MOTOTRBO is there a future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3bamams

I’ve been finding more and more commercial and noncommercial entities going to the DMR format and I know there will be a time where scanners will have this feature as a standard. Also With newer scanners coming onto the SDR concept like the BCD536HP it leaves me wondering if it can keep up with the changing technology. So my question is mostly for Upman or anyone who can answer it, can scanners like the BCD536HP be easily programed to decode these new formats through a software upgrade or is it more of a hardware issue?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Moot topic really, just as soon as there is a scanner that will pick up 'Trbo, the box with "encryption" will start getting checked more often. That's included on all digital mototrbo radios CPS.

PACNWDude

Guilty of changing to Trbo here too.

My job has been transitioning to Trbo as well.

The radios have: built in encryption, are intrinsically safe, and have a long battery life and durable build quality. They are also cheaper than the older analog only radios they replaced.

I always try to attack my own radio systems as if someone from the outside was trying to be malicious. It has been hard with a scanner. Computers, radio service monitor and software can help, but is not easy.

As transmitters get more sophisticated, so do the scanners and technology to listen to them.

jdobbs2001

It's called Software defined radio. I am listening right now to mototrbo systems. I was surprised to find so many places have converted.

Uniden will never track that because it is proprietary. but nothing can stop people writing decoders and releasing them to the public so you can set up your SDR to decode.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

jdobbs2001 said:
It's called Software defined radio. I am listening right now to mototrbo systems. I was surprised to find so many places have converted.

Uniden will never track that because it is proprietary. but nothing can stop people writing decoders and releasing them to the public so you can set up your SDR to decode.

TRBO is NOT proprietary, aspects of the truning technology Motorola implemented in TRBO is not compliant with DMR tier 3 standard but at the Tier 2 level TRBO will interoperate with any other DMR radio. DMR IS an ETSI published standard.

al95

Uniden and UPMAN won't respond to questions about future products or features..

Uniden(Upman) had responded to past post with "he can not talk about and tell if any future products or features Uniden is working on" or something like that. That is why Uniden and Upman have not responded.

scraech

Uniden claims to be a world without wires? But I need the Uniden and my PC and and two wires lol the power cord and my direct feed line from the scanner. The new technologies that come should be implemented into their flag ship scanners. I remember when Smart Net II came out and the other sophisticated new means of trunking and our older trunking III scanners and now trunktracker IV. My guess is time to change the Roman Numeral name. Trunktracker V.

Analogrules

Yes, since DMR is even getting popular with Ham radio, I would hope/assume at least one scanner company will be keeping up with the technology and introduce a DMR capable scanner. It would be silly not to develop scanners with this technology. Otherwise, these scanner manufacturing companies will start losing business and go bankrupt because once EVERYONE switches over, the current scanners will be useless.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Ha ha...

Knowing Uniden, and the debacle with the 436/536HP units; if it does ever come, it will likely be a whole new scanner and another $500-$600 out of your pocket!

After almost 10 months of nothing but horse sh*it from Uniden on the 436/536 models, I will never own another one of their scanners. If you want MOTOTRBO, but a simple CSI 700 radio for $180 and listen to your hearts content or for free with various software tools on the PC.

I'd personnally save your money and grab the new AOR that's scheduled to be released in the neater future. That will decode D-Star, Yaesu's C4FM System Fusion, DMR, Project-25 Phase I and II, etc. Don't waste your money on another Uniden and empty promises...

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I only own REAL radios (i.e. Motorola, ICOM, and Kenwood); I'll never have any cheap Chinese knockoffs! Yes, that means you Baofang, Wouxun, CSI...

That would be "Baofeng", not "Baofang"...

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
That would be "Baofeng", not "Baofang"...

Thanks for the correction; but, when I added that comment to my signature, that's actually how their own company website had it spelled. Anyway, I see that has changed now, so I have updated with the correction... They are still cheap Chinese radios, and although I will never own one, I cannot say they are all that bad, some actually work and sound pretty good! I just can't stand how they are causing American based companies sales to plummet; however, with that said, when Uniden does things like they have with the 436/536 release; I can see why folks are going for the cheaper knock-off products...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
"American" companies as in Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood? That were founded and are headquartered in Japan? That manufacture their products in Japan, Thailand, the Phillipines, and China, just like Motorola does?

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
"American" companies as in Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood? That were founded and are headquartered in Japan? That manufacture their products in Japan, Thailand, the Phillipines, and China, just like Motorola does?

Agreed; however, the difference is ICOM, Kenwood, Motorola, etc. have a large U.S. presence, providing jobs, engineering, etc here on U.S. soil; they do not steal others intellectual property... ICOM has a large office in Kirkland, WA. Kenwood just outside of Atlanta, GA, Motorola in Illinois, etc.

Where is CSI U.S. presence; oh yeah, on reseller in CA. How about Baofeng; yup, changed their name in the U.S. to continue imports and avoid trademark issues.

If American's keep buying these cheap radios, they will soon find that they are the only products that will be available in the future; subsequently, more American jobs will be lost when ICOM and Kenwood pullout of the U.S. market; not to mention what will happen to the amateur radio marketplace as well.

There is barely anything made here in the U.S. these days; hell, even the American auto industry has sent jobs to Mexico, etc. Blame NAFTA and CAFTA under the Clinton administration for that explosion of outsourcing... All I am saying is that we should support what little we have left here and stop feeding the Chinese economy! Hell, our country is already in so much debt to China that they practically own us all already... That's Obama for adding to that debt!

uli2000

Premium Subscriber
Agreed; however, the difference is ICOM, Kenwood, Motorola, etc. have a large U.S. presence, providing jobs, engineering, etc here on U.S. soil; they do not steal others intellectual property... ICOM has a large office in Kirkland, WA. Kenwood just outside of Atlanta, GA, Motorola in Illinois, etc.

Where is CSI U.S. presence; oh yeah, on reseller in CA. How about Baofeng; yup, changed their name in the U.S. to continue imports and avoid trademark issues.

If American's keep buying these cheap radios, they will soon find that they are the only products that will be available in the future; subsequently, more American jobs will be lost when ICOM and Kenwood pullout of the U.S. market; not to mention what will happen to the amateur radio marketplace as well.

There is barely anything made here in the U.S. these days; hell, even the American auto industry has sent jobs to Mexico, etc. Blame NAFTA and CAFTA under the Clinton administration for that explosion of outsourcing... All I am saying is that we should support what little we have left here and stop feeding the Chinese economy! Hell, our country is already in so much debt to China that they practically own us all already... That's Obama for adding to that debt!

Connect Systems isn't a reseller. Jerry, the owner, develops the firmware and works with the Chinese manufacturer to build the radios. He says the radios are manufactured in China because of cost savings.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

They have an American sales/support force. Except for Motorola, their design and R&D workforce is located overseas. The only meaningful structural difference between Baofeng and Icom & Kenwood is that their R&D/engineering staff are located in China instead of Japan.

teufler

NAFTA was signed by President George H.W. Bush, Mexican President Salinas, and Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney in 1992. It was ratified by the legislatures of the three countries in 1993. The U.S. House of Representatives approved it by 234 to 200 on November 17, 1993. The U.S. Senate approved it by 60 to 38 on November 20, three days later.
Clinton signed into law, something that Bush the elder first signed.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
NAFTA was signed by President George H.W. Bush, Mexican President Salinas, and Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney in 1992. It was ratified by the legislatures of the three countries in 1993. The U.S. House of Representatives approved it by 234 to 200 on November 17, 1993. The U.S. Senate approved it by 60 to 38 on November 20, three days later.
Clinton signed into law, something that Bush the elder first signed.

Now now, do not let something silly like fact get in the way of a good anti-liberal rant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Speaking of MOTOTRBO, any RR members own, or have experience with, a Kirisun DP770 DMR radio? If so, pls msg me. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.