MSP State coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnightsteel

Premium Subscriber
I dont think I'm getting the proper ranges for the State Police county frequencies. When I download them into Proscan they dont have range information in the GPS section. When I download them in Freescan they are all set to 125 miles. I am currently searching in the the database to see where the range information is located

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
ProScan is importing Maryland State Police range 9 miles all groups.

Last edited:

midnightsteel

Premium Subscriber
ProScan is importing Maryland State Police range 9 miles all groups.
Another question for you. How do I enable GPS for all systems with GPS info by default. Its an import option in FreeScan. Is there something similar in ProScan?

JayG1176

I dont think I'm getting the proper ranges for the State Police county frequencies. When I download them into Proscan they dont have range information in the GPS section. When I download them in Freescan they are all set to 125 miles. I am currently searching in the the database to see where the range information is located
Which database are you using? The old system is outdated, they are on the First Responders Interoperable Radio System Team (FIRST) system now... First Responders Interoperable Radio System Team (FIRST) Trunking System, Various, Maryland - Scanner Frequencies

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm unclear if the OP is using the MSP's VHF freqs, or their TG on the respective county's TRS. There is no reason why a county TRS has a 125 mile range, and individual TGs don't have ranges. I suspect he means barracks freqs when he says county frequencies. He would probably have a better listening experience if he was to monitor the state police on the county's TRS (excepting St Marys) - unless he's attempting to monitor from a distance outside the service area.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
The old low band and vhf frequencies are being (or have been) phased out in lieu of FiRST talkgroups, most of which are encrypted. ALL barracks have FiRST capabilities, even if they have not been used/implemented yet. Montgomery, PG & Southern MD are patched to the county TRS because they have better coverage than the vhf frequencies. I believe St. Mary's entire trunked system is encrypted, although I don't get down there that often to listen. The 3 Counties on the Eastern Shore Consortium have gone the exact opposite route: instead of MSP using talkgroups on their system, the three counties are going over to FiRST for communications.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The old low band and vhf frequencies are being (or have been) phased out in lieu of FiRST talkgroups, most of which are encrypted. ALL barracks have FiRST capabilities, even if they have not been used/implemented yet. Montgomery, PG & Southern MD are patched to the county TRS because they have better coverage than the vhf frequencies. I believe St. Mary's entire trunked system is encrypted, although I don't get down there that often to listen. The 3 Counties on the Eastern Shore Consortium have gone the exact opposite route: instead of MSP using talkgroups on their system, the three counties are going over to FiRST for communications.
For clarification, the main / dispatch / ops TG for each state police barrack on the FIRST system is not encrypted. The barrack TAC TGs are encrypted, as well as most non-patrol services TGs. The MSP Leonardtown TG on the St. Mary's County is encrypted due to the configuration of the county's system. I expect that when the Leonardtown barrack is up on FIRST, their main TG will be unencrypted as is standard practice with other barracks around the state.

In Montgomery and Prince George's County, the troopers use portable radios that operate natively on the county systems (which are probably now FIRST radios.) I suspect this configuration also applies in other counties as well. FIRST Zone 5 should be alive by the end of the year. The southern Maryland counties will come online first, then the metro DC counties.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.