• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD785/782 users- Backlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazey77

I have a new MD785i, it seems impossible to fully turn off the LCD backlight. Is this typical? On all portable models, the backlight can be completly turned off.
If I set backlight to off or timed, it turns off the backlight underneath the keys but not the display. The brightness adjustment does nothing when the backlight is off.

Not sure if its an odity with my radio or they all do that? Kinda annoying to me. Same turning options on and off via CPS or front panel.

Can't get it to turn off on my MD782i, never paid attention before. I guess the reasoning is there is no way to tell what channel you are on unlike a portable.

dazey77

Thanks for coming back to me! Without being able to turn off the backlight, I have no idea if the screen is visible or not with no backlight! I am using it with a sm27w1 and the unit is hidden, so its a pain having the backlight on. Already pulled it apart and stuck a load of ND filters between the display and the LCD so its at least not uber bright now but it pulls 5w in standby so would idealy like to trim that. I had a PD985 before and that was pulling 1w standby.

I even tried disconnecting the LCD but it won't boot without it (or at least it won't boot and display LCD content on the Sm27w1). Keeping an eye out for a broken MD785 or a LCD module so I can try hacking the LCD to disable the backlight. . .

Too bad the remote mount kits are so expensive, would be easier to wrap the head only in a rag and bury it somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.