
What did you do to get it working?

Thanks

I struggled getting it all working because this stuff is confusing to me. You will get it working eventually. The only thing I know about Ubuntu is that my son runs it on a pi. I can only help with what I know.

The SDS200 Is connected to the MiniPC via USB.

I have an IOGEAR WiFi dongle connected to the Ethernet port. The IP is reserved in my router. I use duckdns which is free.

To see if the port is open, visit Open Port Check Tool -- Verify Port Forwarding on Your Router and set the port the same as in ProScan (usually 5000)

This miniPC has been great. So I bought another as backup in case this fails and no longer available.