N9JIG 2013 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
My fav setup up so far....you must have a 20 amp dedicated circuit for you room. Do you have a back up battery for emergencies ? How are you coupling the antenna(s) ? A pic would be a plus.

There are actually 5 20-amp circuits in the room. Originally both this room and the neighboring bedroom shared a single circuit. I had an electrician come in and pull separate circuits, two on the west and south walls replacing the shared circuits and a new one on the east wall.

One circuit is dedicated to the Astron power supply, another to the UPS and other computer items. One is used by the wife's computer stuff, another for the entertainment stuff and the last for the regular stuff in the room like lamps and the mini-fridge.

I don't have a battery backup for the radios, I have plenty of handhelds if needed. The computers are on a UPS of course.

I have a couple Stridberg multicouplers for the various scanners, the CDM's, Kenwood and R8500 have individual antennas. I have 4 HF antennas going thru a Delta antenna switch for the HF rig. All antennas are in the attic, I gotta get up there one day and get some pics.

kd0fx

Premium Subscriber
Yes, they are all 200 scale.

That's awesome. I love to see collections like that - choosing the same scale really highlights the differences between the different planes.

N9JIG

Sheriff
It has grown since then! I just got three new planes last week, an AN-225, a 747 Shuttle Carrier with Atlantis and an RAF VC-10. I will post pics soon, things are kind of in disarray right now.

N9JIG

Sheriff
OK, due to requests here and by email, I have restored my fleet of planes to my shack. I now have most of the fleet (a few are in maintenance) on display above my radios.

I have recently added a few new ones courtesy of the wife. These include an AN-225, an SCA with shuttle and a VC-10, along with a B-17 and a couple others.

Next on my list is a B-52, KC-135, DC-7 and A-310. Some are available, but hard to come by since i only buy 1/200 scale with landing gear. I prefer metal or solid molded composite but there are a few hollow plastics that remain.

The radios really have not changed much, but I stored some of the handhelds that just aren't used right now. I usually just use my 396XT when in the field but have been playing with my PSR800 now that the local area is getting some TDMA P25 action.

Enjoy!

Overview1.jpg

Here is an overview of the shack. The center has most of the big planes, the AN-225, 747's etc.

Center.JPG

Here is a closer view of the biggies and new ones.

Big1.JPG

The newest additions to the fleet are the SCA, AN-225 and the VC-10 tanker.

mds47588

While the radios are more than impressive...I'm digging the planes. Worked about half of my adult life in the airline industry and had quite the collection at one time as well.

SCPD

QRT
When I looked at your setup, your models and what is on the screen of one of your computers I thought, well he has the trains and the planes, now where are the automobiles?

If you need to find a place to donate your unused GRE's, I will provide my address!

SCPD

QRT
Not really, although I have a bunch of small (HO scale?) wildland fire apparatus, a USFS law enforcement rig, a dozer and a replica of my yellow 1977 Land Cruiser.

I was recalling the movie "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." It was a late 80's film and might not be remembered or even known about by a lot of people. I'm getting older and such things are remembered by baby boomers like myself and not younger people. I would rather see movies without vampires, zombies, cyborgs, transformers and comic book superheros.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Do you collect model cars? Or war planes/jets?

I only collect specific aircraft models: 1/200 scale with landing gear, mostly metal or snap together. While I prefer airliners, I am starting to get more military aircraft in my fleet, but still prefer transports to fighters.

Next on my list is a KC135 and B52.

I do not collect or build other models.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Nice setup, I also appreciate all the aircraft models!! Where's the one from Southwest Airlines?

Left side, bottom row, far back, behind the America West Airbus and American 737, kind of back in the corner. Sort of like the airports they serve!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.