Marietta, GA - Cobb County to spend $13.3 million to upgrade emergency radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I will let you figure that one...I'm not blasting names on the forum..sorry

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I will let you figure that one...I'm not blasting names on the forum..sorry

Then if you're not going to quote the source, I say it's just more rumor.

I will email the Cobb radio systems manager on Monday and post the response (if I get one) and go from there.

What our county has/is purchasing with out tax money is not some big secret. The people making the decisions have to be held accountable.

K4SVT

Banned
New tip...yes your right...why would they buy more radios that will not phase 2...then when the switch happens they will just have to give them back and then wasted money that could have went to the capable radios..

K4SVT

Banned
More the reason to encrypt our listeners...I hope that does not happen...

K4SVT

Banned
What you think will happen Erik?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I find it difficult to believe a complete replacement of existing supported XTS and XTL radios would make sense, infrastructure upgrades not so hard to believe.

Motorola has been accelerating life cycles on Astro 25 systems to that of the Microsoft life cycle, I know of other DTRS's of similar vintage being given the same treatment, the Colorado DTRS comes to mind.

ASTRO® 25 Lifecycle Management: Keep Your System Up-to-date - YouTube

Many municipalities joined in 2007-2009 (with FD/EMS) being that last in, so it seems wasteful to have to replace all those recently purchased subscriber radios again in 5 years. 5 years for $2000-2500 a piece radios is absurd.

But I will wait and see what the official word is on what exactly we just spent another few million bucks on.

K4SVT

Banned
Your right..again...hats off to you sir..

K4SVT

Banned
Then they think we can't talk to other counties...is that what VHF and the ACU1000 in 900 and med ops?

K4SVT

Banned
Here is your reply erik...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387121292024.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387121292024.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 239

rapidcharger

"Roberts, Tracy" ???

"RobertsRadio" ???

Is it the same person?
scratchhead.gif

K4SVT

Banned
No...

jcanupp

Premium Subscriber
Leaving the politics aside...I'm not up to speed on all of the technical aspects of this. Will a Uniden 396T pick it up?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Leaving the politics aside...I'm not up to speed on all of the technical aspects of this. Will a Uniden 396T pick it up?

The 396T only supports P25 phase 1.
Once the system core is upgraded, and all subscriber units are replaced with phase 2 radios, then talkgroups that transmit in phase 2 will not be heard on your 396T.

You will have to upgrade to one of the (soon to be released) BCD-436 or BCD-536 Uniden scanners which support P25 phase 2, or if you can find one, a GRE PSR-800.

Note: the new North Fulton Unified Radio System (URS) that Sandy Springs, Johns Creek, Alpharetta, Roswell and possibly other CHATCOMM agencies like Dunwoody will be moving to this system, which will be a full P25 phase 2 as well.

However, most public safety talkgroups will use encryption from what I have heard.

The new Fulton county DTRS (not to be confused with the URS) is also a P25 phase 2, though for the first couple of years, most talkgroups will be phase 1 as they are not replacing all their subscriber radios when the new system is brought online.

jcanupp

Premium Subscriber
Bummer. It is becoming ever more difficult and expensive to listen to services that WE the tax payers fund. I'm just not sure I can justify another 400 dollar radio. I listen to my radio at work usually...and during rush hour. I'll look at the price tag when they come out.

K4SVT

Banned
BCD436HP $499
BCD536HP $599

rapidcharger

Bummer. It is becoming ever more difficult and expensive to listen to services that WE the tax payers fund. I'm just not sure I can justify another 400 dollar radio. I listen to my radio at work usually...and during rush hour. I'll look at the price tag when they come out.

Just don't wait too long because if you wait too long to buy a new scanner by that time they'll be switching over to phase iii.

And that is precisely the reason I gave up trying to monitor public safety.

K4SVT

Banned
What you think of this whole thing Mr. Rapidcharger?

Status
Not open for further replies.