My Home "Setup"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

I'm sitting here bored so I figured I'd share a pic of what I use while I'm at home. I don't have a really elaborate setup as some do here. Reason being is I'm on the go a good bit so most of my equipment is if the portable nature. If anything I have is an "elaborate" setup it's what is in my vehicle which can be viewed in it's own thread. Just search for it.

Anyway, back to the original topic. I've always preferred portables to mobiles just for the simple fact that if I need a radio I want something I can take with me and not be "confined" to my vehicle. Here's a list of what's pictured ( Left to Right ):

-- Motorola Minitor II SV ( VHF Hi ) in an amplified charger. This was my personal pager I bought for the fire department in 1998. I had to change the housing on it once because of a broken belt clip. The label on the new housing says Director 2 SV but it is in fact a Minitor as evidenced by looking at the top of the pager. The new housing has been on the pager since 2002 and it still looks brand new. That's because I never carried it after that. After I got my first 800 portable I used it and my Nextel for alphanumeric paging & texting, using the Minitor for waking me up at night. It is set to 154.2500 MHz and is used to monitor Rowan County Fire Dispatch, however I did remove the tone reeds since I didn't need it to activate anymore.

-- Motorola Minitor 5 ( VHF Hi ) with drop in cradle. Originally a 1 channel pager it has been "upgraded" :D to a 2 channel pager. It is programmed for our severe weather warning/alert & announcement paging tones only on both channels. Switches as follows: *SW-A (Selective Call on F1 Tone Only) 154.2500 Rowan County Fire - Group Call for severe weather or other announcements as deemed appropriate.
*SW-B ( Tone & Vibrate for F1 ).
*SW-C ( Monitor on F2 Tone & Vibrate) 155.7150 Rowan County EMS/Rescue - Group Call for severe weather or other announcements as deemed appropriate.
*SW-D (Probability Scan for F1 & F2 Tone Only)

-- Motorola JT1000 ( VHF-Hi ) - Main use is with callout with the Red Cross. This way I have access to change freq's on the go when using a computer isn't available or practical.

-- Motorola MTS2000 ( 800 ) - Used as conventional only strictly for the 8CALL freq's/channels in the NIFOG manual.

-- EF Johnson 5100 ( VHF-Hi P25 ) - Main VHF portable that I use everyday. In addition to it being P25 capable which is a have to these days it will do FPP as well.

-- Uniden BCD396XT and Uniden BC346XT - The 396 is used daily to monitor our local P25 system , as well as the surrounding P25 and digital systems. The 346 is used to monitor conventional VHF & UHF stuff, testing, and aircraft monitoring. *** Side note - The 396XT is in the black housing and the 346 is in the silver housing. I swapped the housings because I like the subdued color of the black housing better than the silver. It doesn't show scuffs or scratches nearly as much as that silver one.

**Not Pictured is my Kenwood TK-380 "Model 2". I use it for several different things. It resides in my vehicle most of the time and I didn't feel like walking out to get it LOL.

Hope I didn't ramble on to much but I like to explain in as much detail as I can what's pictured to save a lot a questions. But if you have any please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for looking !!!!!

***EDIT*** I forgot about the Baofeng on top of the Minitor 2 amplified charger....... It's a dual 2M/440 that I bought just to mess around with. For a little better than $30 I couldn't pass it up. Again nothing special, just something to play around with.

Last edited:

W8VFD

Feed Provider
Baofeng & Minitors

Good stuff, nice "thinking outside the box" using the Minitor as a weather monitor, I did the same with my MInitor VI, programmed the 1050Hz tone into it in select call mode and have it on silent scan between it and my fire dispatch channel.

I bought a Baofeng UV5R for the same reasons, for the price it's something to mess with.

I'm sitting here bored so I figured I'd share a pic of what I use while I'm at home. I don't have a really elaborate setup as some do here. Reason being is I'm on the go a good bit so most of my equipment is if the portable nature. If anything I have is an "elaborate" setup it's what is in my vehicle which can be viewed in it's own thread. Just search for it.

Anyway, back to the original topic. I've always preferred portables to mobiles just for the simple fact that if I need a radio I want something I can take with me and not be "confined" to my vehicle. Here's a list of what's pictured ( Left to Right ):

-- Motorola Minitor II SV ( VHF Hi ) in an amplified charger. This was my personal pager I bought for the fire department in 1998. I had to change the housing on it once because of a broken belt clip. The label on the new housing says Director 2 SV but it is in fact a Minitor as evidenced by looking at the top of the pager. The new housing has been on the pager since 2002 and it still looks brand new. That's because I never carried it after that. After I got my first 800 portable I used it and my Nextel for alphanumeric paging & texting, using the Minitor for waking me up at night. It is set to 154.2500 MHz and is used to monitor Rowan County Fire Dispatch, however I did remove the tone reeds since I didn't need it to activate anymore.

-- Motorola Minitor 5 ( VHF Hi ) with drop in cradle. Originally a 1 channel pager it has been "upgraded" :D to a 2 channel pager. It is programmed for our severe weather warning/alert & announcement paging tones only on both channels. Switches as follows: *SW-A (Selective Call on F1 Tone Only) 154.2500 Rowan County Fire - Group Call for severe weather or other announcements as deemed appropriate.
*SW-B ( Tone & Vibrate for F1 ).
*SW-C ( Monitor on F2 Tone & Vibrate) 155.7150 Rowan County EMS/Rescue - Group Call for severe weather or other announcements as deemed appropriate.
*SW-D (Probability Scan for F1 & F2 Tone Only)

-- Motorola JT1000 ( VHF-Hi ) - Main use is with callout with the Red Cross. This way I have access to change freq's on the go when using a computer isn't available or practical.

-- Motorola MTS2000 ( 800 ) - Used as conventional only strictly for the 8CALL freq's/channels in the NIFOG manual.

-- EF Johnson 5100 ( VHF-Hi P25 ) - Main VHF portable that I use everyday. In addition to it being P25 capable which is a have to these days it will do FPP as well.

-- Uniden BCD396XT and Uniden BC346XT - The 396 is used daily to monitor our local P25 system , as well as the surrounding P25 and digital systems. The 346 is used to monitor conventional VHF & UHF stuff, testing, and aircraft monitoring. *** Side note - The 396XT is in the black housing and the 346 is in the silver housing. I swapped the housings because I like the subdued color of the black housing better than the silver. It doesn't show scuffs or scratches nearly as much as that silver one.

**Not Pictured is my Kenwood TK-380 "Model 2". I use it for several different things. It resides in my vehicle most of the time and I didn't feel like walking out to get it LOL.

Hope I didn't ramble on to much but I like to explain in as much detail as I can what's pictured to save a lot a questions. But if you have any please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for looking !!!!!

***EDIT*** I forgot about the Baofeng on top of the Minitor 2 amplified charger....... It's a dual 2M/440 that I bought just to mess around with. For a little better than $30 I couldn't pass it up. Again nothing special, just something to play around with.

KM4WLV

Good stuff, nice "thinking outside the box" using the Minitor as a weather monitor, I did the same with my MInitor VI, programmed the 1050Hz tone into it in select call mode and have it on silent scan between it and my fire dispatch channel.

I bought a Baofeng UV5R for the same reasons, for the price it's something to mess with.

I thought about going back and reprogramming F2 / Channel 2 with the NOAA transmitter site closest to my house that covers my area ( KJY85 - in Mooresville, NC ), I just haven't yet. Honestly when I programmed our County Fire Disp in channel 1, & EMS Disp in channel 2 was just a force of habit lol. When I was still working in radio full time all of our customers that bought 2 channel pagers always had them programmed like that.

That's actually not a bad idea with it added in and using silent scan........... That would still give me notifications from our comm / 911 center, but also cover a wider area in case something is headed this way. As it happens a lot around here, when a severe thunderstorm or tornado warning is issued by the NWS for our county the dispatchers are slammed with calls and can't get the tones set off in a timely manner & by the time they do we're already in the middle of it. And then there are times missed where it doesn't happen at all.

Have you had any issues with your M5 falsing on the NS stuff, or any troubles with it not activating? The reason I ask is mine covers the 151 to 158.9975. I've heard you can deviate a little to each side and not lose performance. I've got the programmer sitting beside me so I'll go mess with it and see how it goes. I'll report back........

slapshot0017

What's that tape u have in the antenna? Regular electrical for color coding or some special reflective for visibility?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

KM4WLV

What's that tape u have in the antenna? Regular electrical for color coding or some special reflective for visibility?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The tape on the antenna's is a combination of 3M Red or White reflective tape. I've actually got a "code" if you want to call it that for them...........
White reflective with a red stripe (reflective) is used on my VHF antennas. On the UHF antennas I use a red reflective ring with white stripe in the middle. 800's get a single single small red stripe while scanners get a single small white stripe.

I got in the habit of putting reflective stripes on my stuff after losing a department issued 800 and pager on a call one night. Luckily we found them after about 45 minutes of combing the scene. I know in the pics make the reflective stripes look huge because of the flash but they are relatively small stripes.

Thanks again to all who have commented and for the kind words !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.