• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MCS2000 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I picked up a top display radio with the "white depot tag" from a trusted seller on one of the forums. This seller & I have had many deals in the past, & I would trust him with my life.

Gary that's great! I'm happy for you! I made out pretty good I think! All in all I paid under $100 with a charger and cable ( thought I had a cable but it's missing ) bought separately! I'm happy with that! While not new to MOTO software, I'm not familiar with this particular jedi series of radios. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. It's only analog channels anyway!

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I just want to double check with you MTS experts on here. If I have a 800 mhz. MTS2000 that I want to use for analog purposes, but the flash code reads like this:

FlashCode

000004-000000-6

H37/G50 Smartnet Operation

I can still use it for analog frequencies?

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your quick reply! I know it's analog only, I was just thinking that if it was flashed for trunking, it would only do trunking! Guess I was wrong! As I have stated before, I'm new to this line of Moto radios! I wonder if that is the reason why a lot of these radios are being sold for cheap. Maybe some buyers are thinking like I was thinking!

Manny

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Trunking features are inclusive meaning they include the features below them.

Smartzone will do Smartnet and Conventional.
Smartnet will do Conventional.
Conventional only does Concentional.

They're being sold cheap because a lot of systems are moving to digital and these radios are becoming obsolete for them.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike! Once I get my MTS2000 I'm going to try and go for the MCS2000 mobile. The portable turned out to be the most sensible to pick up since I already have most of what I need to get it up and running. The mobile will require me purchasing other items like a RIB, external speaker, program cable etc...The other issue was the room, as in I have none left in the current shack! LOL.... :D

Manny

N4KVE

Not quite. I picked up a Maxton ribless cable for my MTS2000 for $20. Works great on my MTS2000, & XTS3000. But I have yet to find a ribless cable for a MCS2000.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Not quite. I picked up a Maxton ribless cable for my MTS2000 for $20. Works great on my MTS2000, & XTS3000. But I have yet to find a ribless cable for a MCS2000.

Yes, understood now. I was under the impression that he was using an XTS5000 cable, which will not work.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber

I do not believe one exists! That's the reason I went with the portable instead of the mobile.The MTS2000 does NOT need a RIB, so I went in that direction. Here is a link to the cable seller I ALWAYS buy from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121399335604?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
For programing, I use a Panasonic Toughbook with a serial port running Windows XP pro. So I can use either serial or usb cables.

Manny

Last edited:

N4KVE

Yeah, every 6 months I ask him if he has a ribless cable for an Astro Saber, & he says no, but they do exist. I refuse to order anything from China, but wouldn't mind ordering a Chinese product from an American seller.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
The MTS2000 does NOT need a RIB, so I went in that direction.
The RIB circuitry is actually built into the connector on those cables but it is certainly simpler! You will be pleased with your MTS, I'm sure.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
The RIB circuitry is actually built into the connector on those cables but it is certainly simpler! You will be pleased with your MTS, I'm sure.

Yeah I'm sure it will serve me well,Tonight, one of the local fire depts. on 800 mhz. that I plan to monitor with the MTS, has a 3 alarm fire going good! Go figure! My luck! I'll probably get it and there won't be any activity for months!....Hmmm..

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Guys!

I just want to take this moment to thank all of you on this forum for your advise and comments. The radio is programmed, working fine and is up and running! Thank you all!

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.