Low band lock up

Status
Not open for further replies.

soberone14

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that all my low band frequencies lock up while I'm in my 18 wheeler. Is there any suggestions what could be causing it and any way of avoiding the low bands. I have a 536hp. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thank you.

marksmith

The best solution is not to have anything programmed in the VHF LO band.

In many parts of the country this is not a problem, because nobody is using low band any more.
If you are using Sentinel, then using "nationwide frequencies" is what is probably causing your problem. You can turn that off in the radio itself.

Probably doing that, and getting a GPS receiver for your radio would be the best two options to eliminate getting stuck on some low band noise .
In 18 wheeler and running a lot of areas you may already use GPS with the 436, but if you don't I highly recommend it and the full database as opposed to programming favorites lists while traveling. Favorites lists only when staying in one area.

soberone14

Premium Subscriber
The best solution is not to have anything programmed in the VHF LO band.

In many parts of the country this is not a problem, because nobody is using low band any more.
If you are using Sentinel, then using "nationwide frequencies" is what is probably causing your problem. You can turn that off in the radio itself.

Probably doing that, and getting a GPS receiver for your radio would be the best two options to eliminate getting stuck on some low band noise .
In 18 wheeler and running a lot of areas you may already use GPS with the 436, but if you don't I highly recommend it and the full database as opposed to programming favorites lists while traveling. Favorites lists only when staying in one area.
I use GPS already on my 536 could it be a grounding issue

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Grounding/RFI would be my first guess. Newer trucks are the worst when it comes RFI.

Placing chokes on the power will help.

When I was OTR many moons ago, I had a Volvo that was a lot of work to make usable on HF due to RFI.

soberone14

Premium Subscriber
Grounding/RFI would be my first guess. Newer trucks are the worst when it comes RFI.

Placing chokes on the power will help.

When I was OTR many moons ago, I had a Volvo that was a lot of work to make usable on HF due to RFI.
I will try a choke on the AC power cord thanks

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Also if you are running an inverter, at least the one I had, put out enough RFI to jam the everything I swear. Turning it on would jump the noise floor 6 S units EVERYWHERE on all bands including VHF and UHF. I tried every filter I could think of, but there was no taming that beast. I sold it and got a better one.

Status
Not open for further replies.