Location Based Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

tangosuite

Hi dear friends of the forum.

Before all, I'll like to say that I'm a totally newbie at this, so, maybe it's possible that my asking and conclusions might be wrong. Sorry for that.

I always be captivate by radio things, and now, maybe I have some more time to dedicate to this and I decide to buy a radio scanner. This wil be a UNIDEN BCD436HP!!!

Now I have a serious cuestion... I hope you can help me! For what I've been reading, this scaner uses what they call "Location Based Scanning" using the "radioreference" database. Where I live, in Argentina, there's no registers on this site of any frecuency to scan. So, I'm wonder if, I'll be able to use this unit where I live, I mean, if there is a "manual mode" or so to scan with no acces to a database.

Am I in a serious problem?

Thanks to all!

Best regards!

Ubbe

There are many of us who use Uniden scanners with location control outside of US.
You have to use a Favorite list and that works as a "normal" scanner to program with your own frequencies. You can actually use location control with some scanners like the BCT15 if you like, and also program "dangerous crossing" and other POIs to use when you connect a GPS to the scanner.

Uniden haven't fixed the BCDx36HP so it can handle GPS positions around the world, as they did to BCT15, only works with negative west positions from the GMT line, not positive east, but should be no problem in Argentina.

/Ubbe

tangosuite

Hi Ubbe, many thanks for your answer.

I appreciatte very mHi Ubbe, many thanks for your answer.

I appreciate very much you explanation but, I woul like to ask about one thing (please, dont forget that I'm a total newbie in this).

When you say that using "favourite lists" it may work as a "normal scanner", I imagine that I can press "some SCAN button" and the equipment will try to find some frecuencies near by me. Am I right?

Besides, you say that I must to "program it" with my frecuencies; I think maybe, when I find something interesting I can save this frecuencie as a favourite. Is that ok? Or to use as a "normal" scanner I mus to program it?

Sorry if I couldn't undestand your answer, it's because I'm trying to get into this radio world.

Many thanks Ubbe!uch you explanation

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes you can begin a search for frequencies by pressing a key sequence via the keypad.

From there you can add discovered frequencies to a Favorites List. The scanner can then use the Favorites Lists to function as a "regular scanner".

Location based scanning is an option with respect to Favorites Lists. You can scan all day long without usuing this feature.

Ubbe

If you have no known frequencies shared from other scanner entusiasts nearby, then you program the scanner to search a whole frequency band and you let it scan for a few days and nights when you are not using it yourself. Search both weekdays and weekends.

Then you can listen to the audio from the frequencies the scanner have recorded and store the frequencies in different categories for easy selection and listening.

Make the search ranges no bigger than it can be searched for less than 5 seconds. Longer than that and you will probably miss some transmissions.

/Ubbe

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
You probably know this already, but most folks here are in the U.S. or Canada. We have little or no knowledge of radio systems in Argentina. What I am getting at is it would be a good idea for you to do some more research before you pay a lot of money for a scanner. There are many large cities around the world now that either use encrypted communications, or use radio systems that the Uniden 436 can not monitor, like Tetra systems. If your area uses these systems you will not be able to monitor your police, or possibly fire department either. I would spend some time trying to locate good, local sources of frequencies and radio information online first to try to figure out what is possible in your area for you to receive. The Uniden BCD436HP is a very good radio, one of the best available right now, but it may not be of much use where you are located.

tangosuite

Yes you can begin a search for frequencies by pressing a key sequence via the keypad.

From there you can add discovered frequencies to a Favorites List. The scanner can then use the Favorites Lists to function as a "regular scanner".

Location based scanning is an option with respect to Favorites Lists. You can scan all day long without usuing this feature.

Hi ofd8001! Thanks for your answer! You really bring me some great news! It seems I'll be able to use this radio scanning frequencies on my site...

Thanks again!

tangosuite

If you have no known frequencies shared from other scanner entusiasts nearby, then you program the scanner to search a whole frequency band and you let it scan for a few days and nights when you are not using it yourself. Search both weekdays and weekends.

Then you can listen to the audio from the frequencies the scanner have recorded and store the frequencies in different categories for easy selection and listening.

Make the search ranges no bigger than it can be searched for less than 5 seconds. Longer than that and you will probably miss some transmissions.

/Ubbe
Some great news here again! For what I understand (newbie here!) I can let this scanner working without monitoring it in real time and then, when I have some time, going back and search what frecuencies have some activity. If that's rigth, this is amazing.

Just some confusion on your advice setting the range so it can search on less than 5 sec... Do you mean that I have to set an small range (maybe 140.000 to 144.000) and set the step very low, lets say, 2.5KHz?

Thanks for your answer dear friend Ubbe!

tangosuite

You probably know this already, but most folks here are in the U.S. or Canada. We have little or no knowledge of radio systems in Argentina. What I am getting at is it would be a good idea for you to do some more research before you pay a lot of money for a scanner. There are many large cities around the world now that either use encrypted communications, or use radio systems that the Uniden 436 can not monitor, like Tetra systems. If your area uses these systems you will not be able to monitor your police, or possibly fire department either. I would spend some time trying to locate good, local sources of frequencies and radio information online first to try to figure out what is possible in your area for you to receive. The Uniden BCD436HP is a very good radio, one of the best available right now, but it may not be of much use where you are located.

Hi sparklehorse! Thanks for respond!

I know of many of you are on the US or Canada, but, all your feedback are really important to me, even if you don't have any information on radio systems near by me.

You said that this UNIDEN Scanner is a very good Radio, so, I made a very good buying! Cant waiting to start into it!

Best regards!

tangosuite

Also check your local and national laws. In some countries possession and use of a scanner can land you in prison.

Thanks W8RMH for your advice, I'm aware of that! I'll never do anything that breaks any laws.
Thanks again! Best regards!

Ubbe

Just some confusion on your advice setting the range so it can search on less than 5 sec... Do you mean that I have to set an small range (maybe 140.000 to 144.000) and set the step very low, lets say, 2.5KHz?

It's difficult to say what step to use. If I look into the 7 year old data in the RR database, Argentina (Countrywide) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference , the national forrest parks uses 155.395MHz which indicate a 5KHz stepsize in that band. The 800MHz trunked systems seems to use 12,5KHz steps.

You really need to get hold of info from your FCC institution where you can see what bandplans are in use to be able to set a proper step size. If you search for trunked systems, they transmit on one or several channels all the time, so can enter the whole 800MHz band to search with a 12,5KHz step and still catch those system in the log.

The 155MHz might be a simplex band, the transmission are short, so you might need to scan only 154.000-155.995 using a 5KHz step, which will take about 5 seconds.

/Ubbe

tangosuite

It's difficult to say what step to use. If I look into the 7 year old data in the RR database, Argentina (Countrywide) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference , the national forrest parks uses 155.395MHz which indicate a 5KHz stepsize in that band. The 800MHz trunked systems seems to use 12,5KHz steps.

You really need to get hold of info from your FCC institution where you can see what bandplans are in use to be able to set a proper step size. If you search for trunked systems, they transmit on one or several channels all the time, so can enter the whole 800MHz band to search with a 12,5KHz step and still catch those system in the log.

The 155MHz might be a simplex band, the transmission are short, so you might need to scan only 154.000-155.995 using a 5KHz step, which will take about 5 seconds.

/Ubbe

Thanks Ubbe! Now I get it!

Can't wait to get the radio!!! I'm counting the minutes!

Thanks again!

Ubbe

Yes, that is the function you use to find transmissions in your area. You will need to set the step size correctly for each band. If you do not have the information of step sizes you can use NFM mode and 5KHz which will search with 250 steps/sec compared to other step sizes that use 80steps/sec.

I absolutly recommend to use an outside/roof antenna for better reception, or at least place the scanner close to a window (with the volume turned down at night) and the charger connected so that the scanner can do it's job a whole day or night.

/Ubbe

tangosuite

Yes, that is the function you use to find transmissions in your area. You will need to set the step size correctly for each band. If you do not have the information of step sizes you can use NFM mode and 5KHz which will search with 250 steps/sec compared to other step sizes that use 80steps/sec.

I absolutly recommend to use an outside/roof antenna for better reception, or at least place the scanner close to a window (with the volume turned down at night) and the charger connected so that the scanner can do it's job a whole day or night.

/Ubbe

Many thanks Ubbe! I'll take your advice!

But, I'm trying to get the most information about scanning, so, I would like to ask you if there are some information about choosing rigth the scanning step and how it's related to the modulation tipe... Are any modulation type for any frecuencie? I mean, Can I found something on 130.000MHz on FM or AM or NFM???

Besides, I have another question... Is there a way to start a trunking discovery from scratch (I mean, without using the radioreference database)...apparently, when I try to start it, it ask for a system name wich can't find...Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again!

Best regards!

Ubbe

Modulation and step sizes are mostly country specific, but airplanes and ships use international frequencies. Air uses 118-136Mhz in AM with 25KHz step but have recently started to use 8.33KHz steps on some channels to make room for more. Marine ships use 156MHz band for simplex and 162MHz for duplex.

Trunking discovery are used to find new talkgroups and users in an already programmed trunked system in your scanner.

/Ubbe

tangosuite

Modulation and step sizes are mostly country specific, but airplanes and ships use international frequencies. Air uses 118-136Mhz in AM with 25KHz step but have recently started to use 8.33KHz steps on some channels to make room for more. Marine ships use 156MHz band for simplex and 162MHz for duplex.

Trunking discovery are used to find new talkgroups and users in an already programmed trunked system in your scanner.

/Ubbe

Thanks Ubbe!

Status
Not open for further replies.