Looking for ADS-B Data Sharing – Providing Free Receivers/Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

EC-7

Photo of the FR24 IOMEGA iConnect custom firmware box.

[Found this on Mark's blog site]

FlightRadar24 - ADS-B Receiver Kit Received
http://www.mark-rodgers.com/ads-b-receiver/
http://www.mark-rodgers.com/ads-b-receiver-temporary-setup/
my question is whats the catch thats not cheap hardware and they are just passing it out?

There is no catch. That's my setup in the links above.
The equipment isnt cheap for them to "hand out". The iOmega box is about $125 if you can find it and the ADS-B Beast is over $150, I forget the price. Plus there is the antenna, cables & shipping costs.

They do monitor it and make sure the receivers are always online. Ive gotten a few emails when mine was down for over 12 hours, luckily they reminded me to plug it back in, when I needed the outlet.

Im know they get some $$ from ads, but I dont think its enough to cover all the costs.
I also have an AIS Marine receiver from MarineTraffic.com and that was funded by a university grant, so maybe FlightRadar24.com has some kind of income source for the project also. I would think that there might be some big airline companies who help fund it, to improve their own systems too.
Its a win-win situation. I think its a great site and I love monitoring & supporting it.
I also have a friend in Texas who hosts a receiver.
Mine is Radar F-KRNP1 and his I think is F-KTKI1

Last edited:

reconrider8

yea i seen some go from around 500-1000 bux thats why i was asking someone could just run off with it and use it for their own use and such lol

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Also remember that they are in Europe so there may be a delay until the next day in responses due to the time differences.

Mike

reconrider8

i emailed him a couple days ago and he sent me an email back with a couple links and i dent another back like 2 days ago and havnt heard anything back yet thats why i was asking

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Update was posted over on the FlightRadar24 forum today.
http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/4914-Help-us-increase-coverage

Specific cities
• Oslo
• Kiruna
• Barcelona
• Nice
• Belgrade
• Bari
• Szczecin
• Tiblisi
• Las Vegas
• Houston
• Minneapolis/St Paul

General areas
• South Korea
• Brazil
• India
• Mexico
• Hawaii
• Alaska
• Western Australia
• Virginia
• Mississippi
• Alabama
• Rocky Mountain region (US)
• Plains region (US)

The ADS-B receiver that we are sending out is a special Flightradar24 branded unit developed by makers of the Mode-S Beast. The Flightradar24 Box is compact (measuring just 100x60x30mm). It connects directly to your router/modem by Ethernet cable. It doesn't need a PC to run and we supply an external Mode-S antenna, all cables including a GPS antenna for data timing precision.

Attachments

• fr24receiver.jpg
    fr24receiver.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,476

flightradar24

Hi all,

This offer to host free ADS-B equipment is still running. And even though we've put up a lot of new receivers around the US and Canada over the last couple of months, we still have a long list of locations that we are interested in.

Please see this page for requirements and the locations we are interested in:
Help Us Increase ADS-B Coverage - Free Equipment Offer - Flightradar24.com

If you already have ADS-B equipment, we'd very much appreciate your feed. As a thank you, all ADS-B data feeders get Flightradar24 Premium for free (exclusive web features plus all of our apps included). Find out more how you can start feeding ADS-B data:
Software - Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!

Best regards,
Fredrik

flightradar24

Looking for ADS-B Equipment Hosts in the US/CAN - Update

Hi all,

Thanks in part to great help from the radio communications community in the US and Canada, Flightradar24 now provides ADS-B coverage in large parts of the US and Canada.

New in the last couple of weeks is that we have enough receivers online in certain parts of North America to calculate positions of aircraft with the help of Multilateration (MLAT), by using a method known as Time Difference of Arrival (TDOA). By measuring the difference in time to receive the signal from aircraft with an older ModeS-transponder, it's possible to calculate the position of an aircraft even if it doesn't have an ADS-B transponder. Four FR24-receivers or more, receiving signals from the same aircraft, are needed to make MLAT work. That means that MLAT coverage can only be achieved above about 10,0000-20,000 feet as the probability that signal can be received by four or more receivers increases with increased altitude.

Given the relatively low ADS-B penetration in North America, MLAT coverage enables us to track a lot more aircraft in real-time.

We are now looking for more ADS-B equipment hosts to be able to offer MLAT coverage in more parts of North America. If you are interested in helping us, please check out:
Help Us Increase ADS-B Coverage - Free Equipment Offer - Flightradar24.com

Yokoshibu

If I am already feeding your network with the stand alone program and an SBS-1er does that aid your network in MLATing or not?

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
If I am already feeding your network with the stand alone program and an SBS-1er does that aid your network in MLATing or not?

With your SBS-1er, you would be sharing with more sites like MLAT on Planeplotter network.

Note if you changed to the FR24 box, You wouldn't be allowed to upload to other places like PlanePlotter, Live-mode-s , FlightAware ADS-B , etc. or any other sites you already share data to.
Flightradar24 doesn't offer any public rank/status pages for feeders. but sites like FlightAware does. http://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/

As another person told me the other day about the FR24 box.
They had a huge hole in coverage in my area and I actually had more local tracks than what they showed. I did apply for one of the receivers but got put off by not being able to send the spots to another service, their toys their rules and not a bad deal if you only want to upload to them.

Yokoshibu

Mtn biker I already contribute to the PP network as my station is currently an SMU. Thanks for the information but I already understood the limitations to the FR24 equipment.

Quiet frankly I hope that Gunter will release a version of the software that would let you feed everyone that we know exists... His Beast was / is so capable, I bought a Beaglebone with the intent of waiting for the release of radarcape... it's been collecting dust for a year and a half now and the beaglebone black has since been released... I recently have been contemplating just to go get a plain old beast at this point.

mtnbiker do you contribute? I see a few "other" contributors ivo San Diego but I don't see anyone who is a MU down there... it's a shame cause we need one in that area to augment the stations in LA and the surrounding area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.