Marine radio forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusg

firefgtr said:
how about adding a marine band forum??
I don't see why anything on marine band would be a local area. What happens in eastern Ontario and what happens in Detroit MI. will not be the same.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Agreed! A request for a Marine forum has come up in the past at least 2 or 3 times.

There's more than enough opportunity for discussion from scannists both north and south of the Great Lakes, not to mention both coasts. I personally have been listening to USCG District 9 and wouldn't mind having some focused discussion on this and other topics.

Lindsay, how about it?

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Agreed, it would be nice to get a difinitive thumbs-up or down.
Before it just bounced around; Lou opined too but, never a difinitive end.

Chris0381

I love taking my scanner out on the sound or ocean in RI or while diving on the coast. I would love to talk with others regarding marine scanning it was quite interesting as once we got info of a barge going down and the coordinates as it turnes out is is an awsome wreck to dive but too bad we dove it after it was salvaged.

kb2unk

Marine Forum

I too agree with everyone so far and I too would like to see an new "Marine Forum", especially for Atlantic, Cape May, Monmouth and Ocean Counties in New Jersey!

I've got no problem whatsoever with a Marine forum being added and any other forums involving comms that can be intercepted by a scanner and/or shortwave receiver. For those that don't want it, then scroll right on past it.

Aircraft comms and railroad comms make up 95% of my radio hobby and I'm grateful for both of those forums. I also spend a lot of my free time watching river barges and I enjoy the comms that go along with it. So, a Marine forum would be appreciated.

RR.com is a group for radio hobbiests, but there's one forum on here that pertains to discussing politics, current events and any other non-radio related subject imaginable. A Marine forum is far more deserving than that one.

Mark Holmes
Marion, IL
markinillinois@webtv.net

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
..and I just posted in a thread that there didn't seem to be much demand for a Marine forum ;-) Go figure.

Folks, I don't let things "slide by" - I in fact am aware of what is going on. When a "signal rises above the noise" is when I act.

I'm almost there on the Marine forum... but not quite. Please convince me further.

On the topic of the Tavern... it is well deserving here... every busy forums should have an off topic place to discuss things, otherwise anarchy would reign in the "normal" forums.

D

DaveNF2G

I don't know how convincing this will be, but I support the creation of a Marine forum. It seems to fit well with Aircraft, Railroad, Military, etc.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Lindsay, you do know your forum eligibility requirements are a complete enigma!

Further convincing:
  • We have forums that cover air, land, and now space communications. Why not sea?
  • There are many topics for discussion - USCG, ice breakers, dredgers, commercial barges (Oglebay Norton in Cleveland, for one), Canadian/U.S. operations, commercial fisherman, pirates who hijack marine freqs, pleasure craft, and so on. You will see there are many facets to Marine monitoring.
  • We already have the beginnings of a worthwhile Marine Wiki. Many Wiki topics have companion forums - except Marine. Wikis and companion forums bolster each other.
  • The emerging interest is evident.
  • Just like the Military monitoring forum has encouraged some airmen to post, I hope we'll get some similar involvement from those "in the know" from the Marine side.
  • Someone just recently said "Build it and they will come!"

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Lindsay,
The amount of push/pull needed to get a forum seems very inconsistent.
Marine has been requested and discussed numerous times in numerous threads over many months. Space and Satellite was brought up once that I saw and Bam, done.
It's your site though, I respect your right to do as you please.

Eorange,
You and others have more than made the case.

Last edited:

CapnJon

Yes, I second the Marine forum...

I don't know about going to break it all up in geographical area's but a marine section would be nice. The posts would be geographical so the Admin time making the forum wouldn't take much...Marine HF is great...

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
I'm probably going to start a bash against me, but I'll post my thoughts anyway. I do not believe we need any more sections added to these forums. If you will take a minute and look around the forums at http://www.firehouse.com, you will notice there are way too many sections there to look at. There are sections within sections within sections. It has gotten so bad over there, I hardly ever look at it anymore. I would hope the Radio Reference forums do not turn into something as messy as the Firehouse forums. Just my two cents.

mciupa

ARRRRR !

No Marine Radio Forum ???

Yar ,that blows !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.