N9JIG Shack for 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich,

Nice layout, but have you ever thought you might have some sort of sickness?:)
I know I suffer from advanced Scanidus, Bud got it right. I actually use these however.

It was the wife who suggested using the networking cabinet, she was getting tired of the mess of wires and would leave the door closed in my office due to the mess. As a total clean freak she hates even a suggestion of wires being visible.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Nice looking setup! Shame about the antennas, though. :(
All hope might not be lost. We are looking for our next house and if I can have my way the area I want has no HOA. It is however adjacent to a small airport (which is why I like it!) so I would be limited to a 100 foot tower, which would be more than enough for me. I have already talked to the airport administration and city zoning so have no issues there.

Since we would likely build new there, I would have some ideas added in during construction, this includes a grounding system, extra electrical circuits and outlets, antenna patch panel on the outside wall, picture window in the office with a view of the airport, and the tower located adjacent to the office wall.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Rich, Randy K7AGE is doing a series of YouTube videos on the construction of his shack at his new house. In the first installment, he talks about the perimeter ground that he had installed while the house was under construction.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
All hope might not be lost. We are looking for our next house and if I can have my way the area I want has no HOA. It is however adjacent to a small airport (which is why I like it!) so I would be limited to a 100 foot tower, which would be more than enough for me. I have already talked to the airport administration and city zoning so have no issues there.

Since we would likely build new there, I would have some ideas added in during construction, this includes a grounding system, extra electrical circuits and outlets, antenna patch panel on the outside wall, picture window in the office with a view of the airport, and the tower located adjacent to the office wall.

Why not just build the house with your office on top in the form of an airport control tower? Barring that, how about making the office a corner room with picture windows on the two walls overlooking the airfield?

And lest you think I'm kidding, I'm not (completely); if I were building new in a similar location I'd give it serious consideration.

Of course, my ideal would be a house overlooking a major railroad main line (with ATCS), a major navigable waterway, and an airport! Talk about scanning heaven. . . railroad voice and data, waterway voice and data, aviation voice and data, all visible from the house!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
He suffers from SCANIDUS I am in the early stages myself.
I know I suffer from advanced Scanidus, Bud got it right. I actually use these however.

I can relate, I've got it too; just not that bad. . . .

And before I forget, who made those rack panels holding your Uniden and GRE scanners, how many rack units are they, and how much did they cost?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Why not just build the house with your office on top in the form of an airport control tower? Barring that, how about making the office a corner room with picture windows on the two walls overlooking the airfield?

And lest you think I'm kidding, I'm not (completely); if I were building new in a similar location I'd give it serious consideration.

Of course, my ideal would be a house overlooking a major railroad main line (with ATCS), a major navigable waterway, and an airport! Talk about scanning heaven. . . railroad voice and data, waterway voice and data, aviation voice and data, all visible from the house!

Before I got married I used to have an apartment alongside the C&NW New Line Sub, absolutely loved it! Of course I had a few times where guests were not aware of the train and I had to peel them off the ceiling if one blew for the crossing at 3:00 AM...

When the airport in the town I grew up in built a new tower on the other side of the airport I thought it would be awesome to buy the old one but they tore it down (probably before it fell down...) Of course I was in high school at the time but a boy can dream!

As for the new house, there are some guidelines for the neighborhood that, while there is no HOA to enforce it, I would strive to follow. There are some design element (flat roofs, no garages taller than the home, 1 acre lots and stylized driveway/mailbox structures). I would have the office in the corner, but only the rear faces the airport so the side would be where the tower goes to keep the coax runs shorter. I would put in a wall to encompass the AC, generator and pool equipment so the tower would go inside that wall for aesthetics.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I can relate, I've got it too; just not that bad. . . .

And before I forget, who made those rack panels holding your Uniden and GRE scanners, how many rack units are they, and how much did they cost?

I got them from Northcomm: Radio Rack Mount - Radio Inserts

When I bought these I got them as a package, with the panels, faceplates (JottoDesk), power supplies and 3 10u wood cabinets. I eventually ditched the 3 smaller cabinets for the one large one but saved the metalwork in case I want to make something new.

spacellamaman

It was the wife who suggested using the networking cabinet,

anyone else see that one coming? i know i didn't. the suggestion is most often to get your own divorce attorney.

aside from the ideal house also being the ideal target for the next terrorist attack (you want excitement? baby you got ittt!) the layout of the house at this airport causes a scene to play out in my mind:

Airport Employee #1: So Bob, how ya like working here?

Airport New Guy: Not bad, everyone is nice, the pay is good....but.....

Airport Employee #1: But what?

Airport New Guy: I get the strangest feeling that I am being watched.....even when I am alone on the tarmac...

Airport Employee #2: Oh that, you'll get used to it. I generally feel like I'm naked most of the time. It's really kinda liberating.

It is however adjacent to a small airport (which is why I like it!) so I would be limited to a 100 foot tower

yeah my philosophy is if ya can't BASE JUMP off yer antenny, well....it's just not worth the effort

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's awesome Rich! I like your comment:

"I bought a large clamp-on monitor stand and slung it up underneath the desk. I use it as a shelf for things like a USB hub, network switch, the power supplies for the radios and monitors etc. This reduced the clutter on the desktop significantly."

To make room for more radios right? :cool:

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Geez Rich, you're making me actually want to build a permanent station and be home for more than a month a time. lol. Freakin' awesome.

N9JIG

Sheriff
It's awesome Rich! I like your comment:

"I bought a large clamp-on monitor stand and slung it up underneath the desk. I use it as a shelf for things like a USB hub, network switch, the power supplies for the radios and monitors etc. This reduced the clutter on the desktop significantly."

To make room for more radios right? :cool:

Well, I only have a few radios actually on the desk, a HP1, HP2, SDS100, SDS100, 2 BCD996XT's, a TRX-2 and a PSR400. The bulk of the radios are in the cabinet behind me.

I just have too much stuff to include to take up space on the desktop with these auxiliary things. It also reduces the wire clutter.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Rich,
I have seen your videos, checked the pictures, read your posts AND have googled for the Driver for the rear Serial Port on the BCT15X and BCD996P2 to USB, and can't find it. All I can find is the front port driver to USB. I need the Serial to USB so as I can run my scanners from the rear to ProScan, yes like yours. Not from the front with cables hanging. Yes, I have the Serial to USB cables purchased already but my PC is only recognizing the scanners from the front port.
Thanks
Jim

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Rich,
I have seen your videos, checked the pictures, read your posts AND have googled for the Driver for the rear Serial Port on the BCT15X and BCD996P2 to USB, and can't find it. All I can find is the front port driver to USB. I need the Serial to USB so as I can run my scanners from the rear to ProScan, yes like yours. Not from the front with cables hanging. Yes, I have the Serial to USB cables purchased already but my PC is only recognizing the scanners from the front port.
Thanks
Jim

The driver should come with the serial to USB converter or downloadable from the manufacture web site. Check the Win Device Manager if it's functioning. You will need a null modem adapter or cable for the rear ports since those ports double as GPS ports. All a null modem adapter does is roll pins 2 & 3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.