• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Minitor VI pager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used all of Motorola's synthesized pagers, and I put the Minitor VI up against my Mintor 3-5, and in my area, the minitor VI did a way better of a job with receiving over any of the other pagers.

Attachments

• 20140511_125350.jpg
    20140511_125350.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 4,184

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Stored Voice

Hey All -- is anyone aware of how to clear / lock the stored voice messages? I cannot figure it out.

Thanks

kh11

Premium Subscriber
Hey All -- is anyone aware of how to clear / lock the stored voice messages? I cannot figure it out.

For clearing, hold both the "fast forward" and "rewind" buttons at the same time. (I would have to check the manual about locking - not something that I typically do.)

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
For clearing, hold both the "fast forward" and "rewind" buttons at the same time. (I would have to check the manual about locking - not something that I typically do.)

Thank you, so much!!

adeangelo101

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a good understanding of the on/off duty for the Minitor VI? Our department just upgraded to the VI and they've tasked me with trying a new setup on the pagers for the chiefs. Would like the pager to alert as follows:

SW-A-single company tone + Duty tone + District tone
SW-B-all three company tones + Duty tone + District tone
SW-C-all three company tones + Duty tone + District tone on vibrate
SW-D-Monitor all the above

Having SW-C vibrate isn't a deal breaker. If needed, can delete SW-C and shift everything up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

com501

You could read the help file or contact your dealer for support. That's what they are for....

kh11

Premium Subscriber
SW-A-single company tone + Duty tone + District tone
SW-B-all three company tones + Duty tone + District tone
SW-C-all three company tones + Duty tone + District tone on vibrate
SW-D-Monitor all the above

You can set up to 10 two-tone "calls" per channel, along with 5 single-tone "group calls". Each of these can have a particular audio alert sound defined.

Each switch position can be defined as selective call, monitor or scan, and alert type can be selected (alert tone, tone and vibrate, vibrate).

It's easy enough to play with this to see what the possibilities are - just download the software and take a look.

kh11

Premium Subscriber
How are these compared to the Unication G1?

Unless the G1 comes in cheaper than the Minitor, it would be a hard sell to my department. The VI works for us, and it's pretty much the standard in our county.

The new G5 is interesting because it might allow us to monitor the trunked system after we are dispatched over VHF (assuming they actually do release the Phase II firmware upgrade), but the pricing is so high even with intro deals it's just not worth proposing at this point.

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
I just ordered a VI. It arrived yesterday in the mail. I must say- I really do like it. The only thing I don't like, would be how "slim" it is, compared to the V. It, along with the II's, III's, and IV's, are the slim design and don't stand up as well. The I's and V's stood up fine. I wish the programmer was the same unit as the charger, that would be nice. I suppose then Moto wouldn't make any money. No-one would buy the programmer, nor need to.

K1TA

Minitor VI - Error Beeps

I have a Minitor VI that periodically will stop receiving and will Beep LONG-SHORT-SHORT (D in Morse code). The only way to clear it and get it to receive again is to remove the battery... then it works again.

Has anyone else had this problem ? Is there a list of Error code beeps?

Tom

cruckshank87

Minitor 6 volume knob help

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for keeping the minitor 6 volume knob at a certain level. When I’m walking around, the volume knob moves so easily that it will move back and forth just from rubbing against my shirt, so I can never keep it at the same volume that I set it to. It would be really nice if the volume knob had click settings like the other knob for the channels does, that way I could set it to a certain volume and know it will stay there. Do you have any suggestions for a retrofit to do something like this? I’m at the point now where I am considering gluing on a piece of stiff rubber or maybe affixing rubber bands or something around the knob to hold friction on it, but this would look pretty oaky and I don’t know how effective it would be. Any suggestions?

wv2vvl

My Minitor VI experience

A year ago I had ordered a refurbed V from P&W & had to wait nearly a month to receive it. As I had not located my county's Fire & EMS tones at that point, it arrived with only the frequencies for the county alert channel & for my area fireground ops channel. It took a couple of weeks of trying before I finally got an xcel spread sheet from my County communications with most of the tones listed by department. I then had to go hunting for a programming cradle & finally got one that worked on the 2nd try. Following P&W's excellent YouTube tutorial I had the unit read, programmed & written without a major problem.

The V worked well & I was impressed with its audio quality & sensitivity. I only use it to monitor the local emergency services, so my application was not mission critical. I was annoyed that the frequency limits were 151-159, so I started getting interested in trading up to the full coverage VI with voice announcements.

I bought the VI new with 2-year warranty from Action Communications in Tucson as they offered free programming & the unit was in my hands in less than a week. I also bought a new programming cradle, protective carry case & Amplifier-Charger RLN6506. My attractions to the latter were the 2,5 watt audio amp, the multi-function rear plug & the BNC external antenna connector.

Reading, programming & writing to the VI is a snap once I found the correct USB COM port. The VI had been programmed at my request as follows:

Position
A - County dispatch CSQ (announces 'County')
B- North Band CSQ (my home band) (announces 'North')
C-East Band CSQ (Announces 'East')
D-Central Band CSQ (Announces 'Central')
E-South Band CSQ (Announces 'South)
F- Null
G-Null
F- County dispatch with 10 tone pairs for local companies, fire police, fire police all call, & local EMS (announces 'County')

I am truly impressed with the superiority of the sensitivity of the VI while doing a side-by-side comparison with my V. The audio quality is also excellent. The fact that it is slightly smaller & lighter than the V are also pluses. I also like the audible battery status announcement feature.

The Amplifier-Charger also works well & the 1/4-wave antenna dramatically improves the reception range & quality but I'm somewhat disappointed with the audio quality, which seems muffled. I had it on my night stand next to a window that faces toward both the fire station & the nearest county dispatch transmitter, both about a mile away. All fine except for a spur on position D that was just a noisy carrier with no modulation. This was not heard when the pager was not in the unit. I consulted the tech at Action & reprogrammed the squelch for that channel to the tightest with no change. A week or so later I was in a room on the 5th floor of a hotel about 5 miles from home with the same setup & no spur. Same result when hooked up to a discone I had in my basement.

One of the main reasons I invested in the VI is the ability to reprogram it over the full high-band range for operation away from home. We will be going to the Delaware beaches next month & I have already createdcd the wav files I will need for monitoring the various marine calling & Coast Guard channels that we will be near, along with 162 MHz NOAA WX radio, always an important resource when you're at the beach off-season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.