Martin Drake Power Plant in Colorado Springs has 'heavy fire' burning in building

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw2872

Martin Drake Power Plant in Colorado Springs has 'heavy fire' burning in buil...

Funny story about that. I called 911 about the time the fire first started and it rang for over a minute. But I was calling to report the location of a suspicious man who ran from police at my daughters school. Of course the dispatcher told me about the fire and all the calls coming in and that they were on priority 1 only dispatch. Then I heard the fire dispatched as 2 unmarked and 3 other PD units pulled up on him and the Sgt pulled up on me.

The mayor has been wanting to get rid of that plant and it has been a big political controversy here. There will be some questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

radio

Premium Subscriber
Drake fire

Just went to 4th alarm. Air Force Academy, Cimmaron Hills, Ft Carson, Fountain, Security and Westcott have transferred engines and aerials into several city stations

dw2872

22,000 businesses and homes were without power after the initial explosion but most are now restored.

Ha! Where was Mayor Bach this morning anyway? I believe there was a vote on the future of that plant today. I think we all know with a roof and walls collapsing after an explosion there will be no need for a vote.

dw2872

Today is a great day to hear FD units from agencies outside CSFD on the CSFD dispatch channel. I've been logging on my Pro96Com and just switched my audio/radio ID recorder over to CSFD-1 dispatch, since the Drake fire has pretty much died down.

dw2872

Martin Drake Power Plant in Colorado Springs has 'heavy fire' burning in buil...

The 50's callsigns are the outside agency FFs now on CSFD dispatch.

Truck-51 is Cimmaron Hills Ladder 1331
Engine-52 is Fort Carson (and Truck-52)
Engine-53 is Wescott 511's radio
Engine-54 is Security 114/115's radio

Engine-58 is a reserve engine #433 at Station 10.
Engine-59 is Tri-Lakes 2213's radio

We'll have to see, during the next big fire if the numbers stay the same.

Dispatchers are calling this by the name "modified dispatch".

Last edited:

dw2872

Even the dispatchers are getting confused, even with their own call signs.

CSFD Engine-9 just said they are now staffed with Engine-4 personnel and radios and will now be called Engine-4.

dw2872

Per the news conference, Drake is not generating ANY power right now and won't be for a while. I heard that boiler #5 is the area that exploded but that was in the initial response.

They brought extra generators online at Ray Nixon (south of Fountain) to cover the 22,000 customers that lost power.

Next news conference will be 9 am tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dw2872

Fort Carson FFs (Engine-52) just now finally got released back to the Army post.

Same for 53 (Wescott) and 59 (Tri-Lakes).

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

Interesting. We cruised by the plant around 12:30 pm, heading south on I25, and saw nothing. No smoke, no equipment, just a sign saying the exit was closed. KOA was headlining the story every 30 minutes. Fire must have knocked down pretty quickly.

radio

Premium Subscriber
E54 45 mins ago was running out of CSFD 14. 52 Ft Carson ran out of CSFD 8. Just cleared CSFD 14 to return back to Security.

Last edited:

radio

Premium Subscriber
Fountain Ladder 2 cleared the scene at Drake Plant about 90 mins ago as Fountain Ladder 2.. Not sure which alarm they went nor what their CSFD transfer number was

dw2872

Interesting. We cruised by the plant around 12:30 pm, heading south on I25, and saw nothing. No smoke, no equipment, just a sign saying the exit was closed. KOA was headlining the story every 30 minutes. Fire must have knocked down pretty quickly.

Fire on first level was knocked by 10:10 am and knocked on the second level by 10:15 am. They made pretty quick work of the main body of fire. The roof, walls, the main control deck, and a turbine sustained most of the damage in the initial fire though.

dw2872

Today's news conference just wrapped up with really no new info.

Here is a link to my CSFD-4 archives (the main Drake incident channel for CSFD from the start). This is not the Broadcastify archives but my scanner recording of only CSFD-4. Some pretty interesting exchanges in there, emergency firefighter radio traffic, and difficulty communicating inside the plant for sure.

My only regret is not getting it locked on that channel earlier. The recording begins with them accounting for all CSU employees that were in the plant at 9:56 am and ends at 12:36 pm. The recording contains no gaps so the time is not to scale (but there are some audible timestamps from the dispatcher in there). I have the individual audio transmissions in separate files (along with radio IDs) so if anyone wants specific info, just PM me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsxu1wpjgdec48e/Drake Power Plant fire on CSFD-4 (956 am - 1236 pm).wav

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.