Military Air: UK Tornados are in town again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
For those unfamiliar with the piercing nozzle, it's a hardened (tungsten or carbon or maybe both, I forget) material tapered to a point, more or less.. not razor-sharp, but sharp enough to poke through most things. The sides of the cylindrical part of it have hundreds of tiny holes drilled in them, and it's plumbed to a water supply. What you do is jam this thing in right through the side of the aircraft (or vehicle or building - I have seen it used on everything from airplanes to pre-fab mobile homes to garbage truck bodies) and then turn on the water, flooding the interior with water and/or foam. Yeah, it is fun, and the piercing nozzle was originally a hand-held device. We (my volunteer FD) have a couple of them, and they're about 3 feet long with a big blunt on the rear end for you to swing a sledgehammer at. I've personally used one on the side of a semi-trailer full of groceries that was on fire. The company that makes the Snozzle was the first one to dream up the bright idea of putting one on the end of their boom.. and it's become VERY popular. They also have a normal water/foam nozzle, lights, and some models have both conventional video and heat/infrared video as well. Calgary's does; they can look at a taxiing plane and tell you if it just landed or is about to take off, just by how much heat is in the brakes and tires. :D

Oh and btw, I know that is obviously not a B737 as I stated earlier. I wanna say Embraer E190 or a CRJ, but I'm not perfectly up on my jet aircraft.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
For those unfamiliar with the piercing nozzle, it's a hardened (tungsten or carbon or maybe both, I forget) material tapered to a point, more or less.. not razor-sharp, but sharp enough to poke through most things. The sides of the cylindrical part of it have hundreds of tiny holes drilled in them, and it's plumbed to a water supply. What you do is jam this thing in right through the side of the aircraft (or vehicle or building - I have seen it used on everything from airplanes to pre-fab mobile homes to garbage truck bodies) and then turn on the water, flooding the interior with water and/or foam. Yeah, it is fun, and the piercing nozzle was originally a hand-held device. We (my volunteer FD) have a couple of them, and they're about 3 feet long with a big blunt on the rear end for you to swing a sledgehammer at. I've personally used one on the side of a semi-trailer full of groceries that was on fire. The company that makes the Snozzle was the first one to dream up the bright idea of putting one on the end of their boom.. and it's become VERY popular. They also have a normal water/foam nozzle, lights, and some models have both conventional video and heat/infrared video as well. Calgary's does; they can look at a taxiing plane and tell you if it just landed or is about to take off, just by how much heat is in the brakes and tires. :D

Oh and btw, I know that is obviously not a B737 as I stated earlier. I wanna say Embraer E190 or a CRJ, but I'm not perfectly up on my jet aircraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.