Sentinel: Master Database Update Issue

Mojo701

I'm currently trying to update the master database and firmware for a Uniden SDS 100 and I am unable to do so. I get an error after a few seconds which says it has timed out after checking the server. The software is the Sentinel software and running Windows 11 Home 64 bit. I don't have antivirus running but anyone have ideas on how I can get this resolved or fixed?

Mojo701

Try this... And see if you can hit Unidens server... That will tell if it's your ISP...

I believe I connected to it but here is the result back:
Connected to ftp.homepatrol.com.
220 Microsoft FTP Service
200 OPTS UTF8 command successful - UTF8 encoding now ON.
User (ftp.homepatrol.com:(none)):

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
That shows you can connect to Unidens update server... You see it says "Connected to ftp.homepatrol.com"...

Mojo701

I'm curious would subscribing to a VPN resolve the issue and if so what VPN would be recommended?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I don't think thats the issue... There are people in my area that use Spectrum...
What message is it throwing at you when you try to update the Database with Sentinel...

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'm about 70 miles southwest of the OP and I use Spectrum with no problems.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Ok, don't think it's your isp. Perhaps your antivirus software, including maybe Windows Defender? But I've never had any issues with this on Win 11...

Lets see your exact message(s).

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
He says no antivirus... I dont know if Defender blocks ports or not... I dont use it, I have it disabled... I use ESET...
I had to open the ftp port up on ESET for it to work...

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I get an error after a few seconds which says it has timed out after checking the server.
-
The "timed out" error message is usually given by Sentinel when the ISP has connected to the FTP server, but the ISP has unusually high latency times when trying to transfer the FTP data from the server to Sentinel. HughesNet satellite based ISP is notorious for that issue, and lately Spectrum has surfaced as problematic for several users for various reasons.

Others have been successful using a VPN to eliminate the issue.

Mojo701

I downloaded a vpn and it now works as its supposed to. I am at a loss as to why it wont work without using it. I disabled windows defender for a short time but this seem to not affect the issue.