Macon County EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
It was reported in the Franklin newspaper last week that Macon County EMS has received grants to switch from a conventional VHF repeater network (using three geographically spaced repeaters) to a digital microwave network. I spoke today to an EMS official who said it is not on VIPER (they already use VIPER for communicating with the ER).

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what type system a "digital microwave repeater network" might be? Could it be NXDN?

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636 (GMRS)

thrownout27

Premium Subscriber
It would sound to me then that it will be, whatever the system is, something that isn't being done elsewhere in the region as well. In Haywood County, the only traffic I really get is on VHF and UHF as well as through VIPER for state agencies. Neighboring counties,aside from Buncombe, are similar. Though I live on the east end of the county, I have yet to have luck monitoring the digital systems in Buncombe for Asheville and the county.

In a search, I saw nothing but VHF and UHF listed in Macon County and didn't detect anything new?

Last edited:

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
JUST a wild a-- guess.

Is the Franklin newspaper talking about how the repeater sites are linked?
Many newspaper reporters are technologically challenged, they hear one buzzword, and then write nonsense techno-babble in their articles.

The State of NC has used 450 mhz links in the western parts of NC for many years.

Does Macon County have similar RF links between the repeater sites, and is now upgrading them to microwave links?
If Police, fire, Public Works repeaters are co-located at the EMS sites, this may be a major back-haul upgrade for ALL Macon County systems.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
JUST a wild a-- guess.

Is the Franklin newspaper talking about how the repeater sites are linked?
Many newspaper reporters are technologically challenged, they hear one buzzword, and then write nonsense techno-babble in their articles.

The State of NC has used 450 mhz links in the western parts of NC for many years.

Does Macon County have similar RF links between the repeater sites, and is now upgrading them to microwave links?
If Police, fire, Public Works repeaters are co-located at the EMS sites, this may be a major back-haul upgrade for ALL Macon County systems.

My only (uninformed) guess is that your thoughts about "microwave links" may very well be close to what they are developing. As many WNC RR readers know, Macon County has a handful of existing UHF repeaters for Fire and Sheriff on UHF - Wine Springs (West), Cowee (North), Satulah (Highlands), Scaly Mountain (South), and Dills Peak (Highlands Rd.). Units using UHF can opt for the closest repeater if transmission is poor. But EMS uses VHF repeaters (on 155.325) in similar locations. It will be very interesting to see what develops. I will keep our WNC subscribers informed as this develops and also submit whatever RR Database changes are appropriate.

Mike
Franklin, NC
WQIT636 (GMRS)

Status
Not open for further replies.