Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Kansas City A-10 into Martin State tracked direct from KSZL Whiteman AFB 442FW #79-0122
Not sure if a single or more.'
ASY-687 C-17 dropping into Lossiemouth Scotland from Dover.

Week or so ago we saw all those C-130's off to the Rock in Arkansas for mass jump.
Go-Pro vid of one of the jumpers.. Odd round/square pillow chutes they use these days.Landed on his feet then back?

Last edited:

freqhopping

I saw a DC F-16 11 flight of two, maybe WILD11, heading out to Evers I think this morning. Passed over me at the Quantico rifle ranges. Kind of broken by the time I got my scanner going and only having a duckie antenna. Last heard on TRACON 323.025.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I saw a DC F-16 11 flight of two, maybe WILD11, heading out to Evers I think this morning. Passed over me at the Quantico rifle ranges. Kind of broken by the time I got my scanner going and only having a duckie antenna. Last heard on TRACON 323.025.
Years ago several times I took Auto Train to Florida and that CSX track runs right thru Quantico training area.
Looking out window to the right headed South I lost count of how many gun ranges are there.
Seem like they go on for miles... Then up ahead on your left the Quantico Marine Corp Airbase down on the river..
Looks kind of small but cool looking from up on the hill. How they squeeze a C-17 in there I don't know :)

Last edited:

xtremey

Kansas City A-10 into Martin State tracked direct from KSZL Whiteman AFB 442FW #79-0122
Not sure if a single or more.'
ASY-687 C-17 dropping into Lossiemouth Scotland from Dover.

Week or so ago we saw all those C-130's off to the Rock in Arkansas for mass jump.
Go-Pro vid of one of the jumpers.. Odd round/square pillow chutes they use these days.Landed on his feet then back?
Responding to A-10: Likely another deployment? Heard that jet had a drop tank on it which means they plan to go far. Unless they used that just to go to MTN?

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Responding to A-10: Likely another deployment? Heard that jet had a drop tank on it which means they plan to go far. Unless they used that just to go to MTN?
Yeah that is good long haul for an A-10C and prob why they had ER fuel tank..
Long article about A-10,F-35A flyoff that USAF did not want to do anyway released with redactions..
Funny instead of regular F-35 pilots they chose ex A-10 pilots in F-35's... USAF already made up their minds.
Years back we used to get A-10's here occasionally using SANDY-1 callsign. I always wondered what that meant. It is CSAR callsign.

A-10 Vs F-35 Close Air Support Flyoff Report Finally Emerges

Last edited:

Waltz41

Yeah that is good long haul for an A-10C and prob why they had ER fuel tank..
Long article about A-10,F-35A flyoff that USAF did not want to do anyway released with redactions..
Funny instead of regular F-35 pilots they chose ex A-10 pilots in F-35's... USAF already made up their minds.
Years back we used to get A-10's using SANDY callsign. always wondered what that meant. It is CSAR callsign.
A-10 Vs F-35 Close Air Support Flyoff Report Finally Emerges
The PA ANG 103rd FS A-10 guys at Willow Grove would sometimes use SANDY, maybe that's who you were thinking of. And yeah, it's for CSAR missions that dates back to the Vietnam war, where the A-1's would use that callsign.

The 104th at Martin State right now is not scheduled to lose their A-10s yet. The first to go are the 190th in Idaho and the 23rd FW at Moody as far as I have read. With that, I have heard they are getting some other units A-10s that are 'newer' to replace some older ones they have. One of the old PA jets just showed up down there this summer. It could be some deployment movement, or just some shifting around of Hogs.

If anyone has eyes down there, be nice to know if it was a single or a flight.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
The PA ANG 103rd FS A-10 guys at Willow Grove would sometimes use SANDY, maybe that's who you were thinking of. And yeah, it's for CSAR missions that dates back to the Vietnam war, where the A-1's would use that callsign.

The 104th at Martin State right now is not scheduled to lose their A-10s yet. The first to go are the 190th in Idaho and the 23rd FW at Moody as far as I have read. With that, I have heard they are getting some other units A-10s that are 'newer' to replace some older ones they have. One of the old PA jets just showed up down there this summer. It could be some deployment movement, or just some shifting around of Hogs.

If anyone has eyes down there, be nice to know if it was a single or a flight.
Indiana ANG just lost all of their A-10's and got their first two F-16's this past week...
They had lots of older ones that I think went straight to the Boneyard.. Either way they are all done by 2030.
I miss the famous UGLY's callsign down here from back in the WG days :)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
AF1 flying back to ADW showing on ADSBx with callsign UNKN, SAM46 flying ahead of them just showing Reg #

Capture.PNG

Earlier in Minnesota, Pool’s Osprey touched back down at the airport a few minutes after takeoff after around four loud ‘pops’ were heard and some smoke was seen and smelt in the cabin. Pool then changed Ospreys and continued their journey without incident.

From the WH:

Due to an electrical issue on one of the helicopters, some preventative alarms were triggered, including an automatic fire suppressant which made the audible noise, and the described smell. Out of an abundance of caution the passengers switched to a new aircraft on standby, but there was no safety issue on the flying aircraft.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
VP heads back to the United States tomorrow...

At 5:10 pm GMT, the Vice President will travel from Furzton Lake Landing Zone en route to London Stansted Airport.
At 5:35 pm GMT, the Vice President will arrive at London Stansted Airport.
At 6:10 pm GMT, the Vice President and Second Gentleman will depart London, United Kingdom en route to Minneapolis International Airport.
At 10:05 pm CDT, the Vice President and Second Gentleman will arrive at Minneapolis International Airport for a re-fueling stop
At 11:35 pm CDT, the Vice President and Second Gentleman will depart Minneapolis International Airport en route to Los Angeles International Airport.

freqhopping

Years ago several times I took Auto Train to Florida and that CSX track runs right thru Quantico training area.
Looking out window to the right headed South I lost count of how many gun ranges are there.
Seem like they go on for miles... Then up ahead on your left the Quantico Marine Corp Airbase down on the river..
Looks kind of small but cool looking from up on the hill. How they squeeze a C-17 in there I don't know :)

There aren't any ranges anywhere near the tracks. Those are 3 miles west of I-95. There aren't any real training areas near the tracks either. That's all west of I-95.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
There aren't any ranges anywhere near the tracks. Those are 3 miles west of I-95. There aren't any real training areas near the tracks either. That's all west of I-95.
Been 20 years so maybe not but sure were there when I passed them several times on the train...
Sure looked like gun ranges to me.

Last edited:

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Indiana ANG just lost all of their A-10's and got their first two F-16's this past week...
They had lots of older ones that I think went straight to the Boneyard.. Either way they are all done by 2030.
I miss the famous UGLY's callsign down here from back in the WG days :)
Back in the 80s when Willow Grove had the A-37 Dragonflys their main a/a freqs were 46.75/46.85. At a WG 80s air show 2 pilots had their A-37 on display and I asked them who uses the callsign "Beeswax". I knew it was for the R5802 range, but I wanted to see what they would say. One pilot took his sunglasses off and asked if I was a Russian spy. I said no, but I listen to you guys on low band when you're at the range at the Gap. The pilot said the callsign is used in the area and that was all he could say. Later, my friend & I walked back up to their a/c and they weren't there. I guess they didn't want to answer any more questions.

xtremey

Does anyone know if VR042 down in southern VA has frequencies that are used when jets enter? If so, could someone send me a few? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.