• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mic recommendation, Uniden 980SB

bailagent67

Premium Subscriber
I need to replace my mic. Any good recommendations for a replacement? First hand knowledge preferred, not just brand referral.

I heard some replacements will cause static or crappy reception.

Bearcat 980SB

slowmover

The stock mic isn’t “bad”, it’s pretty good. One can modify it a bit if desired (videos). All the favorited dynamic mics work fine depending on your voice. Meaning, some will sound better than others.

Astatic 636L & Turner RoadKing RK56 are the standard-bearers. I prefer the former, slightly.

Power Mics are a common suggestion with the Unidens. Problem with those is need to replace battery every so often, and that build quality has declined over the decades.

As to build quality I like the DRIVER EXTREME DX-656 to make it my first place choice. (Can probably say the same about the STRYKER SR65).

IMG_3109.jpeg

The “digital” radios — as you have — are more difficult to make a broad recommendation with dynamic microphones as above. Noise-cancelling.

I have (literally) a bag full of different mics — almost two dozen — to find a starting point.

The rest of, “how you sound”, is with a second radio. “Talkback” intercepts the signal before the transmitter section. Not realistic. (Use a headset on second radio with no coax connected).

Now, if I were to leave aside questions (headaches) about QC, etc, focusing solely on audio I’d rate things this way:

Astatic d104m6b as #1.

Astatic 636L

As reliability in mobile is my priority, the earlier examples above rate higher in my estimation.

The A636L is low-price, great audio, and suitable QC such that I’d always be pleased to have one. Great on an older design radio, and just fine with latest Uniden. (I have 880, 885, 890).

IMG_4755.jpeg

There are other microphones of good repute past what I’ve mentioned above.

These recommendations are in regards to AM. Use of SSB may change your perception.

Last edited:

slowmover

Mics fare badly if dropped or banged against something.

Wilson or GearKeeper retracting cord hanger. Magnetic Mic (see thread).

This is more important than a new mic. Precedes it.

Wear on the cord is a second problem. An Astatic weakness, in particular.

Solve damage-control first: No stress on cord ends, and no way for mic to hit ground or swing into hard surfaces.

Last edited: