• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola SLR 8000 repeater not communicating with walkie-talkies issue

Gooms

Please i recently purchased two motorola SLR VHF repeaters and after programming it i tried communicating through the repeater using walkie talkies but the walkie talkies wouldn't communicate with each other unless they're directly in front of the repeater and if i take a step away from the repeater i wouldn't be able to use the walkie talkies again. please does anyone know the cause of this problem or how i can fix the issue on the repeater. I've tried getting the codeplug for the repeater but all my attempts to contact motorola has failed. please how do i fix this issue? i need help.

Gooms

Do you have a duplexer ot two antennas? If you dont have a duplexer you would need one antenna for transmit and one for receive spaced as far apart as possible
I am using two separate VHF antennas one for transmit and one for receive. I'm carrying out ground testing now so the antennas have not yet been rigged up to the mast. but at that, the walkie-talkies are supposed to be able to communicate with each other at a close distance.

And that would need to be vertical separation, not horizontal. And at VHF frequencies that would need to probably be 60’ at a minimum.
the frequencies I'm using for the repeaters are RX: 145.250, TX: 140.250, and no tone. also, the firmware version of the repeater is an old version "R02.07.08.02" I don't really know if that's a factor contributing to the issue.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
you are experiencing desense and receiver blanking, the transmit is overloading the receive and killing it, that is why the above advice is given. put the repeater on a couple dummy loads, a small one is fine for the RX but the TX needs to be rated for at least the amount of power out.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
btw, with VHF the portables can have blanking anytime they are too close to a high power signal. i've seen it many times where a portable would be deaf when a nearby control station would key up. only solution is to raise the antenna or make it so the portable is not in the strongest part of the field. heck even mobiles will have it, 2 vehicles next to each other and when 1 keys up the other never hears it because the signal is just too strong.

Firebuff880

I've tried getting the codeplug for the repeater but all my attempts to contact motorola has failed. please how do i fix this issue? i need help.

Motorola will not have your code plug -- You build and set them in both the repeaters and subscribers.

R02.07.08.02" I don't really know if that's a factor contributing to the issue.

It absolutely could be if your new subscribers came with current firmware and have the Inband talker alias or GPS options selected. Or you have a mismatch in any number of other settings.

I would get a Motorola Dealer involved.