Lo-Jack Squawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobes

Feed Provider
For the past two weeks I'm getting a squawk on the Lo-Jack freq (173.0750) every minute. Ive contacted my locals without a response from them.

This would be an indication of the transceiver being activated correct? But according to Wiki the timing isn't correct because my signal is hitting every min or so.

Anyone have a clue?

LoJack transmits on a radio frequency of 173.075 MHz. Vehicles with the system installed send a 200 millisecond (ms) chirp every ten seconds on this frequency. When being tracked after reported stolen, the devices send out a 200 ms signal once a second.[4][5] The radio frequency transmitted by LoJack is near the VHF spectrum band formerly used in North America by analog television channel 7,[6] although there was minimal interference due to the low power of radiation, brief chirp duration, and long interval between chirps.[7]

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Unless you live in a high crime rate neighborhood the chances of stumbling on a LoJack signal are slim to none. Between the extremely low transmit power and the antenna shielded by the vehicles metal frame, the average transmitting distance is 3-4 blocks and thats if the receiver has an antenna outside the vehicle.

XTS3000

The OP says he's hearing a squak every minute. According to the wiki, after a car is stolen and activated, the lojack will squak once a minute.

Believe it or not, they LoJack motocycles and boats too. I heard a lojack hit in my area, thought nothing about it till one night I hear a vehicle stop in front of my house at 2am. Scanner was running and when it stopped on the lojack freq, it was at full strength! Never seen lojack hit full strength ever. I quickly pressed the hold on the scanner and removed the antenna and ran to the front window. Sure enough, the lojack hit was still either full strength or 1 bar shy of full. That HAD to be the stolen boat, as he drove away after rehitching the boat, the signal quickly disapeared.....along with the boat.

BonziBuddy

I'm getting a lot of them and I live in a low low crime area.

The cars themselves probably once and a while send out a beacon. It does not necessarily mean that it's a stolen one.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
LoJack has mountain top sites that squak once a minute to send out activation/deactivation requests. I have also heard these mountain top sites can hear LoJack signals but cannot DF them. LoJack units installed in cars only squak when activated and when they do its once every second. LoJack units are known to malfunction and activate by themselves sending out false stolen alerts, it happens quite often in the San Fernando Valley.

jobes

Feed Provider
Well Ive monitored the freq for years and never heard a peep until the last few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.