Nashua PD goes dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

Law enforcement's use of digital radios and moving toward encryption has caused me to make some of my own radio communications more secure. I have also been bitten by the digital radio bug for ham and non-ham use. On a friend's UHF Part 90 DMR network, we use full encryption full time. We also use Motorola DTR and DLR radios as a high quality digital replacement for GMRS/FRS for local on-site simplex type use with family and friends. While technically not encrypted, the DTR and DLR radios can be made very secure. The DTRs and DLRs are 900MHz frequency hoppers (FHSS) and are not monitorable on any consumer grade receiver (scanner) so don't even bother trying. Aside from occasional light use of GMRS/FRS maybe once in a blue moon, I don't use analog at all anymore for my non-ham communications.

It royally sukcs that I can't listen to NPD anymore. They will lose a lot of their help from the public in solving crimes.

Last edited:

skybug

Premium Subscriber
Ya, it's a slow process and eventually they will, just plain stinks. Just burns me a bit when Nashua is concerned about their members to go and do this, when its a nice city and not really that hostile, yet you have other major cities, a lot worse than theirs that are in the clear and yet they are still in the clear, some tried full encrypt and back in the clear again and no issues there. Boston and Lowell are in the clear and Nashua is worried about themselves? After what happened in the last, somewhat major incident, they just don't want folks listening and taking the crap for what happened. Yes, these other cities have encrypted channels and would guess they switch over when needed. I listen to them all the time and what's going on.
Then you have the ones that say they provide current incidents in blog, ya, sure, delayed info, too late, you have already caught in it. Oh well, rant over, its done. Had the scanners locked on Nashua overnight, just the FD came across. It was fun while it lasted. Still have plenty in the clear and the railroads and other groups. Listening to Boston from here is always something, that last big fire they had that was on the news the next day, the scanner was locked up listening to the fire response and the PD.

NYRHKY94

Hypothetical I know, but what are the chances that Nashua and/or Manchester PD would willingly go back to being in the clear if scanner phone apps & streaming magically went away? I have my doubts they would.....

LD723

Hypothetical I know, but what are the chances that Nashua and/or Manchester PD would willingly go back to being in the clear if scanner phone apps & streaming magically went away? I have my doubts they would.....
well yeah once they are at that point, whats the point of going back? I mean there could be a chance but... lol if there wasn't any scanner apps in the first place there wouldn't have been as much of a push towards encryption than there is now but although they would probably still get there one day it wouldn't be as quick my guess.

It should be a requirement of Broadcastify that all police streams should be delayed by a minimum of 10-15 minutes.

skybug

Premium Subscriber
Only brought up them other cities as they went enc and I know one went back due to issues with the new system. Just seems funny that cities with a lot more crime are in the clear, and of all cities, Boston. Again, they do have their encrypted channels and do use them, but still a lot of normal traffic in the clear, stops, accidents, etc, nothing major, shootings, etc, which is fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.