Megaloop FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ww7y

Looking for a US retailer for the Bonito Megaloop FX. The listed US dealers on the Bonito site have no stock and haven’t had for months.
Is the only ordering options Bonito direct from Germany? Anyone ordered direct from them or dealers in the UK? Shipping costs?
Any help appreciated?

Steve

MDScanFan

I have ordered from WiMo in the past without an issue. I think I used PayPal. Their website will calculate shipping for your order. I believe it was around $50 for something like the Megaloop to the US.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yowtch! Even taking into account the conversion, shipping and customs, that's quite a bunch to spend on an antenna. You haven't considered any of the other loop distributors here in the US, such as the W6LVP. MFJ and Chameleon series?

You'd almost do better by building a loop amp (there are some kits at the bottom of this article) or using an experimenter's kit (like the one below) and feeding a wire loop type configuration with it....

Mike

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Looking for a US retailer for the Bonito Megaloop FX. The listed US dealers on the Bonito site have no stock and haven’t had for months.
Is the only ordering options Bonito direct from Germany? Anyone ordered direct from them or dealers in the UK? Shipping costs?
Any help appreciated?

Steve

majoco

Stirrer
Any reviews? Is it any better than the " MLA-30+ (plus) 0.5-30MHz Ring Active Receive Antenna " that some users rave about...? Ali-Express - less than NZ$50 delivered.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Any reviews? Is it any better than the " MLA-30+ (plus) 0.5-30MHz Ring Active Receive Antenna " that some users rave about...? Ali-Express - less than NZ$50 delivered.
They say it has a huge freq range, but not sure if it is better.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Agreed, and I'm not entirely sure that a comparison is even valid. As I understand it, the MLA30 series uses a wideband video amp; I doubt the Bonito would use such a shortcut. The Megaloop, if memory serves me, comes with about 40 foot of wire that you can configure in various ways along with a steel wire loop; the MLA30 only has the wire loop. Comparisons between the two might be more akin to 2 different kinds of apples than anything else.

Yes there are one or two MegaLoop reviews out there (from Google)....

I still think you can do better with one of the loop amp kits in our Loops wiki and making your own loop - even a wire loop like the Bonito unit supplies. It's a little bit of a stretch to think that an amp would be effective up to and including the FM broadcast band and beyond without the possibility of overloading in high signal areas (hence the FM bandstop filter that's built into it)

If you're looking for LF / MW and HF coverage, using one of the loops in our wiki, or an amp with your own loop would be the way I would go. It's awfully pricey at nearly USD500.....Mike

majoco

Stirrer
Then there's the...

Not for the faint hearted as it involves soldering SMD's. There's all the information on the web pages on how to construct the loop and a long text from the guy who designed the amplifier. Only Au$50 or so.

ww7y

Thanks for the replies. I am currently using a DXengineering (Pixel) RF- Pro 1b loop at my home QTH. I also have a MLA-30, which doesn’t hold a candle to the Pixel, except for a couple of small freq ranges, but for $50 it works OK. The Pro 1b is great, I just need a more portable option while traveling.
I haven’t tried the W6LVP loop but the experimenters kit looks promising. The Megaloop is pricey but not more so than the Wellbrooks and the Pro-1b and has great reviews. Guess Germany or the UK are the only purchase options.
Steve

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And another, but more likely to be similar to the MLA30 plus...

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.