• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola vhf receiver on 162.550

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

I have a single crystal controlled motorola receiver set up on 162.550 with a 1050HZ tone board. The receiver has been working great for Indianapolis weather(NWS). Tonight (Weds 12/23/15 we had severe weather warnings and a tornado watch that came out. My other nws receivers went off and opened with the 1050Hz tone that are not motorolas. (They are Midland, Radio Shack, etc..") My motorola alert receiver was on" alert mode and did not activate". It is receiving 162.550 in monitor mode. The receiver is not activating with the red light to come on and has been in the past". Any ideas on what this may be and can someone fix this for me. It is a great receiver with plenty of loud audio. I would like to get this fixed. Does anyone have any experience in repairing this unit for me? If anyone could help out a fellow member in need that would be great. Please feel free to im me with your name and phone number so I can call you and we can get this fixed. Thanks for your help.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I have a single crystal controlled motorola receiver set up on 162.550 with a 1050HZ tone board. The receiver has been working great for Indianapolis weather(NWS). Tonight (Weds 12/23/15 we had severe weather warnings and a tornado watch that came out. My other nws receivers went off and opened with the 1050Hz tone that are not motorolas. (They are Midland, Radio Shack, etc..") My motorola alert receiver was on" alert mode and did not activate". It is receiving 162.550 in monitor mode. The receiver is not activating with the red light to come on and has been in the past". Any ideas on what this may be and can someone fix this for me. It is a great receiver with plenty of loud audio. I would like to get this fixed. Does anyone have any experience in repairing this unit for me? If anyone could help out a fellow member in need that would be great. Please feel free to im me with your name and phone number so I can call you and we can get this fixed. Thanks for your help.

Model number from the plate on the back of the unit?

Voyager

For the cost of repair, you can likely replace the unit with one that operates on SAME and will automatically re-mute the audio once the announcement is over. And have some desk space left over.

W9NES

Thanks Voyager but I do not want to get rid of the unit. I want to keep it. Steve C0625 Model Number is MO3CNB1101A SP 3. I want to get this fixed. I have SAME receivers but I love my Motorola receiver.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Steve C0625 Model Number is MO3CNB1101A SP 3.
If you have some experience with a multi-meter, soldering on pc boards, and working on 1967 era electronics and components, it's possible that you might be able to troubleshoot and repair the decoder board by yourself.

I have the manual with schematics, board drawings, and parts lists. It's pretty straight forward and includes lots of test points with voltage notes. If you want to tackle this, let me know. I'll need your email address to send the PDF's of the manual pages.

But for starters, I'd open it up and see if there is anything obvious like a broken wire, poorly seated component, bad solder joint, etc.

Did it fail to alert just once, or is it failing on every alert from NWS?

FWIW, I always liked these receivers. The agencies I belonged to used Plectrons or pagers, but not the L03 or M03 units. I have an L03 on my desk right now. When time permits, I'm planning on recrystalling it for local fire calls. I have source of crystals, but have to hunt down an L03 manual yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.