My first hate mail for ID Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbts

AZScanner said:
Sounds more like some of you need to realize that not every programmer on the planet writes perfectly bug-free code that works on every computer on the planet (especially one that some clueless retard completely screwed up beyond any and all repair) and then out of the kindness of their hearts, not only gives that software(and the countless hours of labor spent creating it) away for free but also spends the rest of their lives supporting it (again for FREE) talking to people that are too damned illiterate, lazy or just plain stupid to cooperate. I used to write free scanner software. USED TO. People like the guy who emailed in that complaint are the reason why I no longer do.

I have no problem helping someone out who honestly needs it. But there's such a thing as a scope of support. When a FREE program doesn't work on a particular PC the remedy is simple - try it on another one or try a different program. That's about as far as I would go in terms of support on a FREE program.

-AZ

Sorry I got you fired up. Nice rant though.

trunker0205

That is too funny...:)

You can sense he is definitely frustrated with all the new computer controlled scanners,your program just probably put im over the top...I have a nice bearcat III 8 channel crystal scanner he can buy.

Im sure that wont stress him out too much..LOL

SCPD

QRT
AZScanner said:
I used to write free scanner software. USED TO. People like the guy who emailed in that complaint are the reason why I no longer do.
Careful Phil. I'll send my evil minions over to lock you in a room with a PC and a fresh copy of Visual Studio 2005. You're task? Re-write PC895 as a VB.NET application.

For those who don't know or have forgotten - PC895 is a darn good program. I used it on my BC245 (yes, it worked) before BC245Int became available (another good program).

Drat! Checking in, I see my my evil minions have left Arizona. Looks like you're off the hook Phil.

-rick

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
brscanning said:
I just thought the message was funny because I imagined the guy at his computer typing the email in a total rage. My original post does not include all the emphasis (underlining, big bold characters, etc) in certain parts of the message.

I agree. This IS the best part.
I can see the new compuer (that did not come with an RS-232 port) sitting up on a TV tray in the living room, as the VCR flashes 12:00 over and over. The guy is in a total rage, yelling and screaming as he types in the hate letter to a poor guy who wrote some FREE software!
Awesome!

Last edited:

mrhex

Just my $0.02 worth.

After several years working technical support I can relate. Electronics should get easier to use, not more complicated. Although I will admit that trunk tracking scanner is are not for a newbie scannist. Rather than go all out on blaming your program for the root of their frustration, they should offer some suggestions to try to improve the product.

On the flip side of the coin; this self-prescribed "arrogance" among *nix programmers doesn't help the situation. The new breed of scanners are much more complicated. Yes change happens. Rather then look down upon your paying users, perhaps wouldn't you be better off pointing them in the right direction towards using your product?

Customer service really is a dying art these days...

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
You may have missed an important point when you state "Rather then look down upon your paying users"...
That is the point of this whole thread... the software is free!
If the software cost money I don't think any of us would be in here having fun with this thread.
This issue here is that someone sent a super flaming letter to a guy who wrote FREE software.
The other point here is that if the guy had sent an note saying, "Hey man, I downloaded your software and I can't get it to work. I am a new user and I was wondering if you could help me." I think any one of us would have tried to help the guy out...

mrhex said:
After several years working technical support I can relate. Electronics should get easier to use, not more complicated. Although I will admit that trunk tracking scanner is are not for a newbie scannist. Rather than go all out on blaming your program for the root of their frustration, they should offer some suggestions to try to improve the product.

On the flip side of the coin; this self-prescribed "arrogance" among *nix programmers doesn't help the situation. The new breed of scanners are much more complicated. Yes change happens. Rather then look down upon your paying users, perhaps wouldn't you be better off pointing them in the right direction towards using your product?

Customer service really is a dying art these days...

DPD1

brscanning said:
I thought this was funny. My first hate mail for my scanner program. Never mind the fact that I don't charge for it, never guaranteed it and many other users have had no problem with it. I think the guy is a little frustrated dealing with computers and scanners.

Hey, it could have been worse... He could have wasted your time asking questions for two months, and THEN gone off on you. :)

The internet is a funny place. It seems to inject courage into some people... They'll say things that you know they would never have the nerve to say to you in person. If you met him face to face, he probably wouldn't say two words to you.

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
- Custom Scanner, Aviation, MURS, GMRS, Marine & Ham Antennas -

Status
Not open for further replies.