• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola T5509 Talkabout disable all DCSS/DCS etc

GeoffinOz

Ok, I have a pair of Motorola TT5509 Talkabout Radios. I'm in Australia, so they are 40ch UHF CB here not FRS/GMRS whatever.
I cannot figure out how to disable all the useless tone squelch/interference eliminator or whatever else its called on these. I'm trying to work through a local repeater (yes we have open repeaters on UHF CB in Australia) and of course the radio can't hear my mobile radio through the repeater, apparently because it's not sending a tone to lift the squelch in the Talkabout. The radio has (apparently) 10 tones yet the book also mentions 38 'interference eliminator' tones and a QT filter which seems to be a tone squelch. I can't seem to find out how to turn ALL the darn things off. They are utterly useless no one here uses them. Even hams don't have access tones on repeaters on 2m or 70cm. Can anyone tell me the magic buttons to press to disable the darn tone squelch on receive please? The manual seems overly simplified and seems to assume you want it there all the time.

Cheers
Geoff in South Oz

a417

If the repeater isn't on channel 5/35 (in that radio), you might be out of luck. I'm sure sending the call tones makes you all the friends in the world. I'd pop those things open and cut the trace on that button to make sure that never happened.

qt.png

GeoffinOz

Yes, I saw the notes.
I disabled the 'call tone' already.

5 and 35 are the Emergency Channel (5) and it's repeater pair (35).
So that suggests it's on for every other channel and can't be shut off?
That's literally imbecilic.
I've read the manual and it's not helpful at all.

And yes, already thinking about open heart surgery. Explains why they were free.
They work ok to each other, but not other radios without the tone squelch nonsense
If I can find a schematic I'll reach in and disable it, but it's probably in firmware.
Typical Motorola. I've opened a support request with Motorola which will probably amount to nothing.
We'll see. But they are looking like becoming toys for the grandkids with repeater function disabled at this rate.

Thanks for responding

Geoff in South Oz

a417

I wouldn't necessarily say that the decisions made by the manufacturer are imbecilic. It's more like they are just trying to cater to the bubble pack radio people who may not know how, want to or care if the QT features are turned off. You need to take into consideration that these are marketed towards the pointy-clicky people who need it to "just work" when their kids are at the park or around the house, and any attempts at configuration could compromise the basic usability of them. Moto knows this. They aren't going to be as configurable as you want. Moto likely will tell you that they aren't designed or marketed for that use case.

They apparently are not the best hardware for you, despite being free.

Sorry.