MCAS Cherry Point Airshow

Status
Not open for further replies.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
its time again for the airshow May 2-6
If you will check the webpage it says no scanners. and no transmitters of "any kind"

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Link for those interested:

2012 MCAS Cherry Point Air Show

Prohibited items that will not be allowed at the Air Show:
Knives: No matter the size of the knife, you will be asked to return it to your vehicle prior to being allowed entry.

Firearms: Anyone found with a firearm will be immediately apprehended and turned over to local authorities.

Walking Sticks: Only exception is handicap use.

Transmitters or walkie-talkies of any kind. For security and safety reasons you will be asked to return these items to your vehicle prior to entry.

Pets: Only guide dogs are allowed.

Other items not allowed: Scanners, Pepper spray/mace. Stun guns, scissors, box cutters, throwing stars, nun-chucks, coolers, picnic bags/baskets, duffle bags, briefcases, bicycles, skateboards, scooters, skates. You will be asked to return any of these items to your vehicle prior to entry.

Because only terrorists have scanners :roll:
Marshall KE4ZNR

SCPD

QRT
Like it's going to make a difference if it is in your car or in your hand (transmitters that is)

Gilly1980

If it's anything like the Seymour Johnson airshow you will walk through a metal detector before entering the show area and they will find it then. Leave it in the car or leave it in the amnesty box.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Yep this paranoia has limited my air show venues. It sucks going to these things and being treated like terrorists by the people in uniform that we're trying to support. Making me change my tune really quick. As for it being a military base? It's MY military base and EVERY citizen that attends these things paid for by OUR tax dollars!!! Not the gung ho's treating everyone like we're terrorists. If I wanted to bring a harmless scanner in I should be able to. Besides if their worried about people hearing their LMR garbage; why? It's probably needlessly and stupidly encrypted anyway. This being a Marine base has shocked me with this policy. As a rule the USMC/USN facilities were supposed to be a little more educated on the subject. The Air Farce were supposed to be the anal ones. Very disappointed.

mancow

Database Admin
Yay, stand on a hot piece of pavement with absolutely nothing for hours in the sun.

No thanks.

I wonder if they realize a transmitter (that someone could pass off as a scanner) would wreak just as much havoc from outside the fence as it would inside?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I attended the Shaw Air Expo yesterday in Sumter, SC. I walked right in with my PRO-106, an extra battery pack and two antennas, no issues at all. The nice folks at the metal detectors weren't the least bit interested in it. I had it out in the open listening (through earphones) and wasn't hassled. I was right next to the air boss stand.

My kids and I loved the Thunderbirds' show.

Status
Not open for further replies.