MoDOT plow/salt trucks

JRsTheMAN

Back in the day, the 151.XXX frequencies were non stop chatter during snow events. But lately its crickets. I have caught some simplex truck to truck traffic on 151.130 in Southwest Missouri, but used to hear weather updates, asphault temperaturs and road conditions. Is this the same for you hobbysts? I wonder what changed in the rules of radio for them. I am in Southwest Missouri.

Last edited:

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I have mentioned the same thing to other hobbyists. Not sure what is going on. I have an idea but I'm not sure. You are correct. It's time for us to go to work.

JRsTheMAN

I have mentioned the same thing to other hobbyists. Not sure what is going on. I have an idea but I'm not sure. You are correct. It's time for us to go to work.
I have a friend that works for MoDOT down here and he said they never use the radios. Only for when the cell phone doesnt work and they need help. So strange as the district office would be the one giving weather udpates and asking for road conditions.

TooLate

Same here (US 54- I-49 area) during the recent freezing rain event this week. Did hear Springfield notify a trooper in the Cassville area that "MoDot supervisor has informed us that they will not be responding to anything today". Within an hour of that exchange, we copied a trooper notifying Spgfld that it would be a while clearing 'this scene' as there were people with shovels spreading treatment onto 'this curve' (from the salt truck that slid off into the ditch and spilled treatment). Chatter with routes covered, their condition before and after any treatment, were non-existant on the usual frequencies as in the past.

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
Is any of this help ?

Southwest (Springfield)​

Counties: Barry, Barton, Bates, Benton, Cedar, Christian, Dade, Dallas, Greene, Henry, Hickory, Jasper, Lawrence, McDonald, Newton, Polk, St. Clair, Stone, Taney, Vernon, Webster
FrequencyLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
151.130KJI570RM156.7 PLMODOT SW-ARoad Maintenance (Avilla-Jasper)FMNPublic Works
151.130KJI569RM192.8 PLMODOT SW-BRoad Maintenance (Jerico Springs-Cedar)FMNPublic Works
151.130KJI573RM127.3 PLMODOT SW-CRoad Maintenance (Ridgeley-Barry)FMNPublic Works
151.130KFN616RM179.9 PLMODOT SW-DRoad Maintenance (Urich-Henry)FMNPublic Works
151.040KJI568RM156.7 PLMODOT SW-D8ARoad Maintenance (Strafford)FMNPublic Works
151.070KFN616M123.0 PLMODOT D-8Road Maintenance - Snow Plows - Spfld area) (KJI568)FMNPublic Works
453.1625WQDM214BMMODOT SplxLocal use hiway maint etcFMNPublic Works
453.1875WQDM214BMMODOT SplxHiway MaintFMNPublic Works

JRsTheMAN

Is any of this help ?

Southwest (Springfield)​

Counties: Barry, Barton, Bates, Benton, Cedar, Christian, Dade, Dallas, Greene, Henry, Hickory, Jasper, Lawrence, McDonald, Newton, Polk, St. Clair, Stone, Taney, Vernon, Webster
FrequencyLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
151.130KJI570RM156.7 PLMODOT SW-ARoad Maintenance (Avilla-Jasper)FMNPublic Works
151.130KJI569RM192.8 PLMODOT SW-BRoad Maintenance (Jerico Springs-Cedar)FMNPublic Works
151.130KJI573RM127.3 PLMODOT SW-CRoad Maintenance (Ridgeley-Barry)FMNPublic Works
151.130KFN616RM179.9 PLMODOT SW-DRoad Maintenance (Urich-Henry)FMNPublic Works
151.040KJI568RM156.7 PLMODOT SW-D8ARoad Maintenance (Strafford)FMNPublic Works
151.070KFN616M123.0 PLMODOT D-8Road Maintenance - Snow Plows - Spfld area) (KJI568)FMNPublic Works
453.1625WQDM214BMMODOT SplxLocal use hiway maint etcFMNPublic Works
453.1875WQDM214BMMODOT SplxHiway MaintFMNPublic Works
No, because I already have that info. But thanks for posting for the curious. I do hear every once in a while a couple of trucks talk to each other on the 151.130 repeater, but nothing like it used to be.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Back in the day, the 151.XXX frequencies were non stop chatter during snow events. But lately its crickets. I have caught some simplex truck to truck traffic on 151.130 in Southwest Missouri, but used to hear weather updates, asphault temperaturs and road conditions. Is this the same for you hobbysts? I wonder what changed in the rules of radio for them. I am in Southwest Missouri.
I heard tons of chatter during the recent ice event but on the repeater outputs of 151.040 and 151.070 using a PL of 123.0 being used by the mobiles only in a truck to truck setting.
Very rarely did I hear the base radio on the air. I'm close to I-270 & I-64 as well as the MoDOT tower not far from the Gateway Guide building.
Other than that, MoDOT's radio usage has declined and I only notice the normal traffic during real snow events of accumulating snow on the pavement.
I do know their radios desense each other badly when working near one another. That's one of the main reasons they don't talk thru the repeater today and instead use truck to truck.
During decent snow events, dispatch here does still announce road conditions and wx updates as they always have. Maybe not as often though.
Possibly using some type of cell phone app today for that info?

KA0KDW

Up in Dallas and Polk county it’s still busy on the air. Bolivar district uses 151.070 only for truck to truck. And Buffalo barn uses 040 (Strafford repeater) only for truck to truck. As for giving road conditions and pavement temps most of that is supposed to be automated through cameras and sensors on the trucks.

stlouisx50

MODOT still uses them in Wright/Texas County 151.070 main and 151.040 secondary. I submitted some of the listed 400mhz freq back in the day for flagging operations. Id believe they are still used today. But only for truck to truck or hand held to handheld.
Id get out there and run your scanner in close call mode near an active construction zone for a bit and see what you get.