Monmouth County 700 system

bigray246

Im not getting any signal on the Monmouth County 700 system from Toms River. Zero signal on any control channel. I did notice the frequencies that came with my SDS200 were different from the RR listing, however still not recieving anything. I do have a discone antenna in the attic. Any ideas? I do not think Im too far away?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Tom's River is about 15 miles from the southernmost cell of Monmouth's south simulcast so yeah you may be a bit too far out. I'd still double check to make sure you have every frequency programmed in anyway, they can each serve as a control channel. You may have better luck with a Unication G4 or G5, folks that have them say they're more receptive to systems from outside their intended coverage areas
1680449306402.png

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
First make sure that you have the latest updates in your scanner so that you're working with the most current data.

Fact is that discone antennas are not that great on the upper bands like 700/800, so there's already a compromise there, added to that the antenna is in your attic instead of up in clear air, that's not helping either. You're roughly 14 miles from the nearest Monmouth subsite, so without a good directional antenna that is optimized for 700/800, you're going to have trouble receiving the system, much less decoding voice traffic with any degree of consistency.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Big Ray from Bayonne?

The question has so many variables and lack of detail.

Toms River is big and distance does matter. The southernmost Monmouth site is 12 miles from intersection of Routes 37/9. That should be workable. 10-20 miles can become marginal. This depends on many variables.

The DB is accurate, if you’re using something different, that is a problem. Simply hand edit the South Site frequencies to reflect those for Monmouth South. You must enter each freq. ans any one of those in red can be the CC.

Good Luck!

bigray246

Big Ray from Bayonne?

The question has so many variables and lack of detail.

Toms River is big and distance does matter. The southernmost Monmouth site is 12 miles from intersection of Routes 37/9. That should be workable. 10-20 miles can become marginal. This depends on many variables.

The DB is accurate, if you’re using something different, that is a problem. Simply hand edit the South Site frequencies to reflect those for Monmouth South. You must enter each freq. ans any one of those in red can be the CC.

Good Luck!
Yes from Bayonne, good thing I got out when I did Bayonne is now fully encrypted.

Last edited:

bigray246

First make sure that you have the latest updates in your scanner so that you're working with the most current data.

Fact is that discone antennas are not that great on the upper bands like 700/800, so there's already a compromise there, added to that the antenna is in your attic instead of up in clear air, that's not helping either. You're roughly 14 miles from the nearest Monmouth subsite, so without a good directional antenna that is optimized for 700/800, you're going to have trouble receiving the system, much less decoding voice traffic with any degree of consistency.
Yeah I figured that, unfortunately I live in a townhouse where everything is prohibited including antennas.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Do you have a portable/handheld scanner? Something you can take outside your townhouse to see if there is any signal out there? Maybe check that if you can, and if you detect a decent signal, you might be able to mount a 700/800 Yagi in the attic pointed north.

There is a Wilson 700-900 MHz Yagi model 301111 that is pretty popular. Not the highest quality for an outdoor install, but it would hold up fine in an attic. You can often find them for around $50. That might be your best chance at capturing Monmouth, but no guarantees of course.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Big Ray, I am sure you checked the frequencies AND the squelch setting?

Generally w TRS lower is better and above a 2 squelch can make for problems. BOLO.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I am in TR close to the intersection of Fischer and Hooper. It is extremely difficult to get the MC system in my area. My SDS100 and 200 show a signal and date sometimes with the stock antennas, but very little if any comms. If I but a an inexpensive magnet mount antenna outside on my deck, I will get better reception. I tried a window mount antenna someone recommended who had luck receiving the MC system in the area and I had no luck. I do have a pretty bif cell tower with in a block of me, so IDK if that is contributing to the issue.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
The southernmost site is in the very south corner of the County.

It could very well be that a directional pattern antenna is in use. This
would focus much of the performance forward or within the County.

Therefore less signal in the opposite direction. Possibility.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Currently hearing Monmouth P25 from Atco in Camden County but it is normal for this spot. CC 772.45625.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Premium Subscriber
Hearing Monmouth's trunked system from the parking lot of Morris County Police Academy. Granted there is some elevation here, but I'd check your settings.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Hearing Monmouth's trunked system from the parking lot of Morris County Police Academy. Granted there is some elevation here, but I'd check your settings.
North Simulcast Cell or South Cell?

RBFD415

Ray??!!

Hello!

My two cents, using a Tait TRS mobile I can reliably receive Monmouth TRS from the parking lot of the Ocean County Training Center (fire academy) in Waretown (exit 69). Understanding that having a commercial radio is a considerable step up from most commonly available equipment, I believe the Monmouth system is the exception as far as TRS go, most systems seem to have sharp drop offs. As others stated, I would double check the settings and frequencies and if possible, take the radio on a road trip north and establish for certain you have everything set correctly.

Good Luck! DH

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
Monmouth County recently updated their frequencies on their TRS. Check the frequencies and make sure your good there. Your scanner may not be updated to the newest frequencies