Metrolinx GO Transit Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

highstupid

Banned
According to TAFL, there are now a lot more Metrolinx radio sites then previously discovered and in the database.
Here's a map of all the sites.

de5576be0111ef3c9e23d596285a8ac7.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

slicerwizard

According to TAFL, there are now a lot more Metrolinx radio sites then previously discovered and in the database.
Gah.

I was going to say that you need to learn how to read the licenses, but you're not even doing that. You're just punching "MetroLinx" into a third party website and looking at the pretty map.

You can click on those red pushpins and get a bit of information, like for example three of the pins in the middle of the map are for 200 Steeprock Drive (one of MetroLinx's bus garages) and all listed antenna heights are a whopping 15 meters (49 feet for the old timers) or less. Does that sound like a system repeater site? Is there some reason why this bus garage and its licensed base radios and microwave links should be in the RR database or downloadable to scanners? It's not like the "200 Steeprock" site is an actual site nor are the frequencies listed for it unique - you wouldn't be monitoring traffic from that "site", even if you tried.

highstupid

Banned
I made a spread sheet of the sites and frequencies, as well as mapped them out. If and when the new sites are implemented, there will be 3 groups of simulcast sites. sites sharing the same colour share the same frequencies.

Zip file is Google Earth KML

Attachments

• GoTransit 2016.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 39
  • GoTransit sites.jpg
    GoTransit sites.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Metrolinx doesn't have that many sites. They license garages, stations, etc...

The list on RR is correct, and manually (personally) verified.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Recently enough. Just a few things from the file you uploaded.

Brantford is an empty field.
Kitchener is the (being built) station.
Cambridge is the known Kitchener site.
Aberfoyle is a maintenance facility.
Hamilton is a maintenance facility.
Stoney Creek is a storage yard.

There's many other examples similar to above.

If Metrolinx infact had sites at every one of these locations, they'd have coverage better than any Public Safety system out there.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
That didn't seem to be in your list.

Although admittedly, I haven't been to that site in a very long time.

Point being, you absolutely cannot go by TAFL for any degree of accuracy.

highstupid

Banned
I wasn't expecting the database to change. Just to let people know to look out for changes so they can submit information to the database.

I'll be taking a look at a few "sites" in the next few days to check the validity of that information for those sites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I'd bring along a copy of DSD+ or Unitrunker. Would be useful to check out neighbour lists. I can't hear Kitchener from where I am, but Niagara, West and East haven't changed their neighbour lists in quite awhile. Unsure about Peterborough/Uxbridge either.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Barrie isn't on the air yet. Haven't seen any sign of activity at the site at all.

AOD999

I personally went with my TRX1 with a pretty decent antenna and found on the train lakeshore east i was having trouble getting reception past whitby untill oshawa. As for the bus ride up to peterborough, as soon as we hit clarington, dead quiet until peterborough city limit.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Keeping in mind of course you were using a scanner.

A commercial radio with a proper external gain antenna is going to pick things up near-perfectly in cases where a scanner won't hear a peep.

slicerwizard

Kitcheners current site is at 3?? Margaret St in Kitchener. I've seen the GTR8000s in person
And the train station licenses are 3 km away. Why would anyone think that there was a trunk repeater site at the station? Or a new system zone there? Or new frequencies on the air? Or anything other than some base radios? Same goes for the vast majority of those dots on the map.

highstupid

Banned
And the train station licenses are 3 km away. Why would anyone think that there was a trunk repeater site at the station? Or a new system zone there? Or new frequencies on the air? Or anything other than some base radios? Same goes for the vast majority of those dots on the map.

Because base stations don't TX on the lower side of the frequency pair, sites do. On the licences it says UHF Expansion. So why wouldn't there be more sites.

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
I personally went with my TRX1 with a pretty decent antenna and found on the train lakeshore east i was having trouble getting reception past whitby untill oshawa. As for the bus ride up to peterborough, as soon as we hit clarington, dead quiet until peterborough city limit.

The Peterborough tower usually only carries the East bus talkgroup, sometimes North. Every once in a while, a DRT talkgroup will pop up.

Except during rush hour, it is pretty quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.