Nascar fans question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
My wife and i have traditionally used headphones. Intercom systems are a bit expensive for us at this time.

N4JNW

If you can afford an intercom system, and plan to attend many races, then I'd say go for it. Races are loud... and they'l be times you'll need to speak or say something to your partner there with you. Either "I need to go pee", or "Gimme a swig", it's much easier with the intercoms.

Of course, that's just something extra. Many fans dont' use them. They get along with headphones just fine. We did.

Rice

The intercom is not the norm at the races. At Talladega a few weeks ago a guy asked my GF if we were talking to a driver.

Actually Scanners aren't as widely used as I would think, and I think that over 75% don't "scan" but just listen to one channel at a a time. I have family members that basically just use theirs as a wide band receiver. They just aren't interested in learning to program their scanner themselves.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Not really worth it for us, we don't go to cup races. Mostly local and regional stuff, which in my opinion is way better than any cup race anyways, but thats a different discussion. But most of the time at those I'm working in the pits on my friends car and she's in the stands, so an intercom wouldn't really be worth it since we'd never use it.

LordJ

Nascar Trip Update

Well, aside from a rain shortened race, Fun times...Here's the lowdown.
I decided to take my BC 92xlt..(just didn't feel safe taking the 396)..Anyway, glad I did..I bought a racing electronics headset (with AM/FM) for $69.00 says it has a 24db rating, but I'm not so sure...still sounded louder than I would have liked. Could almost wear foam plugs inside the headset.. Anyway, I programmed the scanner with the Car freq's according to car #.. (ie Super Jeff Gordon = Channel 24 Secondary channel was channel 124 ) I also programmed in the race control frequency as Ch #3 and the MRN frq to Ch #23. The MRN is a must, you not only get the play by play, but you also get the 'behind the scenes' chatter when the broadcasters are sharing info...was great during the rain delay, I knew when the race was going to come back on...Anyway, when something happened to a car, or it was pit time, I just went to whatever car it was I wanted to listen to, and listened to what was going on...No way would I bring a Dynamic memory scanner to a race, It would be too much I think..If you only had a couple drivers you wanted to listen to it might be ok, but it was nice to have them all, you never know who will crash/ have problems and you will want to listen...
Intermod WAS a small problem with the small uhf antenna I had, so I took it off and didn't even use it.
Feel free to ask questions if you want.

red69gal

Radio Shack usually has a spot and will program your RS Race scanners with the car freqs. I think the other places will program the Uniden race scanners also.
A friend of mine told his wife they should get an intercom system. Her response of no included I don't want you interrupting what I am listening to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.