• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MDC1200 EOT burst muting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul977

Well I'm sure this isn't a new thing but hopefully there is something to do about it now or soon...Our county swears by EOT MDC Id's and I'm one of the few that has BOT. I've figured out how to mute out the data burst from the few people with the BOT ID but is there any way yet to quiet the annoying end of transmission blast? I have a TK2180 and 3180 and let me tell you, they are the best radios in basically every way compared to the -others- out there, but the lack of DOS or a muting feature is the only thing that I do not like about them and I'm sure someone else here agrees.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Love those radio too, but I have yet to see a manufacturer make the "perfect" radio. What you are experiencing is where Kenwood falls short a little.

Where as Motorola has a true DOS that will mute anytime it decodes the MDC be it beginning or end or whenever, Kenwood only has a timed mute between receiving a signal and unmuting the speaker. Obviously this will only work on BOT signalling and if a radio does not send MDC it might cut off a syllable or two. The up side is it works on all signalling MDC, Fleetsync, and DTMF. Just the way it is.

SCPD

QRT
I assume your referring to the nasty bad sounding squelch burst prior to the pl or squelch tail. After the mdc data then the loud burst of squelch then the pl drop or csq. Unfortunately this is a common sound new motorola equipment produce in analog using the aes des multi boards now and going through a cheap end repeater. In motorolas there is a setting I forget the name off head but it usually doesn't help in the transmit tab of cps. Basically all I can suggest is getting a radio that mutes mdc (chirps it) over the long dragged tone. It helps and makes the burst of squelch a quick one or mutes it most of time. I have a little article I wrote on p25 about how to mute the nasty squelch burst from a ht1000 after the mdc tone. If your radio doesn't do mdc muting then your out of luck unless yoou get radios capable of mdc muting or the dept upgrades to a higher end repeater or disables or removes the algo board which wont happen. I know it has to do with the audio loop when a multi ago board is installed and used on a cheaper repeater or a non motorola repeater, simplex typically has no problem and some raDios dont have the issue at all. Not sure of the full tech specs on it. I never really noticed it until I used a old ht1000 on ours and it led me to tweak some mdc settings and found a way. I recall the AN versions only muted mdc but allowed still a quick burst of squelch then your pl reverse. BN and on seemed to mute the mdc plus the nasty loud squelch burst. If I find my article I'll post the link to you here. Maybe by lookong at these settings you can figure something out. But your radio must do mdc muting in order to knock the nasty tail off prior to the pl. Above what Rama said is correct but I think your referring to the for example, (unit talking>mdc long tone/short muting tone>nasty dragged out squelch>pl reverse or squelch tail. Correct? Or you just referring to the squelch tail always coming through. If so Rama is the correct one on the pl reverse.

SCPD

QRT
Here is the link to my mdc muting on the ht1000s, with a audio sample. Maybe by reading this if it's the burst your speaking of changing the settings if your radio does mdc muting maybe this will help. If your radio just decodes mdc and doesn't allow the muting (chirp basically) your out of luck. The audio sample is the outcome example on a AN model. A BN and on in the ht1000 obviously is fully muted and the burst gone 95 percent of time. If you desire a actual long mdc tone without muting sample with the burst let me know I'll email you it see if it's what your referring to. Take notice in the audio file on site you can hear the reverse burst pl muting after the mdc squelch which is actually the algo board passing through the loop of tx.

I should add it is another reason I went to the higher end icoms as they mute the mdc and rid that data burst prior to pl when mdc muting is enabled. I'm not sure if any kenwoods allow mdc muting but if they do just enable mdc decode/muting or tweak your settings to similiar below.

How to rid annoying squelch burst on HT1000s

Last edited:

Paul977

I do have an Icom F1000 that I sometimes use as a fireground radio being we work on multiple channels at once sometimes. I have the MSK mute set up in it and is fine, just doesn't perform like the 2180. I guess it is something to get used to until they come up with an update maybe. But I did notice with Icom they do not mute the entire burst. Seems like Motorola does it the best, well they did come up with the signalling I guess so that makes a difference. I do programming and help at a shop a few days a week though, so I've learned a good bit about the features with the Vertex, Icom, Moto, ect. We are slowly getting into the Kenwood world. Plus I get to use different models here and there to try out. I have a NX300 right now and it's quite nice especially how deep into the options you can go such as audio equalizers and so forth. I'm no tech by any means, I quit working as an equipment operator to come to this field and still have a bit to learn and I do have a great friend/instructor that helps me through it if needed. But hey enough with the life story, I do appreciate the quick replies. I've searched before and seen that Ramal121 answered similar questions and it helped me out. Anything else that comes up I'll be sure to come here if we can't figure it out. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.