ProScan: Looking for Recommendations on a mini computer to run proscan ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick223

Feed Provider
Anyone run proscan on a mini computer? Right now I use a notebook that turns into a tablet but I’d like something smaller. I use real vnc to remote in as well.

I do use a lot of raspberry pi’s but this can’t run proscan. :(

I appreciate any recommendations

cg

Premium Subscriber
I use thin clients for my private remote feeds. ProScan, Teamviewer, and No-IPs software for keeping it running if the dynamic IP changes.
I prefer the HP as the Windows software images are available on their website.

If there is a power failure, I have the bios set for restart on return of power. The thin clients will then restart on the last saved setup so any unwanted changes are discarded.

A little learning curve for setting them up but once you get the hang of it, they go quick. All solid state so power consumption is very low.

You can get decent ones for $25 or so.

They don't have the power for running DSDPlus or other similar programs but for ProScan, works great.

chris

jjbond

Banned
Banned
Anyone run proscan on a mini computer? Right now I use a notebook that turns into a tablet but I’d like something smaller. I use real vnc to remote in as well.

I do use a lot of raspberry pi’s but this can’t run proscan. :(

I appreciate any recommendations

I'm using an Asus Tranformer (tablet with keyboard dock with Win 10), several years old but works great but am eager to hear what options are out there, thank you for posting the question.

IMG_4969 (1).jpg

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Check out the Pipo computers. You might also find a decent Acer netbook as there are still many around

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I'm using an Asus Tranformer (tablet with keyboard dock with Win 10), several years old but works great but am eager to hear what options are out there, thank you for posting the question.

View attachment 72405

I have an older ASUS Transformer with keyboard dock system, but mine runs on the Android OS and not so compatible with usb radio inputs. I have to read up on how to possibly change the OS on my ASUS. That sounds painful for some odd reason :/ I am traveling with a Dell laptop and iPad, the Dell I have hit a ProScan snag but Sentinel works fine. I really liked the ASUS tablet but it got left in the dust due to the Android limitations. Cool little tablet tho...it is now designated for Angry Birds for my grand-daughter lol. I would like to turn it in to a companion tablet for my SDS100 but I think I would need the OS changed to Win10 for that to work. I actually haven't even tried it (the ASUS has usb ports on the keyboard dock) but when I saw yours it got me thinking. Maybe a weekend project when I get back home. :)

JD
kf4anc

Rikbirdradio

1561124389709.png Intel's NUC. I've got one running a system in my workshop. It measures approx. 4"x 4"x 2". It's got all the features of a big box. If frequent access is not needed for the microSDXC, a VESA bracket is included to mount it directly onto the back of a monitor.

N9JIG

Sheriff
One more vote for the NUC. I have two, a Hades Canyon (high end) and an older smaller form factor one. You can find fully configured units for less than $600 new, probably half that used. The entire unit is 4 inches square and can be mounted on the back of a monitor or operated headless remotely.

I run upwards of 20 instances of ProScan, 4 of PRO96Com and a RadarBox all off the NUC with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD, total investment under $700 for the NUC, RAM and SSD.

The Hades Canyon is more expensive starting at about $1000 but are more geared toward the gaming crowd. I have switched to using it since it supports up to 6 monitors at 4K, I needed 3 and the little NUC only supported 2. In this one I have 32GB of RAM and a 2TB SSD, it runs all this stuff and I am using 3 monitors and it doesn't even break a sweat.

If you buy new Intel support is great, they come with a 3-year warranty. You can save money and buy it as a kit, with no RAM or storage and add that yourself.

Hit_Factor

I have a couple NUCs 6th gen i5 and 7th gen i7.

Both have poor video performance, that's OK as long as you know that going in.

Both seemed to have driver issues, maybe drivers are released prematurely. If you have low tolerance for tinkering these kits might not be for you.

The i5 has trouble remembering what the sound subsystem configuration should be. It also has issues with HDMI passthrough commands on occasion. So Netflix client is out.

The i7 died and Intel had a new one at my door the next day. It was a complicated return process, but they do a good job of not making that the consumers problem. Instead of transferring my call each department called me for the required info.

For a specific task these could be OK, but not as a desktop replacement. Both are configured with 32gb RAM and Samsung Pro SSDs.

Right now both sit on a shelf unused. Waiting for a task.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The NUC was not originally designed for great video performance. As for drivers on the original (small) NUC after I installed Windows 10 it automatically found all the drivers for the computer itself. I installed the Uniden and GRE drivers for the serial cables and reset all the Comm Port numbers with no problems.

I have used HDMI monitors and not had any issues but I don't use it as a video device or for HDMI pass-thru commands.

The Hades Canyon NUC however was designed for much better graphics and has a decent Radeon graphics card built in to the same wafer as the CPU. While this would never approach a separate high-end GPU it does perform pretty darn well, especially for a small form-factor machine as this is. The Hades Canyon did require downloading drivers and software from Intel's website to get all the stuff working but that was not a big deal.

The first thing I did once I got all the drivers and software loaded for the Hades Canyon is to go into the RGB controller and shut off the Skull.

I considered the Hades Canyon as a replacement for my Mac as I was considering replacing the 5K iMac at the time but decided the best replacement for a Mac is another Mac so I got the Mac Mini. I wrote a blog entry on this process, please see
Mac Mini vs. Intel NUC: Closer than I thought!

I agree that the smaller NUC is not right as a desktop replacement unless you are just using it for basic or secondary use. The Hades Canyon however gives a lot of desktops a serious run for the money and could be a worthy competitor unless you are a serious gamer or video editor.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
There are a ton of mini-computers on Ebay new or used at very low prices. Many even come with some type of warranty. You can even find them with RS232 Serial Ports if you want/need them! USB ports of course. Most of them even come with Windows 10 installed.

jjbond

Banned
Banned
got all the drivers and software loaded for the Hades Canyon is to go into the RGB controller and shut off the Skull.

I considered the Hades Canyon as a replacement for my Mac as I was considering replacing the 5K iMac at the time but decided the best replacement for a Mac is another Mac so I got the Mac Mini. I wrote a blog entry on this process, please see
Mac Mini vs. Intel NUC: Closer than I thought!

I agree that the smaller NUC is not right as a desktop replacement unless you are just using it for basic or secondary use. The Hades Canyon however gives a lot of desktops a serious run for the money and could be a worthy competitor unless you are a serious gamer or video editor.

I read your blog but will go read it again, great info, thank you... I've been watching a lot of vids on that Hades, wow they look awesome.... thanks again for the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
NUCs are solid machines. They are basic computers not designed for high end video applications, but work fine for office tasks and ProScan.

Status
Not open for further replies.