Multiple agencies on one feed too confusing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmundal

I currently provide a feed of the Salem fire department. I've noticed two things. One... the traffic isn't all that heavy most of the time, and two, nobody feeds the state police.

Would it be a bad idea to add OSP (Salem area) to the same feed as SFD? Is there even any interest in hearing what OSP is up to seeing as the majority of traffic is just traffic stops on the highway?

Thanks,
Tom

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
I currently provide a feed of the Salem fire department. I've noticed two things. One... the traffic isn't all that heavy most of the time, and two, nobody feeds the state police.

Would it be a bad idea to add OSP (Salem area) to the same feed as SFD? Is there even any interest in hearing what OSP is up to seeing as the majority of traffic is just traffic stops on the highway?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to put the stream up. On your question I don't think more than one agency on a stream would be a problem, a lot are like that. From a listener's standpoint I would not want to hear law enforcement traffic on a fire stream. So perhaps you could add in some more local area fire traffic. KFD is on C2, and C3 MCFD#1 on C1, and C3. South-1, and North-1 would also be good choices.

It's good to know there is a SFD stream for when I'm out of the area. I used to listen to Ben's before he took it down.

Jim

Baker845

The feeds are great keep up the great work. Like n7maq-1 said PD you may want put on other feed and not stream it with Fire, other them that feeds sound great.

Last edited:

tmundal

Yeah I see your point on the fire and pd together. Maybe when it's upgrade time I can use my second scanner to do osp. And unfortunately with my current setup the best I could do is dispatches for Marion county fire, I get very poor reception of the mobile units.

Thanks for the input.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
I also wouldn't mix fire and law enforcement.

Having multiple agencies can get confusing if the channels are all busy.

But the majority of the time, that won't be the case.

If you do have a second scanner and want to play with one, I've got a handful of the usb audio adapters that Lindsay Blanton (the rr.com owner) used to deploy the audio appliance in washington DC.

tmundal

I'll test it out today and see how the reception is. I can pick up Marion Co dispatches for instance, but not much of the transmissions from the units themselves. I think its similar for Polk for me, but I will check it out.

What do you think about adding Polk County Fire 154.235 to your feed of Salem/Marion Co Fire?

Baker845

Unit radios, hts 5 watts and Mobile radio 50 watts so some times you hear them and, some times you won't. N7maq-1 may know better then me but, i thought Polk county fire 154.235 is repeater?

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
Unit radios, hts 5 watts and Mobile radio 50 watts so some times you hear them and, some times you won't. N7maq-1 may know better then me but, i thought Polk county fire 154.235 is repeater?

That is correct, 154.235 is the output of a repeater.

Jim

radiotweester

tmundal - That's a bummer about the reception. I spend a lot of time down that direction, but here in Hillsboro there is just too much interference from the Longview are on the same freq.

n7maq-1 I know that there is a repeater, but is seems like Monmouth/Independence use it and Dallas/Falls City don't. Not sue if that's proximity to Salem Dispatch or what?

ORE007

Feed Provider
tmundal - That's a bummer about the reception. I spend a lot of time down that direction, but here in Hillsboro there is just too much interference from the Longview are on the same freq.

n7maq-1 I know that there is a repeater, but is seems like Monmouth/Independence use it and Dallas/Falls City don't. Not sue if that's proximity to Salem Dispatch or what?

Dallas, Falls City, Sw Polk and PCFD#1 (Monmouth/independence) are all on the same repeater. I listen to them all the time.

edwinmcarter

edwin carter

The current feed for Salem PD and fire is also broadcasting Marion County Sheriff. Much is lost listening to all three during any major emergency. If someone is willing to coach me thru the broadcasting set up, I would recommend putting Salem FD with the Marion County Sheriff, and be willing to provide a feed for Salem PD channels 1 and 3.
Untimately, three seperate feeds would be the best solution for this area.
Salem PD
Marion County Sheriff
Salem Fire

tmundal

The current feed for Salem PD and fire is also broadcasting Marion County Sheriff. Much is lost listening to all three during any major emergency. If someone is willing to coach me thru the broadcasting set up, I would recommend putting Salem FD with the Marion County Sheriff, and be willing to provide a feed for Salem PD channels 1 and 3.
Untimately, three seperate feeds would be the best solution for this area.
Salem PD
Marion County Sheriff
Salem Fire

The Salem Fire & PD feed is no longer broadcasting county. There was an SPD feed, but it has been down for two weeks, so I added PD to the Fire one. Two separate feeds would be nice, but generally there isn't so much going on with both agencies that you lose all that much.

That said.. if youre willing to take over one of the agencies I'd be more than happy to just do the other. Or I could drop SPD and add MCSO to SFD like you suggested.

I tried carrying county too, as the Marion county feed is pretty unreliable and I personally like to monitor all the area police agencies...but I know its hard to follow what one is doing when so much is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.