Location Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I've read a lot on Location Control, but am unclear on one thing. I have approximately 20 freqs listed that are various Ham repeaters used during severe weather by spotters. In order to scan all of them, can I simply turn off Location Control for that Department or do I have to just make the range to cover the whole state. I can't tell if Location Control allows something to be scanned regardless of where you are or if it ignores that department because you have Control turned off.

rdlinn

Premium Subscriber
With location control turned off it should scan regardless of your location. With location control turned on it scans when you are in the area depending on your location settings.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've read a lot on Location Control, but am unclear on one thing. I have approximately 20 freqs listed that are various Ham repeaters used during severe weather by spotters. In order to scan all of them, can I simply turn off Location Control for that Department or do I have to just make the range to cover the whole state. I can't tell if Location Control allows something to be scanned regardless of where you are or if it ignores that department because you have Control turned off.
If you are not using location control, then the scanner will scan every system, site, and channel programmed that is not set as 'Avoid'.

You cannot turn location off on a single department. But if you put your SkyWarn frequencies in their own, separate, Favorites list, you can set that list to not use location. Then, when severe weather is in your area, or possibly headed toward you, add that Favorites list to the ones you are scanning. That's what I do with the various frequencies used in & around my area here in the DFW Metro area.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Agree with the above. . .

Location Control is for the whole Favorites List. The "create a separate Favorites List" for just these 20 frequencies is your easiest option. Least number of button presses to turn on/off, assuming you do a Favorites List Quick Key. (Setting up a Number Tag for a channel could allow for a rapid "jump" to this Favorites List.)

That said, other options include set a Quick Key for this Department and turn on that Department Quick Key as desired, leaving it off for other times. Go through the keypress sequence so that you set this Department to Avoid, then repeat to unavoid it when desired (most cumbersome, but will do the job.)

Status
Not open for further replies.