Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank3si

By the way, Flightradar has them (both tankers) listed as going to Dover with an arrival time of 3 and a half hours from now if you want to try to get pictures perhaps. Too bad it’ll be pretty dark by then in all likelihood…

Oh yeh, I'm getting ready to head down. I'm aiming to arrive a little after 5, with their arrival scheduled now for 5:25. Plus 5 minutes after that an Atlas Air 747 is scheduled to land - bonus! Of course, the parking lot at the Air Mobility Command Museum will not be accessible, but I should be able to get some good stuff from the side of Route 9 at the ends of the runways. I'm just hoping it will be the usual south-to-north - I've been watching DOV off and on all day to see if anything else is coming in or heading out but it's been very slow, with none of the usual C-17/C-5 traffic.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Oh yeh, I'm getting ready to head down. I'm aiming to arrive a little after 5, with their arrival scheduled now for 5:25. Plus 5 minutes after that an Atlas Air 747 is scheduled to land - bonus! Of course, the parking lot at the Air Mobility Command Museum will not be accessible, but I should be able to get some good stuff from the side of Route 9 at the ends of the runways. I'm just hoping it will be the usual south-to-north - I've been watching DOV off and on all day to see if anything else is coming in or heading out but it's been very slow, with none of the usual C-17/C-5 traffic.

I programmed the ICOM R8600 with all the known air air and air refueling frequencies for RAF (just in case they do not use the one from previous times). Will see if anything pops up

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber
Canadian PM says they haven’t found the one in the Yukon yet. NYTimes:

Military and police search crews are sweeping a 140 mile swath of sparsely populated land between the towns of Dawson City and Mayo. Mr. Trudeau said those authorities were leading the search but trappers and local outfitters may also be given instructions to assist in the coming days.”

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
17:19 ASCOT 9531 on 132.425 Dover Approach with flight of 4 - switched to 125.900 (the Typhoons)
17:21 ASCOT 9301 on 132.425 Dover Approach

Two of the Typhoons landing at Dover AFB from 25 miles away (first two pictures with red circles. The next picture I captured C130 CASTL33 (91-1233 ADFE64) and the RAF tanker A332 ASCOT 9301 (ZZ330 Hex 43C6F3). C130 was headed to Wilmington.
Winds here averaging about 15 mph with gusts to 33 - so a bit tough to focus
1676328177066.png1676328240185.png1676328323993.png

Last edited:

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Canadian PM says they haven’t found the one in the Yukon yet. NYTimes:

Military and police search crews are sweeping a 140 mile swath of sparsely populated land between the towns of Dawson City and Mayo. Mr. Trudeau said those authorities were leading the search but trappers and local outfitters may also be given instructions to assist in the coming days.”
Good luck trying to find a (possibly 8' diameter deflated weather balloon) thing..... If a pilot and small plane were to go down in that area without radio aids, and just using a fire to signal for help, it would take an enormous effort to locate.

Maybe they have some video from the aircraft that shot it, following the debris down.

Thanks
Joel

Mark

Premium Subscriber
1820 ASCOT-9536 with Dover apch 132.425 lining up for runway 32 at Dover holding at FL 3k.
1826 ASCOT-9120 Heavy with Dover appch 132.425 looking for vectors to runway 32.
1828 ASCOT-9536 switches to tower 126.350
Usually around now there is BASH window in effect for local birds etc. Guess they got a waiver.
(1 OCTOBER THRU 31 MARCH. BASH PHASE II PEAK BIRD HOURS/WINDOW IS 60 MINUTES BEFORE TO 60 MINUTES AFTER SUNRISE/SUNSET)

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Could be on AMC air air or 349.4 or 319.4. Since they usually do not travel in groups - probably not much air air
and dont forget SATCOM
Rgr that in the past they called 319.400 "Button-10 common" and used that.
Unlike Charleston AFB Dover planes rarely do much group flying so A/A is rare but sometimes hear relays/AA on CP 349.400

frank3si

Just home from Dover. I saw the four Typhoons followed by the Atlas Air 747 and then the Voyager KC, all in beautiful "golden hour" light. And saw CASTL33 C-130 heading back to New Castle as well. I'll post a couple more images tomorrow, but for now here's a group portrait of the Typhoons arriving. In this shot they have arrived from the east on my right, and the lead aircraft is banking hard left to head south. Then they all banked again back around to head north for final approach. They were very close - in fact this photo is the only one where I could get all four in the same frame. Got some very nice portraits of the fighters as well as the big planes - the light was wonderful!

02132023 Typhoon Group.jpg

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Just home from Dover. I saw the four Typhoons followed by the Atlas Air 747 and then the Voyager KC, all in beautiful "golden hour" light. And saw CASTL33 C-130 heading back to New Castle as well. I'll post a couple more images tomorrow, but for now here's a group portrait of the Typhoons arriving. In this shot they have arrived from the east on my right, and the lead aircraft is banking hard left to head south. Then they all banked again back around to head north for final approach. They were very close - in fact this photo is the only one where I could get all four in the same frame. Got some very nice portraits of the fighters as well as the big planes - the light was wonderful!

View attachment 136350
Beautiful.

Thanks
Joel

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber

View attachment 136350
Fantastic photo - great lighting too

mdmonitor

Rgr that in the past they called 319.400 "Button-10 common" and used that.
Unlike Charleston AFB Dover planes rarely do much group flying so A/A is rare but sometimes hear relays/AA on CP 349.400
Every now & then there'll be a couple of training flts operating in the DOV at the same time. Just figured they would be talking to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.