MILAIR Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
But then, she's constantly telling me about things she hears on the scanner in the kitchen.
She likes listening, but doesn't like admitting it.

Rich

That sounds a lot like MY wife!!! :)

Mike

rbm

Are they MILAIR monitor's or just curious?

BMT

I'm a curious MILAIR monitor. ;)
I have been for a lot of years.

Like most hobbies, there are times that I'm 'heavy into it', and other times when I'm too busy with other things to spend a lot of time on it.

However, for lots of years, I've always had at least two or more scanners listening and logging MILAIR frequencies .

One or more of them scan everything and when I find an active frequency, I add that to a different Uniden system file which also scans and logs 24/7 and add an * to the text label for that frequency.

That way, I can listen to the most likely active frequencies and still be looking for new ones. So I don't miss much.

I do the same thing for Federal and SatCom frequencies also.

In the two screen captures below, the first is while scanning ALL MilAir frequencies. (system 64M)
You'll notice in that log file there are several hits that don't have an * in the 'Displayed Name' field.

The second is while scanning just the 'verified' frequencies. (system 65M)
You'll see a few CC Hits in that file but all of the MilAir frequencies have an * in the Display field indicating they were confirmed to be active locally. (In fact, one of the CC Hits is a MirAir frequency! 226.300 ) ;)

Rich

All MILAIR:

Local, confirmed MILAIR:

joeuser

The Wretched
I've been interested in MilAir since I got to Kansas. Being under & nearby a few ART's & actually getting comms from them really got me excited along with a fairly local bombing range. I learned about them just browsing around on the Web. Then I got further inspired from a guy on a yahoo list for SW air traffic radio (can't recall the exact name) that guy had 780's like I do & sent me a ton of stuff to get me going. Once I came here & got setup with even more resources (which I may not discuss) I've just gone ballistic. I came into about almost 3K this summer & no joke, its being blown on shack improvements... I think that's a tax write off! ;-)

This thread alone has been incredibly beneficial & its great to see vets helping out us neophytes.

BMT

Discussion was started 10-2-14 and no on has found any new freqs? ;-)

BMT

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've been getting a lot of hits on many of the frequencies provided in this thread. Thank you. However, I need to get an outside antenna, before I can do any serious searching.

I need to get stealthy with my antenna, due to HOA restrictions. I'm thinking a diamond discone, minus the top vertical element, mounted off the back roof slope, so it's barely visible from the front.

I'm finding a lot of these active(?) frequencies sound like a dead carrier, or are they possibly digital?

rbm

I'm finding a lot of these active(?) frequencies sound like a dead carrier, or are they possibly digital?

Depending on your surroundings, they could be PC generated noise or from other electronic sources like switching power supplies.

Especially on even frequencies like the common emergency frequency of 243.000 MHz, or 297.000 MHz etc.

Rich

rbm

Here's an example of some 'unexpected' RFI. ;)

I have 9 security cameras.

One of them gave me lots of RFI. Others of the very same model did not.
The noise peaked from around 120-150 Mhz and again at double that frequency.

I tracked it down to the power supply in the camera.
It and the others run POE (Power Over Ethernet) which is 48 volts.
Internally the camera steps it down to 12 volts.

In the attached SDRSharp screen capture, the bottom of the waterfall is my normal noise level.
It gets progressively worse as that camera boots up until the RFI became horrendous!

The fix was, for just that one camera, to use a separate power injector and splitter to directly supply 12 volts to the camera so that it didn't have to step it down.

By the way, the USB dongle and SDR# made it easy to track the noise source down.
The RF gain was turned way up because I used only a piece of coax with no antenna connected.

Rich

RFI from camera power supply.

kermit1

I am an AT in the Navy. I am the guy that programs the radios in the planes. That being said, some of the freqs are static, some are dynamic. Just depends. I have worked on electronic attack platforms, surveillance platforms, and others, both coasts.

Good luck with your listening. If you have any questions, ask away. I will answer what I can.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Yup - I was just letting you guys know that of all the freqs I took from the article, that is the only one I have heard a peep on out here in the desert southwest.

Mike

mancow

Database Admin
What is your antenna setup? You should hear far more than that. I live in nowhere middle of the US Kansas and mine is non stop.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Nothing special Mancow. An old Monr-51 about 10 feet off of the ground. I am just outside Davis Monthan AFB, too, and I have only heard a couple calls on 271.000. All of the other freqs from the article are dead.

Mike

number6

Thanks, Jay. I've been looking for BCDx36 resources for a while, and since it's Fleet Week here in the city that never sleeps, this could come in way handy.
--
Steve

Thank you rmb, BMT & iMONITOR - after viewing some MILAIR clips on YouTube, I want to try it. Had no idea where or how to start. Thank goodness for the UASD files. I probably would have given up, realizing some 3800+ frequencies needed programming. Had it done in minutes - SWEET!

BMT

I use a 996T and 396XT and monitor about 1800 freqs daily.
The 996T I scan ZJX and ZMA.
Pinecastle Range, spectrum holes, exercise/training, FACSJAX, AF Unknowns, Navy Air OPS,
Average about 25 hits a day.

BMT

Status
Not open for further replies.