LMRN General Discussion

Muxlow

Super Secret
Of the articles (2), I am reading, they are quoting OPP dispatch will be ENC, not MOH. I will only believe it when I cannot hear MOH anymore (next year sometime).

From an Advanced Care Medic buddy, they've just got done their new radio training. And were told 100% encrypted so nobody can listen in and they can give more medical info over the radio.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Will the other VHF Simplex (Investigative) and UHF Tactical and simplex frequencies be also changing to 700 MHz?
Sure will be. ALL VR's will be converted to 700. OPP, EMS, MTO, MNR so on and on.
All the current VHF simplex stuff will stay they same but converted to P25 and encrypted

gary123

And as expected all will be AE. Common sense says expect different keys for each service as well.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber

Chester_Field

12AU7 / ECC82
Sorry, but I'm late to this LMRN change up.

Do I understand correctly that 138 and 800MHz will be used? The current 140's dropped?

I can see 138 working where I am, but not 800.

Cheers

Muxlow

Super Secret
More or less.. Same set of VHF frequencies for the mobile radios and tower sites. No more UHF vehicle repeater frequencies. Them are changed to 700 MHz

Vehicle radios are VHF still, portable radios are now 700 MHz.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
More or less.. the Same set of VHF frequencies for the mobile radios and tower sites. No more UHF vehicle repeater frequencies. They are changed to 700 MHz

Vehicle radios are VHF still, portable radios are now 700 MHz.
I am guessing the reason for staying with VHF. The lower the frequency the better the distance and the same amount of towers?

Chester_Field

12AU7 / ECC82
I am guessing the reason for staying with VHF. The lower the frequency the better the distance and the same amount of towers?
I made a few calls and there seems to be a high level of confusion over encryption. Some think that P25 Phase 2 IS the encryption. Slapping encryption on top of P25/2 will hurt coverage. I don't care what they say. Even just P25/2 you need a great S/N ratio for sync. AES Key system could be deployed but does not fall into the description. DES is more likely. This would allow active key changes to be sent over the air rather than AES radio reprogramming. If DES is used some "smarty pants" will come up with a key grabber. But those waters are starting to get murky grey. :)

Cheers

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It'll be AES, guaranteed. OTAR also works with AES, not just DES, so that isn't an issue either. And encryption will not hurt coverage, but that's a debate to be had in a different thread

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
In car repeaters will be 700MHz and sites will be VHF.

As Forts has already said, the system will be using AES.

bluwest

Premium Subscriber
I was speaking with an OPP officer and they had a 700/800 radio with GPS but it sounded digital. My G5 Unication on the 700MHz channel sounds like crap.

gary123

The radios are using Narrowband Mode. I am not sure how the Unication acts on that mode.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
Just wondering if the new system will use the old VHF frequencies or new ones? Ottawa using site 6.

Muxlow

Super Secret
New system will use the same VHF frequencies that are in use on the FleetNet current system. Vehicle repeaters/Beat repeaters will move from UHF to 700MHz