log book

Status
Not open for further replies.

countryboy879

does anyone have a a page of a basic logbook for 2m and 440 for contacts? i want it to be printable so i can print it out when the page is full. I want it so it can be reuseable.

N0IU

Since you have a computer, is there some reason you want to keep a paper log? There are lots of free amateur radio logging programs. Personally, I use the logging program that comes with DM780. This is actually a whole suite of useful amateur radio programs and the log book is just one of them. The primary use for DM780 is for working the digital modes such as PSK31, RTTY, etc.

If you just want to keep a simple log on paper, you can just create a spreadsheet. You need a column for the date, time, frequency, the other person's callsign and name, and a space for any notes you want to make about the contact.

As far as the time, amateur radio operators use UTC time, sometimes referred to as Zulu time. This is very important when making contacts with people in other time zones, but since you will only be making local contacts, your local time might be sufficient. Personally, however, I think you should start getting used to logging contacts in the UTC time format. If you decide to upgrade and work HF, this will become absolutely critical.

As far as frequency, you might also want to make a column where you can put either an "S" or and "R" to indicate if it was a simplex (or direct contact) or through a repeater. There is a lot of other information you can keep, but that is totally up to you.

I gotta tell you however...

That most amateur radio operators generally do not keep a log of their local contacts. For most people, they use the VHF/UHF frequencies to chat back and forth with friends and a log book would fill up really fast. While there is nothing wrong with doing this, my guess is that you will get tired of logging every single contact you make through a repeater.

My advice is worth exactly what it cost you - $0.00. I have been involved in amateur radio for nearly 20 years and most of my opinions are based on my experience over those two decades.

countryboy879

ok thank you when my name is in the database and i start being on the air i will see how things go and see what happens...i might turn around and not even keep the log .....thank you again!!!!

georgew0819

Log Book

Since I'm a recently licensed Ham I keep a log book of my contacts showing the date, thier callsign, thier first name, the frequency we spoke on and the time as well as any comments. This helps me when making contacts on local repeaters since it allows me to match callsigns to names during QSO's.

57Bill

As an SWL in the 1960's, I used to use the old paper log books to log QSO's that I listened to on HF. It was part of the hobby for me at the time. If I was into it today, I'd still opt for the paper over the computer.

countryboy879

I LOOKED AT THAT LOOK PRETTY COOL AND U KNOW WHat i thank you for that and i will be using it when i get home to download it!!!very nice!!!!it must took you hours to make that!!!!!

K2AFY

I LOOKED AT THAT LOOK PRETTY COOL AND U KNOW WHat i thank you for that and i will be using it when i get home to download it!!!very nice!!!!it must took you hours to make that!!!!!

I am not the ham that created it. I have to agree with the the other comment that it is better in a db application. But most people are more familiar with spreadsheets, and I find a lot are intimidated by db programs.

jhooten

A spread sheet is a tool for managing numbers. As in accounting ledgers. A database is a tool for managing information. As in contact list. Proper tool for the job If you would have said why do some people use a Corvette to haul a pallet of bricks instead of a truck I may have been more inclined to accept your argument. .

Status
Not open for further replies.