Multiple MARCS sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6pmnews

Premium Subscriber
I monitor MARCS from a fixed base half way between Campbell and Salem Ohio. I have input frequencies from the following sites into my bcd996t. Campbell, Salem, East Palestine, Alliance, East Trumbull, Leavittsburg. (I think that's all of em')

However my log shows me only picking up the Campbell site. So do I need the other sites?

I guess what I'm asking is, is every MARCS site capable of transmitting all of the traffic from anywhere in Ohio?

In other words, could I put in info for MARCS agencies in Columbus and still pick them up off the Campbell site?

Last edited by a moderator:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I monitor Marcs from a fixed base half way between Campbell and Salem Ohio. I have input frequencies from the following sites into my bcd996t. Campbell, Salem, East Palestine, Alliance, East Trumbull, Leavittsburg. (I think that's all of em')

However my log shows me only picking up the Campbell site. So do I need the other sites?

I guess what I'm asking is, is every Marcs site capable of transmitting all of the traffic from anywhere in Ohio?

In other words, could I put in info for Marcs agencies in Columbus and still pick them up off the Campbell site?

1. Even though you feel you are 'local' to those sites, it sounds like you simply aren't picking up most of them. If I were you I'd lock out all sites but the ones you know you can reliably receive.

2. Each site does NOT broadcast all traffic from all talkgroups active on the system.

If you put a bunch of Columbus stuff in and you are only monitoring around YNG, you will rarely [or even less frequently] hear anything on those talkgroups.

The only time non-local talkgroups are going to be active on the local towers is when some unit from one of those agencies happens to be in your area, passing through or whatever, and they affiliate with one of the local sites.

For instance, I often hear traffic from Muskingum Co Sheriff, even though MC is many counties away from me. When I hear it, it is because one or more MCSO units are affiliated with one of the local towers I'm monitoring.

Mike

PS: If you are halfway between Campbell and Salem, you should definitely be picking up the Salem site. You need to make sure you have the latest firmware in your scanner and that you have properly set up the sites as rebanded sites. I won't go into that -- I don't do Uniden. But there are plenty of threads about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.