My shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

okccsi

Here is the first run of pics. First folder has the antenna install pics. The antenna has a RS scanner antenna and the antenna for my LTR base station. Three more will be going up, but that will have to wait until next month. With the current scanner antenna I can pick up Logan County Sheriff's Department which is roughly 40 miles away. I haven't tried anything further away than that yet.

The second folder is the shack itself. Shelves are ordinary Ace Hardware shelving system. I took peg board and cut it to fit using a wood trim stand off that was the same size as the brackets for the shelves. This allowed me to hide all the wires. 1.5X1 cutouts on each side allows the wires to feed through and split off to each side.

Not done: routing all the wires below the bottom shelf. I also have another peg board setup to hide most of that too, but it is leaning against my desk. Also, I have not run my coax into the house yet as I am waiting until I can get to the hardware store to find some electrical junction boxes for the outside and inside. I have determined this to be the best way to run 5 lines of coax that already have connectors on them. I can't stand wires showing everywhere. Looks like a bowl of spaghetti got tossed on the wall.

Not shown: Kenwood TK8180 (with KA-P2 PA mod) and 1 BC350C (both installed in the car, 2 BC350A's (FIL has one on loan), BC785D, BCT7, BC890XLT, BC895XLT, BC560XLT, 4 of the Audiovox GMRS radios, and 2 of the Kenwood TK380's. Most of it because it either has not arrived, has not been unpacked, or in the case of the Kenwoods, employees have them. I also have a base station coming next week for the LTR system I use. I think it is a Kenwood 8180, not sure yet.

What is shown: BCT8, BC580XLT, BC898T, BC400XLT, Pro-2046, Pro-83, Pro-95 X2, Pro-97, Kenwood TK-380, Motorola Regency Hi/Lo Monitoradio/Scanner, Regency Touch M100, Audiovox GMRS X2

I monitor MILAIR since I am 2 miles from Tinker AFB, Eastside Oklahoma County (about 6 small towns east and north of Midwest City), Hefner OKC, Will Rogers OKC, Springlake OKC, Midwest City, KK5FM's repeater, and a few others that stay on scan.

In the car I monitor mostly Hefner division OKC while working. However, I usually run the handhelds for Edmond, Warr Acres, Springlake division OKC, OHP while on the turnpike.

I have the pics of my mobile setup posted in here as well. That was a couple of months ago I think.

Some of the pictures are small and then the next one will be the exact same version but larger. I am too damn tired to go back and try to edit everything or even do a decent webpage for them. Sorry, shoot me.

www.okccsi.com/shack

OKC CSI

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Do I dare ask what the paddle is for!!!

That's HamSexy ;)

3.JPG

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Nice job. If I were you, I would go back and seal up the antenna connectors where the PL-259 screws to the bottom of the antennas. Rain will work its way into the connector and cable, ruining it in no time. They make commercial antenna sealer tape for this purpose.

SCPD

QRT
It looks like a Regency TMR-8 sitting on the left side of the second shelf. Am I correct? I still have mine and use it from time to time. I like the effect of the rolling light flashing. Reminds me of the "good old days" more than anything else.

hoser147

Looks Good A+ Dealing with the wires can be a long process. Ive been considering different ways to hide some wireing from computer and scanners on my desk and kinda leaning to making up a slide in with maps on it seeing how my radios and computer are in the main living room. Good Scanin and nice job...............hoser147

okccsi

W4KRR said:
Nice job. If I were you, I would go back and seal up the antenna connectors where the PL-259 screws to the bottom of the antennas. Rain will work its way into the connector and cable, ruining it in no time. They make commercial antenna sealer tape for this purpose.

Only one is a PL-259, the other is an N connector. But yes, I will be sealing them when I ground it and tack the wires down to hide them.

OKC CSI

okccsi

Exsmokey said:
It looks like a Regency TMR-8 sitting on the left side of the second shelf. Am I correct? I still have mine and use it from time to time. I like the effect of the rolling light flashing. Reminds me of the "good old days" more than anything else.

It is a Motorola Regency Hi/Lo Monitoradio/Scanner. This radio has a lot of history. My grandfather bought it new in 77. He used to pay my mother to sit at home and listen to it. He owned Safeway Taxi here in Midwest City/Oklahoma City. So it had the Yellow Cab channels, B&B Cab Company (his best friend's cab company) and the only 2 OKC police channels at that time. He paid a lot for those crystals back in the day. He wanted to know if his drivers were getting pulled over, and if Yellow Cab (his main competition) was jumping fares. As of now, only one crystal is bad. two of the others are not in use, but still work, 3 are still Yellow Cab, and the last two are active OKC channels.

Yellow Cab is funny down here in OKC. They run two channels for South Metro and two for North Metro. One channel is for base to car, and the other is for car to base. I guess they never got around to getting a good repeater system even after 30 years.

The radio survived a move to Tenn, stored in a shed for 10 years. Came back to OKC area and stayed in a shed for several more years until my grandfather died. That was a little over a year ago and my dad pulled it out and turned it on. Works great still. I like listening to the taxi company. What cracks me up is when they read cc numbers out over the radio for everyone to hear. This accompanied by the full name on the card and the expiration dates.

I will keep it until it dies, and probably even after that.

OKC CSI

okccsi

bigbluemsp said:
Nice set up ya got there.

how many Streamlight SL20X Flashlights do you have and need? lol

As far as Streamlights go, you can never have enough. I had one SL-20 that was my step-dad's and then my mom gave me the other original SL-20. The kind with the slide button and shorter frame. Still take the same battery, just can't get warranty parts anymore. I found a lot of 7 being auctioned on eBay a couple of years ago. Basically a box of parts. Picked up the whole thing for $76 shipped. Came with seven frames, four new lenses, 5 new bulbs, and two new batteries. I bought batteries, warrantied 4 new switches, and they all worked perfect. However, only one was a SL-20. The others were SL-15's, which is now the SL-20XP. I sold the only SL-20 in the box for $45 and one SL-15 for $40 and made my money back pretty much. I would sell the SL-15's for $40 all day long if someone wanted one. I also have a SL-35 which isn't pictured. Took me 4 months to find one on eBay and I got it for $40 and spent another $26 on a battery. I love that thing, although it is not entirely practical.

I have a wee little addiction to flashlights, like scanners, but nothing like the guys at www.candlepowerforums.com.

With storms and power outages common here in Oklahoma, you can never have enough flashlights charged and ready for use. My house has built in battery powered emergency lights all through it. Boy Scout camping trips are always fun as I usually have the best lights.

OKC CSI

Go-24

Nice collection of flash lights there. :p

What do you monitor with the security monitor?

okccsi

Go-24 said:
Nice collection of flash lights there. :p

What do you monitor with the security monitor?

In my old neighborhood, I monitored the front yard and the driveway. In the new neighborhood and house I monitor the backyard and pool. After some ass-breathing retard shot my Excursion up last night with a bb-gun I will be installing 3 or 4 more in the front yard with a dvr recorder.

My wife likes to be able to watch the pools while she is in the office so she can see if the kids try to go near the pool while in the backyard.

OKC CSI

okccsi

RISC777 said:
Good set of images. And I actually like the ftp way of browsing through them, less load time than a designed web site.

I do want to ask though, in 3.jpg, is that a Gerber knife or other brand?

I assume you are asking about the knife or knives on the right side of the shelf. Both of those are Smith & Wesson knives. The foling knife is an assisted opening one and probably one of the sharpest I have ever bought. Kinda nasty how sharp it is. One of the local Army-Navy surplus stores I shop at has them in stock and I always end up buying a new knife when I am in there it seems like. I happened across this one while shooping for decorations fo my oldest son's room. He got the complete camo treatment. I was actually kinda jealous when the room was done.

OKC CSI

RISC777

Off Topic, Slightly - Knives

It's just one of them looked like a Gerber Mark I boot knife. Those are coming to be scarcer and scarcer, though not as scarce as the Mark IIs. Gerbers are sharp like you said about your folding. Out of the box you can shave with them. Don't know about now, but they used to offer factory sharpening as part of their lifetime warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.