• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola External Speaker Differences

motormayhem

Hello,
I am looking at the following speakers for 2 applications. #1 is a desk setup for amateur radio (VHF and HF) and the other is for VHF radio during desert racing. My radio can accept a 4-8ohm speaker.

Speakers:
  • HSN 4032A, 13W non-waterproof 4ohm
  • HSN 4031B, 7.5W non-waterproof 8ohm
  • HSN 4040A, 13W waterproof 4ohm
  • HSN 4038A, 7.5W waterproof 8ohm
  • RSN 4003A, 7.5W non-waterproof 8 ohm rectangular
Questions:
  1. Any reason to use 8ohm vs 4ohm? Is it just the 7.5W has a better range in the low volume area where as the 13W/4Ohm would be louder at the low end?
  2. Does a waterproof speaker have worse audio quality compared to a non waterproof one? I'm not planning to get them wet, but one will be in a high dust environment....is the waterproofing just a coating on the speaker cone that won't help with dust or is it sealed somehow?
  3. I'm assuming the physically larger square speakers sound a little better than the smaller rectangular ones since the speaker is larger?

N4KVE

I used a motorcycle Spectra years ago. It had the waterproof speaker. Only difference I saw was the gasket between the front, & rear half’s of the speaker case was twice as thick. As for the 4, or 8 ohm speaker, either is plenty loud for me. But the 4 ohm speaker was a $75 upgrade because it was louder.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've run several of those models.

I have one mounted under the dash of a Polaris Ranger UTV connected to a Motorola VHF mobile radio. I forget which model number, but it's not the waterproof version. Running 35MPH with a full face helmet on, I can easily hear all radio traffic loud and clear. It's been covered in dust for about 10 years now and is still going strong. It's been accidentally hosed down a few times, hasn't caused any issues. Snow, rain, mud, talcum powder like sand, gravel dirt, etc. Generally ridden hard and put up wet. Lots of vibration. A decade of use without issues.

I've used them in my personal and work trucks for years, even on non-Motorola radios. Again, 65 MPH, windows down, Diesel pickup, absolutely no issues hearing radio traffic. Loud and intelligible. Roll the windows down and walk away from the truck 100 feet, still no issues hearing dispatch call me.

Overkill for base use, but will work just fine.

I'd not worry too much about which one as they are all pretty durable. Match the impedance if you can, but I've never had any issues with running 4Ω speakers on radios rated for 8Ω.

I think I have one of the waterproof versions that came out of a motorcycle installation. Can't really recall having any issues with audio quality.

The bigger square speakers are the ones I use. The smaller rectangular ones are a bit lighter duty. I've used them in mobile installs and they are sufficient unless you regularly do the 65MPH with the windows down and stereo cranked sort of thing. Good choice for base use unless your base station is in a loud factory or noisy dance club.

motormayhem

I've run several of those models.

I have one mounted under the dash of a Polaris Ranger UTV connected to a Motorola VHF mobile radio. I forget which model number, but it's not the waterproof version. Running 35MPH with a full face helmet on, I can easily hear all radio traffic loud and clear. It's been covered in dust for about 10 years now and is still going strong. It's been accidentally hosed down a few times, hasn't caused any issues. Snow, rain, mud, talcum powder like sand, gravel dirt, etc. Generally ridden hard and put up wet. Lots of vibration. A decade of use without issues.

I've used them in my personal and work trucks for years, even on non-Motorola radios. Again, 65 MPH, windows down, Diesel pickup, absolutely no issues hearing radio traffic. Loud and intelligible. Roll the windows down and walk away from the truck 100 feet, still no issues hearing dispatch call me.

Overkill for base use, but will work just fine.

I'd not worry too much about which one as they are all pretty durable. Match the impedance if you can, but I've never had any issues with running 4Ω speakers on radios rated for 8Ω.

I think I have one of the waterproof versions that came out of a motorcycle installation. Can't really recall having any issues with audio quality.

The bigger square speakers are the ones I use. The smaller rectangular ones are a bit lighter duty. I've used them in mobile installs and they are sufficient unless you regularly do the 65MPH with the windows down and stereo cranked sort of thing. Good choice for base use unless your base station is in a loud factory or noisy dance club.
Awesome to hear. I have a 4032A in my office road truck and it’s great. I’ll go with another one of those for outdoor use and maybe a smaller one for the desk.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Awesome to hear. I have a 4032A in my office road truck and it’s great. I’ll go with another one of those for outdoor use and maybe a smaller one for the desk.

Only issue I ever had was one that was held in with sheet metal screws. Lots of trail vibration eventually caused them to back out. Now they all get installed with an aluminum bar backer plate on the backside of the dash. 1/4x20 hardware through the bracket, through the dash, through the backer plate and secured with nylocks. Haven't had one come loose since.