• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Lost Handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivers1234

Hi. I lost my handheld somewhere on a short trip. Any ideas on how to keep from losing it? tag it somehow? its a powerwerx 505 grms.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
As far as a way to not lose it... keep up with it?? Perhaps a Tile or an Airtag but that's almost what that radio cost. Use the belt clip, keep it in a harness, attach your keys to it, mate it with your wallet, keep it with all the other things you manage to not lose every day.

Lots of good answers on your other thread as far as labeling.

RFI-EMI-GUY

some radios like ICOM IC-4008A and Yaesu models, have an automatic transponder system ATS/ARS function that is primarily to confirm you are still in range with another radio. It could be used to locate a lost radio if the feature were turned on. A bit slow, but if you are retracing steps back, it is probably good enough.

a417

U+0000
Tie one of those Tile things to it?

Or implement one inside it. I've broken more than my fair share by having them get stepped on, doors closed on them, etc. If the innards are still good, they can be direct wired off a device's battery - as long as the voltage is correct. I have 2 TV remotes with now integrated tiles in them, and they run off the AAA battery in the device.

CaptDan

I just use those name address labels all these groups looking for donations send me for free. I have one in the "inside" side of every battery, along with one on the inside of the radio at the battery case.

On radios with an easy to remove case, I also put a sticker on inside of the case, sometimes with call sign, sometimes with name and e-mail address.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
I just use those name address labels all these groups looking for donations send me for free. I have one in the "inside" side of every battery, along with one on the inside of the radio at the battery case.

On radios with an easy to remove case, I also put a sticker on inside of the case, sometimes with call sign, sometimes with name and e-mail address.

I actually put "if found please call.." with my cell phone number as my boot screen on my scanners. Bonus is if someone tries to claim it's theirs you can prove otherwise, given that they don't know how to change/wipe it. Makes it a little harder to do versus peeling a sticker off 🙂

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I have also been doing the “Reward if found - Please call XXX-XXX-XXXX” on my radio boot screens as well.

CaptDan

yes all nice ideas - ya both assuming that the battery is still good if/when the radio is found by someone. Whatever works for you - we have operational information on the boot screen - I figure if a radio is found by someone inclined to be honest they will know how to contact us - if they stole the radio or are inclined to be on the dishonest side, they couldn't care less about a label or boot screen.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I always program my radios to display "STOLEN - CALL (555) 555-1234."

Then if someone that doesn't know how to program it "finds" it, they won't be able to sell it to a pawn shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.