Major/Bizarre Incidents Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctrabs74

Seeing as some of the other fourms have such a thread, I'd like to start an incident thread re: major incidents (2-3+ alarm fires/major accidents with multiple victims/etc) or stranger things that we've heard over our scanners in Pennsylvania...

Starting off in Chester County:

Around 02:11 this morning, 44 (Westwood) and 29A (Pomeroy Ambulance, covering Ambulance 44) get hit out for an accident on the US 30 Bypass EB west of PA 82 in Valley Twp. The job is later upgraded to an accident with entrapment. Ambulance 44 - which was en route to Brandywine Hospital on an unrelated call - confirmed the reports of 1 pick-up on its side with 1 patient trapped. Rescue 43 (West End/Coatesville, covering Rescue 44) and Medic 46 (Minquas ALS/Downingtown, covering Medic 93/Brandywine Hospital ALS) added to the call.

Upon arrival, Deputy 44 reported the patient had self-extricated, and recalled Rescue 43. About 10 minutes later, Medic 46 was released by BLS (Ambulance 29-1); 6 minutes later, the BLS crew was released, with Deputy 44 announcing that the "police would handle the patient." Sounded like a drunk driver to me (they didn't exactly say the guy was drunk; I've learned how to read between the lines when scanning).

Meanwhile, Ambulance 46-1, who went responding with the medic on board (presumably), had to go west on 30 and turn around at the Airport Road exit to return to its station. Apparently, some knucklehead also decided to head westbound on 30; the only problem was, said knucklehead was heading eastbound on 30, getting off at the same exit. The ambulance then followed the vehicle along Lincoln Highway (Business US 30) through Valley and into Coatesville.

The knucklehead, who was driving a Toyota Avalon, then went north on 82 to get back on 30 EB. A Coatesville police officer caught up to the Toyota on 30 just west of Brandywine Hospital and waited for State Police to arrive. Problem was, the nearest available PSP car was in South Coventry (the zone cars assigned to 30 were at the accident scene). The officer gathered the operator's and witness' info and would later relay that to PSP. During all this, the PSP dispatcher was "whining" about the county not letting them know what was going on until after the car was pulled over.

Okay, recap over. Your turn...

resq2

on a totally different topic. does chester county have a new dispatcher or something during the week? i've been hearing alot of screw ups recently.

ctrabs74

resq2 said:
on a totally different topic. does chester county have a new dispatcher or something during the week? i've been hearing alot of screw ups recently.

Which band are you referring to? Are you referring to the female dispatcher who seems to have bad timing recording fire/EMS pages? As in turning "Station 55 Ambulance, 200 S New St, West Chester Borough, injured person from a fall" into "...5 Ambulance, 200 S New St, West Chester Borough, injured person from a f..."?

Or is it something different?

Speaking of which, a few hours ago, they were doing testing on the 160.185; dispatcher's first page: "Chester County is testing" followed by a 10-count. There seemed to be a longer pause between 9 and 10. Second page: "Chester County is testing" followed by a pair of 10-counts - 1 through 10 then 10 through 1, with a slightly longer pause between 2 and 1.

ctrabs74

Around 02:00 tonight, a fire broke out at the Dane Decor Furniture store at 216 E Lancaster Av, Downingtown Boro, Chester County. Multiple mutual aid companies were dispatched, ultimately went to 5 alarms. FUC approx 05:00 (batteries on the scanner were very low). Suppression of fire hampered by serious water supply issues, resulting in the dispatch of a tanker task force - in the center of Downingtown's business district. Four master streams were utilized - Ladder 45 (Alert), Tower 6 (Exton), Ladder 4 (Malvern), Tower 47 (Lionville). Water was drawn from the duck pond across from Kedron Park and from the Brandywine Creek.

On a side note, this marked the first time that I've had the "Priority Plus" feature activated on my 396.

ctrabs74

Three 2-alarm jobs in the west

Around 21:00 Saturday night, a 2-alarm fire broke out at the Gordon Elementary School in Coatesville. Fire initially reported outside the building, w/extension into 1st floor area. Numerous M/A to scene.

Around 10:00 Sunday morning, a 2-alarm fire broke out at Station 43 (West End Fire Co.; Coatesville City Bureau of Fire). Inital reports inidcated fire in the upper level of the building; heavy fire through the roof. 1 f/f airlifted to Lancaster General via SkyCare 1 following the collapse of the roof. 2 other f/fs reportedly taken to Brandywine Hospital with minor injuries.

Late Sunday night, several companies from Chester and Lancaster County were dispatched to a 2-alarm barn fire in Christiana Borough. NFI, as I can't get Lancaster on my scanner.

I have to wonder how much sleep most of these guys in Western Chester County got this weekend...

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
Please take the Incident breaking news off of these forums. There are many other places to post this stuff.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.