• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

M/A-com P7100ip programming; got no clue what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireguy51

I recently won a surplus auction, and ended up with this radio, an M/A-com P7100ip (pictured below). I bought a battery & charger for it and it seems to work and is in really nice shape. I'd like to use it (still using conventional and/or digital VHF freqs), but I have no idea what software I need to program it or the cable to do so either. I have a decent amount of experience with programming older Kenwoods, so I think I could feel my way through programming this radio. I just don't know if it would be cost effective to get the programming stuff for just one radio, or even where to get it. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6284.jpg
    IMG_6284.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Radio info.jpg
    Radio info.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 53

RayAir

I recently won a surplus auction, and ended up with this radio, an M/A-com P7100ip (pictured below). I bought a battery & charger for it and it seems to work and is in really nice shape. I'd like to use it (still using conventional and/or digital VHF freqs), but I have no idea what software I need to program it or the cable to do so either. I have a decent amount of experience with programming older Kenwoods, so I think I could feel my way through programming this radio. I just don't know if it would be cost effective to get the programming stuff for just one radio, or even where to get it. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

You need RPM to program it and here is the cable:

You'll also need the RS232-USB interface and need to install the driver for it.

To program the P7100 connect the programming cable to the interface and plug in the USB. Connect the other end of cable to the radio UDC and make sure it's held to the radio securely.

Open RPM on your computer. Power on your radio THIS WAY: Press and hold down the 3 side buttons as you turn it on.

The screen should be blocked out. That's program mode. Now verify COM settings by going to "device manager" and double click Ports (COM & LPT). It will give a number for the ATEN USB to Serial Bridge, for example COM2).
Then in RPM under Tools make sure the Comm settings is set to the same number, in this case COM2.

You should now be able to read the radio.
Save the original personality in case something goes wrong and you need to go back to it.

Write down the radios Feature Data string before you start too. If you can't view it on display you'll need to open RM which comes with RPM.

If you have ProGrammer you can back up the Radio Code and DSP code and save to file.
This works for the 7100 even if it was programmed by RPM and not ProGrammer.

You'll need to find a dealer to get RPM.

fireguy51

You need RPM to program it and here is the cable:

You'll also need the RS232-USB interface and need to install the driver for it.

To program the P7100 connect the programming cable to the interface and plug in the USB. Connect the other end of cable to the radio UDC and make sure it's held to the radio securely.

Open RPM on your computer. Power on your radio THIS WAY: Press and hold down the 3 side buttons as you turn it on.

The screen should be blocked out. That's program mode. Now verify COM settings by going to "device manager" and double click Ports (COM & LPT). It will give a number for the ATEN USB to Serial Bridge, for example COM2).
Then in RPM under Tools make sure the Comm settings is set to the same number, in this case COM2.

You should now be able to read the radio.
Save the original personality in case something goes wrong and you need to go back to it.

Write down the radios Feature Data string before you start too. If you can't view it on display you'll need to open RM which comes with RPM.

If you have ProGrammer you can back up the Radio Code and DSP code and save to file.
This works for the 7100 even if it was programmed by RPM and not ProGrammer.

You'll need to find a dealer to get RPM.

Wow! Thank you! That sounds like a lot.

I may have a couple issues. By saying the "3 side buttons," I'm assuming you mean the "up" and "down" shaped buttons, and the "Transmit" button. The problem is, that I cannot get the radio to transmit using the button on the side, making me think that it might not work. If it is one of the 3 buttons that puts the radio into "program mode," I might be screwed.

Secondly, that programming cable is more than I paid for the entire lot I won. Yay me!

Lastly, it almost sounds like I'll need 2 different kinds software to even do the programming. Are either of these going to be helpful for me?

MA-COM Conventional & Provoice ProGrammer (R18B): DOWNLOAD | eBay

Thanks for your reply!

David

RayAir

Wow! Thank you! That sounds like a lot.

I may have a couple issues. By saying the "3 side buttons," I'm assuming you mean the "up" and "down" shaped buttons, and the "Transmit" button. The problem is, that I cannot get the radio to transmit using the button on the side, making me think that it might not work. If it is one of the 3 buttons that puts the radio into "program mode," I might be screwed.

Secondly, that programming cable is more than I paid for the entire lot I won. Yay me!

Lastly, it almost sounds like I'll need 2 different kinds software to even do the programming. Are either of these going to be helpful for me?

MA-COM Conventional & Provoice ProGrammer (R18B): DOWNLOAD | eBay

Thanks for your reply!

David

You will need RPM to program your radio.

ProGrammer 18 comes with Radio Maintenance. That's where you can save your radio code and dsp code to file.
This would be done in case you had to do a recovery. Read and write the radio features and tracking data to a file too.

RPM radio maintenance doesn't let you back up radio or dsp code.

Back to the subject at hand, a common problem with the Jaguar and P7100 series is the PTT switch quits working. A piece of rubber under the PTT cover turns to gum.
You'll need to carefully pop the PTT cover off with a small flat head screwdriver then clean away the goo. I had to do this once and I used the screwdriver tip to push the PTT button down as I held the other two buttons while turning the radio on.
That gets you into program mode.
You can just use a remote speaker mic after its programmed and forget about the PTT or you can repair the button issue.

You need to buy RPM. RPM10 would be fine for this radio if you can get it. Most likely you'll need to purchase a newer version of RPM from a dealer. If you don't need trunking the conventional version of RPM is a lot cheaper

fireguy51

You will need RPM to program your radio.

ProGrammer 18 comes with Radio Maintenance. That's where you can save your radio code and dsp code to file.
This would be done in case you had to do a recovery. Read and write the radio features and tracking data to a file too.

RPM radio maintenance doesn't let you back up radio or dsp code.

Back to the subject at hand, a common problem with the Jaguar and P7100 series is the PTT switch quits working. A piece of rubber under the PTT cover turns to gum.
You'll need to carefully pop the PTT cover off with a small flat head screwdriver then clean away the goo. I had to do this once and I used the screwdriver tip to push the PTT button down as I held the other two buttons while turning the radio on.
That gets you into program mode.
You can just use a remote speaker mic after its programmed and forget about the PTT or you can repair the button issue.

You need to buy RPM. RPM10 would be fine for this radio if you can get it. Most likely you'll need to purchase a newer version of RPM from a dealer. If you don't need trunking the conventional version of RPM is a lot cheaper

>sigh< Thanks for the help.

merlin

Just turning the radio on, press the PTT. It will show transmit on the screen or if the personality is wiped, it will 'BOOP'
If the PTT button does nothing at all, Likely the rubber boot under the PTT button has turned to goo.
Pry of the button with a knife. (careful, it will fly) then you can see the rubber seal
That the case, you need to clean away that goo. NOTE- it is messy, sticks to everything.
I use a toothpic to dig the rubber out of the case hole and a few paper towels. Use care not to damage the actual membrane switch.
Next you need to fabricate a tiny button (shim) that fits the case hole and thickness that the button can press the switch with.
Replace the button and should function thereafter.
The programming mode is entered pressing all 3 of the side buttons together and turning on the power.
My first steps are using RPMs radio maintenance to read radio info. I save that with a screenshot.
Next read tracking and features and save those to files.
I suggest getting RPM v. 14C05, that will read the personality (unless programmed with programmer)
Save any personality. Even if wiped, you can build a personality from that.
I only have 8 more P7100ip's left to fix.
Need more help, just ask.
73s

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Likely the rubber boot under the PTT button has turned to goo.
Pry of the button with a knife. (careful, it will fly) then you can see the rubber seal
That the case, you need to clean away that goo. NOTE- it is messy, sticks to everything.
Messy is an understatement!

RayAir

Just turning the radio on, press the PTT. It will show transmit on the screen or if the personality is wiped, it will 'BOOP'
If the PTT button does nothing at all, Likely the rubber boot under the PTT button has turned to goo.
I use a toothpic to dig the rubber out of the case hole and a few paper towels. Use care not to damage the actual membrane switch.
Next you need to fabricate a tiny button (shim) that fits the case hole and thickness that the button can press the switch with.
Replace the button and should function thereafter.
The programming mode is entered pressing all 3 of the side buttons together and turning on the power.
My first steps are using RPMs radio maintenance to read radio info. I save that with a screenshot.
Next read tracking and features and save those to files.
I suggest getting RPM v. 14C05, that will read the personality (unless programmed with programmer)
Save any personality. Even if wiped, you can build a personality from that.
I only have 8 more P7100ip's left to fix.
Need more help, just ask.
73s

His PERS Ver is 34.00.
Looks like it was programmed with ProGrammer 20.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Is there any way to know the date of manufacture of a P7100 based on serial number or via another method? I found a few that have the exact features I need and I was just wondering when they were made. If that’s not possible, can someone give me ballpark beginning and end of manufacture dates?

Thanks,
Brian

RayAir

Is there any way to know the date of manufacture of a P7100 based on serial number or via another method? I found a few that have the exact features I need and I was just wondering when they were made. If that’s not possible, can someone give me ballpark beginning and end of manufacture dates?

Thanks,
Brian

Can't you just go into menu and then revision? I have two 7100's. One says built date 12/03/07 the other 6/10/10.

If it helps:
7100 (2010)
RU101219V62 R1A

7100 (2007)
RU101219V31 R1B

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Can't you just go into menu and then revision? I have two 7100's. One says built date 12/03/07 the other 6/10/10.

If it helps:
7100 (2010)
RU101219V62 R1A

7100 (2007)
RU101219V31 R1B
Thanks! If this is the actual manufacture date, then that’s perfect! I guess that means my XG100M is less than two years old! I figured that date was a software build date or something…

-B

Status
Not open for further replies.